superworms

plant bootlegg

i have had my fischers chameleon for just over a year now. he seems happy overall and very explorative. he pretty much gets free run of the apartment whenever i am here and he climbs onto me or my girlfriend freely and with very little hesitation. my current inquiry is related to feeding. i initially started with crickets, and he would eat maybe one or two every couple of days. a couple months ago i switched to superworms as his primary food and he seems to prefer them, eating at least one or two a day. he is still very active and never lethargic, so i'm just looking for some advice maybe? is this normal? i tried crickets again a short time ago and he wasn't interested in them and they just died, but he still eats his worms. so given that he is active and mobile, i am assuming that he is fine. so maybe some thoughts?
much appreciated

i have had my fischers chameleon for just over a year now. he seems happy overall and very explorative. he pretty much gets free run of the apartment whenever i am here and he climbs onto me or my girlfriend freely and with very little hesitation. my current inquiry is related to feeding. i initially started with crickets, and he would eat maybe one or two every couple of days. a couple months ago i switched to superworms as his primary food and he seems to prefer them, eating at least one or two a day. he is still very active and never lethargic, so i'm just looking for some advice maybe? is this normal? i tried crickets again a short time ago and he wasn't interested in them and they just died, but he still eats his worms. so given that he is active and mobile, i am assuming that he is fine. so maybe some thoughts?
much appreciated
ok in the lizard world, superworms is mcdonalds, low nutrition with (Possible) digestion issues. They certainly are not nutritious enough to be a primary feeder. I in fact dislike them so much, i refuse to use superworms or mealworms. I would recommend you stick with crickets as a staple, or if you had to have a worm as a staple i would recomend silkworms as they are high in protein. Silk worms, butter worms, and the occasional wax worm is good for worms, crickets,roaches, or silkies as a staple

Hes mostly likely just food striking, dont give him the option of supers, or meal worms, and instead just start to give him silk worms, until he starts eating

ok in the lizard world, superworms is mcdonalds, low nutrition with (Possible) digestion issues. They certainly are not nutritious enough to be a primary feeder. I in fact dislike them so much, i refuse to use superworms or mealworms. I would recommend you stick with crickets as a staple, or if you had to have a worm as a staple i would recomend silkworms as they are high in protein. Silk worms, butter worms, and the occasional wax worm is good for worms, crickets,roaches, or silkies as a staple

I always get silkworms and superworms confused!

Yes, superworms are not a good staple.

I had one of my chameleons become so addicted to them that he refused to eat nothing else! I held my ground and offered him nothing but roaches, when he got hungry enough he went for the roaches, I offer them occasionally but don't let him abuse them anymore Lol :rolleyes:

I always get silkworms and superworms confused!

Yes, superworms are not a good staple.
i would worry about the silk worms as much as if they were supers, Just do it this way. i put 40% crickets, 40 percent supers, then a variable like locust, butters, etc

I have 3 Fishers ( I hate using that term, I have 3 Kinyongia multituberculata which is what I'm going to assume you have as well). Two males that are wild caught adults and one CBB female. The female will eat crickets, very small supers, Dubia roaches-pretty much whatever I offer her. One of the males I have will eat crickets on an occassion, but prefers worms and Dubias. The other male could have crickets climbimg over his body and he will just ignore them. There is sometimes 5-6 crickets up in the corner of his cage chirping away and he won't acknowlege them, but if I open up the door of his cage with a Dubia crawling on my hand, he'll zap it up. Same with superworms. Is your male a wild caught or captive bred? It seems to be a factor with what they prefer for some reason.

My guys on ponazuril, and all hell want now is supers. It's driving me crazy. I have been forced to give him them when I need to syringe his medication just to get his mouth open

Stay away!

I think the point is only feeding it one thing they will miss out the nutriuon value of other feeders such as dubia and silk worms

The point is to not let them get away eating "only supers" as variety is key to a chameleons diet, and being that some get the taste of supers and "hold out" for them... You need to hold your ground and make sure they get a varied diet. I prefer supers over mealworms because you can gut load them properly, but they should not be more than 10% of the chameleons diet IMHO

Superworms are not evil. They are a worthwhile addition (when gutloaded) to a chameleons diet. The important thing is to use a WIDE VARIETY of feeders. No staple. IMHO have no one feeder make up more than 20% of your chameleons diet, and if possible aim for nothing being more than 10%.

Stop offering too many superworms, and your chameleon will stop eating too many of them.

sandrachameleon has a great understanding of nutrition but i have to disagree with using this poor nutritional contained insect as a snack. using this insect as a "snack" isn't going to hurt your animal but it doesnt have any special ingredient your chameleon wont live without. as a matter of fact, a chameleon in the wild will never see a superworm (as with many of the other insects we feed). you have many other options to feed other than this feeder...your chameleon will live a long happy life without this in your regiment. I GUARANTEE THIS!

If you do choose to use this insect. Follow sandrachameleons blogs on dry gut load ingredients. It is very important to do this and as said above dont use these as a staple.

Staples (you can gut load these very well and are great staple feeders): Dubia, Turkistans, Discoids, Crickets

Great Snacks: Silk worms And Horn worms

Other Snacks: Cicadas, Grass hoppers, Katydids, Moths, Butterflies, Flies, Spiders, Isopods, Mantis, Indian Sticks, Butterworms

To give a variety of insects is great but it is not necessary.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom