Suppose to be a male....

She looks much better in these photos!!! From the last set I was worried because it looked like she was way over heated in the top left pic. I'm guessing you made all the adjustments?
Yes to the basking light. No to the egg laying bin. I plan to go to the store tomorrow for something she can lay eggs in when she is ready. I'm guessing I'll just leave it in there at all times. I've read to mix organic soil and play sand. Is that correct?

Is there price diff between male and female? Did the OP make out if they paid for a male, or vice versa and should get some $ back?

Is there price diff between male and female? Did the OP make out if they paid for a male, or vice versa and should get some $ back?
They swapped her out for a male. I'm not happy with what happened. I guess I learned my lesson to not deal with pet stores. The male I have now is older than the female I received, but I took him anyways! I would have loved to keep both of them, but I'm new to owning a chameleon so I want to just have only one.

I don't know how old he is or what type of panther he is, but I'm going to give him a good home!

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    314.7 KB · Views: 97
I think you better take your new male to the vet and bring a stool sample with you. The second set of pictures of the female are showing a subcutaneous nematode on her right lower side. I would imagine the pet store get their chameleons from the same place which would make your new male suspect for parasites. Or return him for a refund and find a reputable breeder to get a healthy male from.

I think you better take your new male to the vet and bring a stool sample with you. The second set of pictures of the female are showing a subcutaneous nematode on her right lower side. I would imagine the pet store get their chameleons from the same place which would make your new male suspect for parasites. Or return him for a refund and find a reputable breeder to get a healthy male from.
Thanks for the reply. I need to read about that subcutaneous nematode. I noticed it that day but never seen it again after that one time, so I figured it was nothing at all! I personally know the owner at the pet shop. My dad was in partnership with him over 15 or more years. I will keep an eye out for my new guy and find a vet that could check him out. I will definitely bring it to the owner of the pet shops attention!

Thanks for the reply. I need to read about that subcutaneous nematode. I noticed it that day but never seen it again after that one time, so I figured it was nothing at all! I personally know the owner at the pet shop. My dad was in partnership with him over 15 or more years. I will keep an eye out for my new guy and find a vet that could check him out. I will definitely bring it to the owner of the pet shops attention!
Do you know if their chams are wild caught? The male you have now looks like he could be a wild caught Nosy Be. Most captive bred Nosy Be males in the hobby these days are quite a bit bluer than yours, but a lot of the wild ones are mostly green, yours has the blue tail that suggests Nosy Be.

Do you know if their chams are wild caught? The male you have now looks like he could be a wild caught Nosy Be. Most captive bred Nosy Be males in the hobby these days are quite a bit bluer than yours, but a lot of the wild ones are mostly green, yours has the blue tail that suggests Nosy Be.
I have absolutely no information on him! That's why I will never buy from a pet store! I do know that he comes from Cazoo (California Zoological). Next one will be from a breeder who loves these animals.

Hmm, this does look concerning. I have to agree with @bobcochran that she needs to be checked out for nematodes. I don't like these squiggles on her side at all, especially since they seem to move and change. (I'm on my phone or I would circle them.)

If you just got a new cham, I would recommend very aggressive quarantine between the two just in case. Quarantine is always a good idea, but until you are can rule out subq nematodes in your female, it's doubly important.

Keep us posted?

Edit: I need to learn to read. I see you swapped her for a male. I agree - definitely have him checked out. The opportunity for cross infection is too great. Still keep us posted.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    314 KB · Views: 94
  • image (1).jpeg
    image (1).jpeg
    263.2 KB · Views: 97
Hmm, this does look concerning. I have to agree with @bobcochran that she needs to be checked out for nematodes. I don't like these squiggles on her side at all, especially since they seem to move and change. (I'm on my phone or I would circle them.)

If you just got a new cham, I would recommend very aggressive quarantine between the two just in case. Quarantine is always a good idea, but until you are can rule out subq nematodes in your female, it's doubly important.

Keep us posted?

Edit: I need to learn to read. I see you swapped her for a male. I agree - definitely have him checked out. The opportunity for cross infection is too great. Still keep us posted.
No need to circle! I know exactly the spots you are talking about. I looked up nematodes and it looks exactly like that! Very concerning and I will call the pet shop tomorrow to talk to the owner. I still care for her very much!

When I brought home the female, she was lively and ready to eat from my hand and all. Now that I have this male home, he hasn't eaten anything and has stayed in one spot on the bottom in his home! Should I be worried that he isn't moving to the top to warm up?

He doesn't look bad in the photo you posted, maybe just a little dehydrated. I would make sure he has plenty of water and see if he's drinking. It would be nice if he would poop so you can evaluate what may be going on in his gut. What are the temps in the upper and lower sections of your cage?
Also I would pump the pet shop for more info, how long have they had him, has he been eating and drinking, what temps did they keep in his cage, was his poop firm with white urates or runny or yellow/orange urates?

I checked out Calzoo , they are wholesale only, and they sell both wild caught and captive bred reptiles. I would think the pet shop owner could get some info from them about their pardalis sources.

He doesn't look bad in the photo you posted, maybe just a little dehydrated. I would make sure he has plenty of water and see if he's drinking. It would be nice if he would poop so you can evaluate what may be going on in his gut. What are the temps in the upper and lower sections of your cage?
Also I would pump the pet shop for more info, how long have they had him, has he been eating and drinking, what temps did they keep in his cage, was his poop firm with white urates or runny or yellow/orange urates?

I checked out Calzoo , they are wholesale only, and they sell both wild caught and captive bred reptiles. I would think the pet shop owner could get some info from them about their pardalis sources.
The pet shop is closed today due to Mardi Gras parades going on, so I'll try tomorrow to get in touch with the owner. I put only four crickets this morning to see if he would eat them and I see two hiding and don't know where the other two are hiding. I'm hoping he ate them! I have a automatic mister, but I'm dripping some water into his mouth to make sure he is drinking and spraying the leaves on the plant he is hanging out by just to make sure he is getting water. I know I got him the day after he shipped from the wholesale place and I'm sure he is exhausted from being stressed of being shipped to a new place. I'll give him a couple of days to get used to his environment.

It's a good and bad thing to get them as soon as they come in. On one hand they don't sit at the pet shop in substandard conditions, but on the other hAnd you don't get any feedback as to what's going on with the chameleon. I'm still thinking a vet visit is in your future, but check out his behavior and feces/urates to determine your next move. If a vet visit is in order you need to find a qualified herp vet, which you can do on this website.
I agree that he needs a settling in period before you can make an informed opinion.

It's a good and bad thing to get them as soon as they come in. On one hand they don't sit at the pet shop in substandard conditions, but on the other hAnd you don't get any feedback as to what's going on with the chameleon. I'm still thinking a vet visit is in your future, but check out his behavior and feces/urates to determine your next move. If a vet visit is in order you need to find a qualified herp vet, which you can do on this website.
I agree that he needs a settling in period before you can make an informed opinion.
Would you be able to lead me in the right direction on this page so I can find a qualified herp vet?

Back
Top Bottom