Surgery Day Today

Oh Laurie,

She's got a tub of wax worms for a treat. Obviously she's not going to eat the whole tub! Well she would if she could. I have a question actually if anybody can help me. Before Tilly was spayed we limited her food to try and aid in her producing fewer / smaller clutches. She really does enjoy her food so I always felt so cruel. Would it be ok to now not limit her food so much?

This question has been asked before but without any clear answers
https://www.chameleonforums.com/feeding-spayed-veiled-female-101008/

I think the main thing is to not over feed her because she will eat herself into obesety if she's anything like my girl :)

Congrats on a successful surgery though. i wish her a speedy recovery!

Oh she definitely will!! The vet has just rang again and said Tilly is doing very well and shes eating and walking around! So surprised. Joe is going to fetch her tonight and I cannot wait to see her. He also said she's still a little aggressive but I'm sure once she's home she will be as perfect as ever. Just got some pain killers to give her and he said he'd like to see her in a week to check up on her making sure she has pooped and see her scar etc. So so so so so so happy. And really really please with the vet, he's just brilliant.

My little pumpkin is coming home yippeee!!!

Glad to hear that the surgery was successful and her recovery is off to a good start!! Getting her home will help alot,,, for her and mommy!! ;)

I just hope she gets her lovely personality back. She's always been a bit of a feisty madam (but I kinda like that!) but just lately shes sweet as anything with me and Joe but then take her to the vets and shes gives herself a bad name! Haha

Here we go everyone, here's a pic of Tilly just taken. About 2 hours after she got home. It's not great quality as she doesn't like the camera so didn't want to get too close.

She seems very happy to be home and shes let me give her a fuss. She has a neat little scar but can't see too great at the moment. She's got some pain killers but I tell you something, I so surprised because she's doing great. You'd never of guessed she had surgery, the vet has done a great job. She's eating normally and moving fine only just a little slower than normal.

I really am thrilled.

Attachments

• Tilly after op.jpg
    Tilly after op.jpg
    137.3 KB · Views: 111
She's got some pain killers but I tell you something, I so surprised because she's doing great.

awesome job by your vet and you for your dedication!!

i’m assuming the pain meds may be meloxicam (Metacam) or something similar rather than an opiate or tramadol. can you let me know what it is so i can pass along some advice on how to use it? and out of curiosity, who was the surgeon? i’ve met quite a few UK herp vets at conferences and such.

o—

Sure I can't remember the name of it and I'm at work at the moment so I'll check when I get home. I got up this morning and it was great to have my hallway lit up by Tilly's lights, just reminded me that Tilly is home. I ran straight down the see her and she was doing just fine. The vet is Craig Hunt at Chine House in Silby. I'll recommend him to anyone! I am pleased he wanted her back for a check up next week too. In total it was a whopping £356 in total for initial consultation, injections and xrays then operation and all meds etc.

awesome job by your vet and you for your dedication!!

i’m assuming the pain meds may be meloxicam (Metacam) or something similar rather than an opiate or tramadol. can you let me know what it is so i can pass along some advice on how to use it? and out of curiosity, who was the surgeon? i’ve met quite a few UK herp vets at conferences and such.

o—

I'm so happy to hear that Tilly is doing so well and back home with you. May she continue to have a full and complete recovery.

Yeah, Tilly is on the way to her old self. Since eggs are no longer an issue I would feed her much like a male. Just don't let her turn into a pumpkin.:rolleyes: I bet she is thrilled to be home back in her own little house, ok her cage.:) The picture wasn't bad, the healing is going fine.jmo

My dear old Tommy was gieven Metacam. It must taste nice as it was the only time in his life that he would eat every single day when his meds were injected into a locust!

Hi,

It is Metacam that shes on. Thing is she will not get mad enough for me to administer it haha. She's just a giant big green fuss pot!

Hi,

It is Metacam that shes on. Thing is she will not get mad enough for me to administer it haha. She's just a giant big green fuss pot!

It taste like honey and my guys all like it. Try putting a drop on her nose and see if she will lick it off.

Hi,

ok. my point in asking was that metacam certainly helps with pain and should be given thusly, but perhaps more importantly it is a potent anti-inflammatory. so when i dispense it i strongly advise folks to use it as directed even if they don’t feel like their pet may be hurting, as it’s properties will help speed up the healing and recovery time post-op. by bringing down swelling (even by micrometers in tissue) the body can get it’s healing factors and cells to the necessary tissue much more quickly. conversely, an opiate-based pain reliever is great for pain, but wouldn’t do any of the above factors for speeding up the recovery time. i have found that unfortunately many vets and staff don’t really clarify that issue when dispensing it or other post-op NSAID’s, and the pet doesn’t benefit from the meds as clients stop giving it when their pet acts normally again which may be the next day.

so anyhoo, i would strongly suggest using it as prescribed which is usually a dose every other day in herps.

o-

When Tommy was on Metacam long term I used to inject it into a locust every day. It was the only time of his life that he actually ate every single day. It tastes nice, apparently.

When Tommy was on Metacam long term I used to inject it into a locust every day. It was the only time of his life that he actually ate every single day. It tastes nice, apparently.

to me it smells and tastes like ferret ass. truly!

but Mexican liquid Flagyl is delicious! just like a lime margarita, and very sweet. Albon is butterscotchy and not bad. Panacur has nothing appealing going for it.

so sweet

such a nice story, glad things went well. Amazing bonds we share with our animals 8)

Grown men don't cry right? 8P

ok. my point in asking was that metacam certainly helps with pain and should be given thusly, but perhaps more importantly it is a potent anti-inflammatory. so when i dispense it i strongly advise folks to use it as directed even if they don’t feel like their pet may be hurting, as it’s properties will help speed up the healing and recovery time post-op. by bringing down swelling (even by micrometers in tissue) the body can get it’s healing factors and cells to the necessary tissue much more quickly. conversely, an opiate-based pain reliever is great for pain, but wouldn’t do any of the above factors for speeding up the recovery time.

Great info, Dr. O !
That's the type of information that cham owners should be told, so they know not to stop it early, thinking they are doing their cham a favor by not stressing him/her--while actually hindering the healing process.

Back
Top Bottom