Superworm bite

Ivy

I have a 3 month old male veiled chameleon. He's on a diet of mostly crickets with the occasional superworm. I hand feed him the superworms. I grabbed one today and it bit me several times. Dart got it but left its head sticking out of his mouth. Before he could swallow it, it twisted over and bit him and he squeaked. Should I be concerned? It didn't leave a mark but he turned dark gray when it got him.

It may leave a little black mark. Just keep a close eye on it. If there is a small wound, hopefully it will heal up quickly. I don’t like feeding supers for exactly this reason. However, I’ve noticed my chams usually will aim to grab the heads of any worm I give them. I’d suggest waiting until your cham is older and bigger before giving supers again. If you want to give treats, try wax worms or silk worms instead…no bitey parts.

It may leave a little black mark. Just keep a close eye on it. If there is a small wound, hopefully it will heal up quickly. I don’t like feeding supers for exactly this reason. However, I’ve noticed my chams usually will aim to grab the heads of any worm I give them. I’d suggest waiting until your cham is older and bigger before giving supers again. If you want to give treats, try wax worms or silk worms instead…no bitey parts.
Ok thank-you. He's a light green again and he's basking so he's acting normal. There's no black mark.

Consider ordering small superworms if your going to feed them. Their mandibles are not as strong as the larger ones.

Reactions: Ivy
I only give my chameleon small-medium supers (I give the larger ones to my bearded dragon).
When the cham was young (3-6 months) he got no supers at all—just giant mealworms (not a size; they're treated with a hormone to retard metamorphosis).

Back
Top Bottom