Supplements...confused!!

CrazyCalvin

Hi everyone,

So sorry if this has been answered before but i cant seem to find the thread any where.

Had my chameleon just over a week now and i absolutely adore him :D

I just want to know if i'm going along the right lines at the moment...

I've researched so much now so can some one please clarify for me...in the simplest terms...what and how often he needs to have supplements?? :confused:

I was told by the person who sold him to me to give him calcium with every feed (dusted over) and i've been using grated cutle fish to do this and i have also been giving him Nutrobal on a weekly basis...is this correct?!?

Your help would be great

i dont know about grated cuttle fish or nutrolbal, but i use a reptile calcium dust without d3 on my feeders at almost every feeding and a calcium with d3 about once a month as well as a multivitamin once a month.

Well most of us on the forum here that are in the US use calcium without d3 at every feeding. LIGHTLY dust your feeders. then we use calcium with d3 a couple of times and a multi vitamin twice amonth. This seems to keep our chams healthy. There are many brands to use but do not know what is available to you in the UK.

ok thank you both, hoping someone from the uk will name a product as i dont have many places around me to go to, i think i'll have to resort to ordering some products online,

thanks for your help

Main thing is whatever you get to not over dose on d3 especially if your cham gets lots of natural sunlight when weather allows. I know it is cold over there now!!

unfortunately my cham doesnt get any natural sunlight as i live in a flat, but his uv light is on approx 12 hours a day. I just hope he's getting what he needs, i dont want him getting ill! I've read so much information i'm confused haha!! But you've made things clearer for me now :)

There are plenty of members on here from the UK, one is named Miss Lilly. You could private message her and ask her about her supplements and where she gets them. to send a private message, go into your User CP in the upper left corner and go into Private messages and then send a message. Type in her name and your message. I am sure she can help u.

ok thank you both, hoping someone from the uk will name a product as i dont have many places around me to go to, i think i'll have to resort to ordering some products online,

thanks for your help

you are doing fine with the produt(s) you are using. I would back off on the Nutrobal to once a month.
try also to look into feeding your feeders better and you can slowly cut back on all dusting.

Miss Lilly should be PMed and she will love to help answer more of your local product needs.

Harry

feeding my feeders in one of my concerns because i dont think im feeding them enough. I'm currently giving them brown bread, carrots and apples, but i'm finding it hard to put the food in their tubs without them escaping!! arghhh!! Thanks for your help tho guys :)

Try some dark leafy greens, I would not use the bread. Try some collard greens, mustard greens, kale, romaine etc stuff like that if it is available to you over there! I don't mean to sound insulting, I just don't know what is grown in your country.

i shall take a trip to my local tesco's tomorrow :) i heard someone on here say locusts like wild rocket so i think i'll get some of that. U didnt sound insulting :D all info is very helpful :)

hey dude im from south wales, merthyr tydfil. KOMODO calcium, for young chams dust 3 times a week, you could use your nutrobal once every 2 weeks and use ZOO MED repti-vite without d3 once every 2 weeks. when using these supplements make sure that you are only dusting the feeders, only a small amount of supplement powder is needed. as your cham gets older (8-9 months) dust twice a week with calcium. when he reaches 18 months he should more or less be mature and should only need his feeders dusted with calcium once a week. just becarful using the vitamin supplements, dont over do it.

i gutload my feeders everyday sometimes i use wet gutload (apple, carrot, pear, dandilion leaves, orange, lemon etc) sometimes a dry gutload (baby cereals, bee pollen, alfalfa powder, kelp, spirulina etc) i use very thin slices of fruit so it is eaten quickly and less chance of mould. big chunks of fruit dont get fully eaten and rot. with the dry gutload i crush a few of each tablets eg. bee pollen, spirulina, bue green algae etc mix them together, add some baby cereal. shake the tub with all the crushed tablets, powders and cereal, to mix it up and the powder sticks to the ceareal and then i use this to gutload. may sound complicated but the whole process takes literally minutes. all dry products will be available from uk store holland&bareetts, they usually have sales on.

also have you been on the uk reptile forums? google

hope this helps you and doesnt confuse you

Rob

These are the 3 supplements that I use:

full

I use the taller canister in every feeding. It is a Calcium supplement without D3. I use it every feeding dusting the crickets lightly. The 2 smaller white jars are used only 2 times a month each. They are a Calcium WITH D3 and a multi-vitamin supplement. I choose Friday for the days I use these. I alternate every other Friday with the 2 jar dusting lightly to make sure I don't provide too much supplement and overdo it. Here is a pic of the general look that I try to achieve when I dust:

full

full

This is a feeder with too much powder on it, cricket dusting like this should be avoided as much as possible:

full

Hope this helps some

Last edited by a moderator:
Try some dark leafy greens, I would not use the bread. Try some collard greens, mustard greens, kale, romaine etc stuff like that if it is available to you over there! I don't mean to sound insulting, I just don't know what is grown in your country.

oh, like we in the US don't import 80% of our produce?

Harry

Hey Fowlers thank you for your fab information!!! Great to hear from someone in wales!! :)
and silkyslim your information has been really helpful, judging by your pics i have been dusting my locusts too much, think im worrying that my cham isnt going to get enough supplement!!
Looks like i'll have to try and order my things online as Pets at Home is the nearest place to me and to say they are useles....would be an understatement!!!

Thanks again :D

no probs m8, just remember to "dust" the feeders not coat them in powder, just a light dusting. the products that were posted in the thread are not available over here in the uk. eg herptivite etc. (although i do use the herptivite because it was imported from america, but i have never seen it in shops)

rob

Back
Top Bottom