Super Worms as a staple

Chameleon Loco

well my tegu ccame out of hibernation so i bought a lot of superworms for him and am giving my cham some he seems to like them so can I make superworms the primerey food?

I have heard that feeding supers too much can cause problems like impaction do to the amount of chetin in their skeleton. I personally only use supers as a treat and feed crickets and dubias as a staple. I have experienced my male ambilobe taking almost a week to poop after feeding a lot of supers so I try to keep them few and farther between feedings. Just my opinion

And by the way, both of my panthers love supers. If i did not think it would cause a problem I could feed them all day long. They are good for breaking a hunger strike if they are getting picky with their food.

Although I would not recommend it, both my Oustalet, and my Pardalis chose to eat superworms as a staple for a good part of their lives, now they are pigs and eat anything.

well my tegu ccame out of hibernation so i bought a lot of superworms for him and am giving my cham some he seems to like them so can I make superworms the primerey food?

In my opinion, no one or two feeders should form the bulk of the chams diet. There should be no staple or primary feeder. Instead, a wide variety of prey choices is best. At least a dozen.

Despite this, If I was going to choose a primary prey insect it wouldnt be superworms. Fatty.

that said, Some people have used well gutloaded supers as a primary food without too much issue. Certainly short-term its not an issue.

Back
Top Bottom