Supplement/ Lighting Question

Zilla23

Established Member
Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - Male Ambilobe Panther, 4-5 months, I have had him four weeks
  • Handling - Rarely, he eats from my hand but only got on my hand twice.
  • Feeding - Mainly crickets, (he hasn't taken to BSFL or hornworms yet, have some super worms and blue bottle spikes coming to try) papaya, mango and watercress for crickets
  • Supplements - ZooMed Repti-Calcium without D3 every feeding, Zoo Med Repti-Calcium With D3 every other week, Reptivite with D3 every other week (alternating from the Repti-Calcium with D3)
  • Watering - Mist King on a schedule of: 8:00 a.m. 2 minutes, Noon 5 minutes, 3:00 2 minutes, 6:00 p.m. 2 minutes, he does drink from the leaves and the drops on the screen
  • Fecal Description - not tested for parasites yet, consistent bowel movements, very white urates and solid feces
  • History - none

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - 18x18x36 Reptibreeze screen cage (I am already preparing upgrade to 24x24x48)
  • Lighting - ZooMed Repti Basking spot light 75 watt, Zoo Med Reptisun 5.0 UVB T8
  • Temperature - Basking varies from 80-85 (although he seems to want it hotter, he gets as close as he can to top) , lower part of cage is around 72
  • Humidity - I have two hygrometers one near the top, one near the bottom, average of about 60%, I have a humidifier that I run at night next to cage, I have front and one side of cage covered with plastic shelf liner.
  • Plants -All live plants, pothos, schefflera and dragon tree
  • Placement - cage is on top of a cabinet, top is about 5' high, it is in a corner, near a window, I have covered the air vent so as not to create a draft.
  • Location - Central Alabama, United States

Current Problem - I was worried that I might be giving too much D3 since my alternating weeks of calcium WITH D3 and Reptivite that had D3, should I ditch the calcium with D3 and just do the Reptivite or change to a different brand? Also I have seen comments about the 12% UVB, do I need to change to that or am I good with just the 5%

Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - Male Ambilobe Panther, 4-5 months, I have had him four weeks
  • Handling - Rarely, he eats from my hand but only got on my hand twice.
  • Feeding - Mainly crickets, (he hasn't taken to BSFL or hornworms yet, have some super worms and blue bottle spikes coming to try) papaya, mango and watercress for crickets
  • Supplements - ZooMed Repti-Calcium without D3 every feeding, Zoo Med Repti-Calcium With D3 every other week, Reptivite with D3 every other week (alternating from the Repti-Calcium with D3)
  • Watering - Mist King on a schedule of: 8:00 a.m. 2 minutes, Noon 5 minutes, 3:00 2 minutes, 6:00 p.m. 2 minutes, he does drink from the leaves and the drops on the screen
  • Fecal Description - not tested for parasites yet, consistent bowel movements, very white urates and solid feces
  • History - none

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - 18x18x36 Reptibreeze screen cage (I am already preparing upgrade to 24x24x48)
  • Lighting - ZooMed Repti Basking spot light 75 watt, Zoo Med Reptisun 5.0 UVB T8
  • Temperature - Basking varies from 80-85 (although he seems to want it hotter, he gets as close as he can to top) , lower part of cage is around 72
  • Humidity - I have two hygrometers one near the top, one near the bottom, average of about 60%, I have a humidifier that I run at night next to cage, I have front and one side of cage covered with plastic shelf liner.
  • Plants -All live plants, pothos, schefflera and dragon tree
  • Placement - cage is on top of a cabinet, top is about 5' high, it is in a corner, near a window, I have covered the air vent so as not to create a draft.
  • Location - Central Alabama, United States

Current Problem - I was worried that I might be giving too much D3 since my alternating weeks of calcium WITH D3 and Reptivite that had D3, should I ditch the calcium with D3 and just do the Reptivite or change to a different brand? Also I have seen comments about the 12% UVB, do I need to change to that or am I good with just the 5%
5.0 or 6% uvb
92B65C47-098E-4B71-A87F-6F33593DA661.jpeg
35374FB3-6F4C-40AE-9D98-02395CE0EEA1.jpeg

Since you have a panther, you should not need the 12%. 12% is good for veiled chameleons, but too much for panthers (unless they have extremely dense foliage to block out some of it)

Last I checked all Dracaena species are safe for chameleon enclosures. Could be wrong though. Either way, dragon tree or dragon plant is such a vague name and could be any plant... Scientific names are the most accurate way to ID plants.

10.0 or 12% for panthers are only for large densely planted vivs. What is a dragon tree?
so from you photos, which are awesome by the way, I am good to ditch the calcium WITH D3 every other week and just do the Reptivite with D3 twice a month?

Back
Top Bottom