Superworm Bite/Mouth Rot

louwillie

Chameleon Info:

* Your Chameleon - Veiled; Male; 15 months old; 1 year under my care.
* Handling - Never due to him being aggressive.
* Feeding - Crickets and superworms; 5-10 crickets or 3-5 superworms every other day; Crickets feed on carrots and superworms feed on wheat germ and potato slices.
* Supplements - RepCal w/ D3 and w/o, Herptivite; Every other feeding with RepCal w/o D3, twice a month w/ D3, and once a month with Herptivite.
* Watering - I mist with a spray bottle three times a day for about a minute long.
* Fecal Description - Droppings seem to be normal.
* History - No previous history besides him biting me on the thumb. (OUCH!!)

Cage Info:

* Cage Type - 18x18x36" Screen Cage
* Lighting - UVB- ZooMed Repti Sun 5.0; Basking Bulb- 60 Watt Halogen Bulb; On for 12 hours.
* Temperature - Between 70 and 85 (basking) degrees; I use a thermometer.
* Humidity - 60% and up.
* Plants - I just got a pothos, but the vines are very short right now, so I've added artificial vines to his cage. I used to have a palm plant that he also hid behind.
* Placement - Cage is located in my bedroom near my closet.
* Location - Los Angeles, CA

Current Problem - For a week I've noticed a small dark spot oh his bottom lip in the front. I'm worried that this could be mouth rot or a bite from a superworm. He has also been hiding/sleeping on his cage floor just behind the plant. Also, he has dropped from the top of his screen cage to the cage floor, but still does fine. I'm just fifteen years old and I take responsibility for all my animals. I don't have any money for a vet and my parents don't want to pay for one if that's the case.

Thank you so much!

Everything in your set up looks good. The only thing I would change up is your gutload and use a better variety of fresh fruits and veggies. This I am sure has nothing to do with the black spot. I just wanted to say my chameleon had a black spot on the front of his mouth on the top part of his lip. When he opened his mouth I could see it was only on the outside and was not black on the inside. I kept an eye on it and one day I saw it coming off. It looked to be like a piece of shed that had stuck and then I think he might have rubbed it on the screen or something and it kind of turned black. It fell off and the skin underneath was perfect. I am not saying that is what it is but maybe could be a possibility for you? Have you looked inside his mouth to see if the blackness extends to the inside? when you say sleeping, do you mean during the day then, cause I am sure you know that is not normal or good.

Everything in your set up looks good. The only thing I would change up is your gutload and use a better variety of fresh fruits and veggies. This I am sure has nothing to do with the black spot. I just wanted to say my chameleon had a black spot on the front of his mouth on the top part of his lip. When he opened his mouth I could see it was only on the outside and was not black on the inside. I kept an eye on it and one day I saw it coming off. It looked to be like a piece of shed that had stuck and then I think he might have rubbed it on the screen or something and it kind of turned black. It fell off and the skin underneath was perfect. I am not saying that is what it is but maybe could be a possibility for you? Have you looked inside his mouth to see if the blackness extends to the inside? when you say sleeping, do you mean during the day then, cause I am sure you know that is not normal or good.

Ya when he hisses at me I don't see any black. The inside of his mouth looks perfectly fine. I don't mean sleeping, but like resting and dark colors, too.

I would just keep an eye on it and make sure it does not change and get bigger or anything. It could maybe be a little bruise or something. As long as the inside of his mouth looks ok, I wouldn't worry too much. You could always post a pic of a close up if possible. It wouldn't hurt for members to view and maybe make an assessment. I mean I don't want to steer you wrong and tell you it is nothing and have it turn out to be something! My cham is mostly dark in his cage, so I don't freak out too much about that either. As long as he is not closing his eyes or sleeping during the day.

I would just keep an eye on it and make sure it does not change and get bigger or anything. It could maybe be a little bruise or something. As long as the inside of his mouth looks ok, I wouldn't worry too much. You could always post a pic of a close up if possible. It wouldn't hurt for members to view and maybe make an assessment. I mean I don't want to steer you wrong and tell you it is nothing and have it turn out to be something! My cham is mostly dark in his cage, so I don't freak out too much about that either. As long as he is not closing his eyes or sleeping during the day.

But what about him sleeping behind his plant?

ooh, that is not good. So you say he is sleeping with his eyes closed laying of the floor of the cage and this is during the day?

As long as he is not sleeping. Resting is another thing! If you get a chance and can post a pic of his mouth please do so. Just to be on the safe side and let some of us look at it.

Its not good if he is sleeping on the floor of the cage. Can you post a picture of him please?

Does he have any signs of MBD? (Crooked arms or legs, doesn't hold his body up off the branch, flexible casque, etc.)?

Its not good if he is sleeping on the floor of the cage. Can you post a picture of him please?

Does he have any signs of MBD? (Crooked arms or legs, doesn't hold his body up off the branch, flexible casque, etc.)?

He seems to have trouble walking up the screen cage. I'm not sure if it's because he can't cling on to the tiny holes or what. He has no trouble walking around on his plant or holding up his body on a branch. I'll try to get one of him as soon as I get home.

Wait, can you please describe EXACTLY what he does behind the plant during the day? I have no idea what you think he is doing...

He seems to be in a resting/standing position, and he does not sleep there. He always sleeps on top of the plant.

How long does he stay there? It's okay for them to venture down and have a quick check to make sure everything is okay down there. If he's staying there for excessive lengths of time, then there may be a problem.

I don't think very long. Anyways here are pictures of him. These photos were taken at night.

january202011008.jpg

january202011011.jpg

Is he eating normally? In the first picture, I can see somewhat of a ridge along his back that makes him appear a little underweight. It may be just the angle of the shot though. Otherwise he looks O.K. His eyes don't appear to be sunken.

Is he eating normally? In the first picture, I can see somewhat of a ridge along his back that makes him appear a little underweight. It may be just the angle of the shot though. Otherwise he looks O.K. His eyes don't appear to be sunken.

Yes, it was the angle of the shot. His weight is pretty good. What do you mean by eating normally? He eats fine. What about that little spot right under his lip in the front?

Back
Top Bottom