Super Worms

Jaeg

Are super worms healthy to feed more than one to a baby veiled chameleon? He ate it real quick but I don't know how many I can feed him.

Another question is do super worms bite?

Superworms are probably too large to feed to a baby veiled. Yes, they do bite, but not hard enough to do any real damage. They are chewers, really.

The first one he ate he ate with no problem and he seemed to go after it quicker than he does the crickets.

Superworms are high in chitin content. Not as bad as mealworms, but it still may be much for a young chameleons digestive system. I would fed them sparingly to minimize the risk of impaction.

How about for a Juvenile Chameleon? Mine is 5 months old, how much could I feed him? And what size should they be?

i have seen my 5 month olds veileds eat up to 3 superworms a day.not everyday though. they are healthy n strong though.

Chameleons can change color very early on in life. but to start getting colors mine is about 4 months old, and his yellow bands are comeing in. I dont know if this is a good comparison but I would say it is normal.

Frank

Mine is starting to get his yellow bands and he seems to like the superworms bettter than the crickets and he hasn't showed any problems.

Jaeg said:
Mine is starting to get his yellow bands and he seems to like the superworms bettter than the crickets and he hasn't showed any problems.
That doesn't mean he wont have them. Make sure you vary your diets and provide all possible required nutrients. Feeding soley crickets and superworms is far from a blanced diet.

What else should I add to his diet? I make sure to put the nutrient powder on his food as well as put it on the food of his food. I'm a little weary about catching insects to feed him because of parisites. What do you recomend.

I read that when they are older they will eat some vegitation like ponthos and ficus. But that there was some controversy about ficus because of the milk fluid they oze to seal up wounds.

I have 2 adults who eat exclusively superworms, they love them and will eat 4-6 per day. From what i've heard, these are low in chitin compaired 2 crickets, but have more than the other worms (silk/butter/horn/etc.).

tyco49 said:
I have 2 adults who eat exclusively superworms, they love them and will eat 4-6 per day. From what i've heard, these are low in chitin compaired 2 crickets, but have more than the other worms (silk/butter/horn/etc.).

Superworms are good feeders because of their low chitin and their ability to be gutloaded. However, chameleons should not be fed exclusively anything, even silkworms which are arguably the best feeder. Variety is the name of the game, the more the better. Don't forget that the bedding these guys come in is not food, always gutload and provide a source of moisture-- I feed em' roach coach and collards.

Also, feeding the freshly molted worms to younger chameleons can help with digestion.

Back
Top Bottom