Supplement Question

Bio123

Just a quick question... what are all of your schedules for supplements. I am going with the current plan, but i'm not sure if it's the best:

Calcium without D3 or Phosphate: Every Day
Calcium with D3: Once a Week- Friday
Herptivite: Once a Week- Friday

Close...
Your right about the calcium without D3
Calcium with D3- about 1 to 2 times a month
Herptivite- one time per month

This would be good for a cham kept inside.

I would say it depends on what brands of supplements you are using, how heavily you dust, what type of chameleon it is, what insects you are using, and what you gutload with. There is no single schedule that fits all situations.

For example, Rep-Cal has 400,000 IU/kg of D3 whereas Miner-All (I) has 4,400 IU/kg of D3 and I think 150IU D3 in Nutribol. That's a considerable difference in D3 strength. If I were using Rep-Cal (which I am, with indoor panther chameleons), once or twice a month is sufficient. But if I were using Miner-All-I, I might think weekly was better. If I were using Nutribol, I wouldnt use it every week as it also has preformed vitamin A, so I'd want another product for most D3 days and use the Nutibol monthly max.

You may find this blog entry useful:
https://www.chameleonforums.com/blogs/sandrachameleon/65-supplements.html

Here are the specs:
-brands of supplements you are using: Reptical
-how heavily you dust:2 mg, using a sea monkey spoon
-what type of chameleon it is: veiled
-what insects you are using: mainly crickets
-you gutload with: Flukers cricket meal

Hope this helps!:)

Using that brand, I would perhaps go with calcium lightly on all crickets. One day (such as Sunday) in the first and third week of a month I would use the RepCal D3 instead. on the alternating weeks 2 and 4 I would use a vitamin supplement. if there were a fifth sunday I'd just use plain calcium. There are other factors, such as UVB source, male or female, etc.

I think if I were you I would consider improving the gutload, offering a wider selection of insects.

If the food selection remains primarily or exclusively crickets, Id consider also looking into adding a pre-formed vitamin a supplement perhaps once a year.
I personally never use preformed vitamin A, but it sounds like I provide a wider variety of insects and gutload better - in my opinion - than you do. There are a number of people who say small amounts of preformed vitamin A is quite important, and I believe its likely many of those folks might also provide a limited diet for their chameleon, hence the need.

Consider actually reading all the info provided in the blog entry to which I linked you earlier. being well informed will go a long way to helping you determine what's right for your situation.

Bio123, I believe that Reptical contains phosphorus

Please look at the ingredients and the nutrient list.
Unless they changed the formula--it contains calcium phosphate.
You need calcium without phosphorus.
Please check it and let me know if they have changed that.

My calcium supplement is Rep-Cal Calcium. It says that there's no phosphorous or D3 on the front. The only ingredient is 100% Natural phosphorus-free oyster shell calcium.

Here are the specs:
-brands of supplements you are using: Reptical
-how heavily you dust:2 mg, using a sea monkey spoon
-what type of chameleon it is: veiled
-what insects you are using: mainly crickets
-you gutload with: Flukers cricket meal

Hope this helps!:)

This is why I had asked you.
I'm very glad you simply made a typo, for the reason previously mentioned.

I had the same question... I'm using the screameleons method:

FOR JUVENILES KEPT INDOORS (the one I use)

Rep-Cal Calcium w/ D3 every other day
Herptivite dust crickets twice a week...

Any recommendations on what kind of food should I be gutloading my crix?
Right now I'm using the cricket crack, oranges, sweet potatoes (yams), and carrot slices.

I hope this is OK!?

I had the same question... I'm using the screameleons method:

FOR JUVENILES KEPT INDOORS (the one I use)
Rep-Cal Calcium w/ D3 every other day
Herptivite dust crickets twice a week...

Any recommendations on what kind of food should I be gutloading my crix?
Right now I'm using the cricket crack, oranges, sweet potatoes (yams), and carrot slices.
I hope this is OK!?

I wouldnt use that much D3 nor that much Herptivite, if I were you.
Your gutload sounds fine. This blog entry may be of interest:
https://www.chameleonforums.com/blogs/sandrachameleon/75-feeder-nutrition.html
If you're only using crickets, consider adding more variety/choice in feeders too.

I wouldnt use that much D3 nor that much Herptivite, if I were you.
Your gutload sounds fine. This blog entry may be of interest:
https://www.chameleonforums.com/blogs/sandrachameleon/75-feeder-nutrition.html
If you're only using crickets, consider adding more variety/choice in feeders too.

I just bought a baby panther chameleon from screameleons this week and was going on that same exact supplementation recipe. My chameleon is doing good so far in the 5 days I've had him. He is drinking and eating about 10- 12, 1/4" crickets a day. I've been gut loading with carrots, romaine, and apples. I am really confused now about the supplementation. I have been reading a lot lately on this board about not using Repcal w/D3 too much, nor the multivitamins. I have RepCal w/D3 and just bought Herpivite. If I am not supposed to use that much D3, then should I dust lightly with Repcal without D3 every feeding, and only use the Repcal w/D3 twice a month, alternating weeks? And am I only supposed to use the Hepivite 2 times a month as well? My chameleon will not be getting much natural sunlight until the summer, so I am using a 60 watt basking light and a 5.0 Reptisun UVB bulb which he sits about 4-6" underneath. I have another fixture to house another 5.0 Reptisun bulb - would 2 bulbs be better than 1, or is that too much? Any help is much appreciated!:)

Back
Top Bottom