Superworms vs Mealworms

Weebo

Avid Member
What is the difference between Superworms and the Giant mealworms? In pictures they looks exactly the same

Supers:
full size without alteration
stay supers unless they are placed in individual cups, then they beetleize
Can not be refrigerated
Lower chiten vs mealworms
will eat each other if starved
will not be killed off via grain mite infestation

Giant/King:
normal meal worms that have been exposed to a chemical to grow them 2x in size
will turn into beetles regardless of conditions
can be refrigerated (but not recommended)
lower chiten vs crickets, higher vs supers
If you get grainmites, Its GG for the colony and you need to nuke it from orbit in order to be sure.

Interesting. Do they look any different? I always buy Superworms from my store but I see giant mealworms online and was always curious of the difference

Superworms and giant mealworms look very similar. They are both the larval stage of different species of darkling beetle. Superworms are naturally much larger than mealworms but giant mealworms are mealworms that have been exposed to a hormone that prevents pupation so the mealworms just continue to grow and grow without turning into beetles. Sometimes the giant mealworms will pupate but the resulting beetles are sterile. Giant mealworms and superworms look so similar that some pet stores will sell you giant mealworms that they call superworms and charge double the price.

Superworms are fattier than mealworms, if I’m remembering correctly, but they have a higher nutritional content. Superworms are also more aggressive than mealworms, but that can be fixed by pinching their heads before feeding.

Back
Top Bottom