Super Aggressive Veiled, Ideas on Taming/Handling

JonnyB22

So a few months ago I got my 1 year old male veiled from a local pet store. When I bought him the store owner told me he was pretty mean and that he bit the foot off of another female they were housing him with. I knew chameleons are very territorial so I decided to get him anyways, thinking I could maybe tame him. Then seeing how the owner was handling him I thought any pet would be mean with how rough they were with him. At first it seemed like he had more trust towards me than my girlfriend (maybe because all of the employees in the store were female?). After slowly moving up to him and holding my hand in his cage for about 2 hours, I was able to pull him out of the cage for about 10 minutes before he started getting anxious. From reading threads on here about handling aggressive chameleons, I've tried the hand feeding and normal things to try to gain trust, but I don't think it's helping very much. He usually puffs up and hisses a bit when I stick my hand in his cage to feed or clean poop out. Then he started charging my hand and sort of giving me a warning "bump". Until about a week ago I was trying to clean poop off of a vine, and he bit me, very very hard! I also have another female veiled she is about 9 months old and she acts the same way as my male. Is their behavior because of something I am doing? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you both very much. The blog entry is extremely informative. I've never really watched his body language about being in front of the cage and then not wanting to be messed with and hiding. In hindsight I can see how he does act when I am around him. I cannot wait until they wake up tomorrow to try these new things!

Thank you both very much. The blog entry is extremely informative. I've never really watched his body language about being in front of the cage and then not wanting to be messed with and hiding. In hindsight I can see how he does act when I am around him. I cannot wait until they wake up tomorrow to try these new things!

I'm glad we were able to help!
Just remember patience is key! If you need anything else don't hesitate to ask :)

Something small that I found worked will, was placing a worm (horn worm) in his cage, but not near him and making sure he saw me bring the worm. He started associating my hand with food, even though I wasn't hand feeding. He started hanging out where I would put the worms, and not mind my hand being near him. Today I held him for the first time, with no fit. :)

I haven't read though the links yet but I'd assume the techniques discussed would work on a panther? I think my new guy is going to be a challenge.

Something small that I found worked will, was placing a worm (horn worm) in his cage, but not near him and making sure he saw me bring the worm. He started associating my hand with food, even though I wasn't hand feeding. He started hanging out where I would put the worms, and not mind my hand being near him. Today I held him for the first time, with no fit. :)

They have already tried this.

GAR- panthers are much more docile but in your circumstances he may be a bit cranky when it comes to holding. Believe it or not but a chameleon will know when you mean well. It sounds strange I'm sure but I had to give my veiled shots for a while and the first time he was pretty upset but after that he would actually sit still for me. Just make sure after they see the vets or you have to treat a wound that you give him a treat.

I haven't read though the links yet but I'd assume the techniques discussed would work on a panther? I think my new guy is going to be a challenge.

I have a panther. He used to try and bite me (never actually did). Just make sure and take it slow. :)

Yeah

Some veilds are just mean and scared, especially if you got it when it was a bit older. They need to be hand raised often times like birds. A larger one would be much harder to tame.
I have two veilds like that, I try not to hold them I just free range them and admire them from a distance.

Back
Top Bottom