Supplementing Carpets

YoshiBabyDragon

I've got a 2 a half month old male F.Lat.Lat. Since he's a youngin I've got him on exo terra calcium with d3 and multi vitamin twice a week. Once he's about 4 months i'll slow down to twice a month. I keep him inside under a reptisun 5 uvb and a basking light. My question is: should I also get plain calcium and alternate every time i dust cuz i've been reading that slightly less d3 and more uvb could be beneficial. Also, should I get Reptivite by zoomed for its pure vit. A properties, if so, how often should I switch from the regular vitamins? I've got homemade cricket gut load of a variety of fresh veg. Please help!

First if all I have to say that I have limited experience with carpet chameleons...but I would think the following would still apply.

IMHO a phos - free calcium powder should be used at most feedings since most of the feeder insects have a poor ratio of calcium to phos.

I also dust twice a month with a phos - free calcium / D3 powder. This gives the chameleon some D3 without overdosing it and leaving it to produce the rest from its exposure to the UVB. D3 from supplements can build up in the system and lead to health issues but D3 produced from exposure shouldn't build up as long as the chameleon can move in and out of the UVB when it wants to.

I dust twice a month with a vitamin powder that contains a beta carotene (prOformed) source of vitamin A. PrEformed vitamin A will build up in the system while prOformed won't. This leaves it in the owner's hands to decide whether to use prEformed or not.

Hope this helps a little!

This is what Dooley1 told me:
I supplement with calcium (without D3) 1 X week for adult males, and 1 x week with Reptivite without D3. Then 2 X month I use calcium with D3.

Back
Top Bottom