Super active Veiled Chameleon

aurora_sophia

• Your Chameleon - Male Veiled Chameleon. He’s about 3-5 months old. I have had him for about 8 days now.
  • Handling - I rarely handle him. I read that is best to leave him alone for the first couple weeks of him adjusting to his new environment. I occasionally hand feed him to build trust.
  • Feeding - I feed him 12 crickets in the morning every day and he always has mustard greens placed in his foliage (which he LOVES). I gut load with Mazuri Better Bug Gut Loading diet.
  • Supplements - I dust his crickets with Repti Calcium without D3 every feeding and with D3 once a week
  • Watering - I have a self-pump mister and spray his cage several times a day. He loves to drink, his ucrates are totally normal.
  • Fecal Description - His poops are totally normal. They’re dark brown and black. He poops once a day. He’s never been tested for parasites

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - I got the reptibreeze chameleon kit. I have a medium size screen cage 16x16x30”
  • Lighting - I have the zoo med tropical UVB & heat lighting kit 1 regular bulb and 1 ReptiSun Mini Compact 5.0 (13w). I turn his light on at 9am and turn it off at 9pm.
  • Temperature - The top of the cage is at 85-95 degrees Fahrenheit and the bottom of the cage is usually 72-76 degrees Fahrenheit.
  • Humidity - humidity usually hangs around 65.
  • Plants - I have fake plants and pothos vines
  • Placement - My cage is located in my bedroom near my standing closet from IKEA which helps block the air from the air vents. My bedroom has a lot of air vents since it is technically the media room but it is also the warmest room in the house so I figured this was the best spot for him. He’s about 3 feet off of the ground.
  • Location - I am located in Fort Worth, TX. We just hit a cold front so we’ve been down in the 40’s

Current Problem - Is there such a thing as on overly active chameleon? I had several people warm me that chameleons are relatively to themselves and don't like to be handled that much but my chameleon will literally beg to be held. He loves crawling to the top of my head and will just sit there for like 20 minutes and then want to crawl around. Right now he is really into being near the window. Is it crazy of me to think he's trying to tell me something or is his super active nature a normal thing?

Hey!

I am new so I will not comment on any behavioral topics.

I just wanted to say welcome and your chameleon sounds awesome!! Mine is the opposite; he will not be held. :/

Post a pic of him.

How sure are you about him being 3-5mo? Do you know his hatch date?

I’m asking because as male chams begin to sexually mature their hormones go crazy and drive them to patrol their territory, find a girlfriend, and just explore their world in general. The do this by trying to get as high as they can, thats why he’s so fond of climbing onto your head.

5mo is a bit young for this to start happening but not unheard of...

• Your Chameleon - Male Veiled Chameleon. He’s about 3-5 months old. I have had him for about 8 days now.
  • Handling - I rarely handle him. I read that is best to leave him alone for the first couple weeks of him adjusting to his new environment. I occasionally hand feed him to build trust.
  • Feeding - I feed him 12 crickets in the morning every day and he always has mustard greens placed in his foliage (which he LOVES). I gut load with Mazuri Better Bug Gut Loading diet.
  • Supplements - I dust his crickets with Repti Calcium without D3 every feeding and with D3 once a week
  • Watering - I have a self-pump mister and spray his cage several times a day. He loves to drink, his ucrates are totally normal.
  • Fecal Description - His poops are totally normal. They’re dark brown and black. He poops once a day. He’s never been tested for parasites
Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - I got the reptibreeze chameleon kit. I have a medium size screen cage 16x16x30”
  • Lighting - I have the zoo med tropical UVB & heat lighting kit 1 regular bulb and 1 ReptiSun Mini Compact 5.0 (13w). I turn his light on at 9am and turn it off at 9pm.
  • Temperature - The top of the cage is at 85-95 degrees Fahrenheit and the bottom of the cage is usually 72-76 degrees Fahrenheit.
  • Humidity - humidity usually hangs around 65.
  • Plants - I have fake plants and pothos vines
  • Placement - My cage is located in my bedroom near my standing closet from IKEA which helps block the air from the air vents. My bedroom has a lot of air vents since it is technically the media room but it is also the warmest room in the house so I figured this was the best spot for him. He’s about 3 feet off of the ground.
  • Location - I am located in Fort Worth, TX. We just hit a cold front so we’ve been down in the 40’s

Current Problem - Is there such a thing as on overly active chameleon? I had several people warm me that chameleons are relatively to themselves and don't like to be handled that much but my chameleon will literally beg to be held. He loves crawling to the top of my head and will just sit there for like 20 minutes and then want to crawl around. Right now he is really into being near the window. Is it crazy of me to think he's trying to tell me something or is his super active nature a normal thing?
Calcium with D3 should be given twice monthly, and a multivitamin should also be used twice monthly

Post a pic of him.

How sure are you about him being 3-5mo? Do you know his hatch date?

I’m asking because as male chams begin to sexually mature their hormones go crazy and drive them to patrol their territory, find a girlfriend, and just explore their world in general. The do this by trying to get as high as they can, thats why he’s so fond of climbing onto your head.

5mo is a bit young for this to start happening but not unheard of...

I got him from petsmart and the lady didn't know anything. She told me that he was too young to tell the sex... Which is just crazy/ Anyways, Other members on this forum said he's between 3 months and 5 months. I don't know his hatch date.
IMG_2321.jpg

I got him from petsmart and the lady didn't know anything. She told me that he was too young to tell the sex... Which is just crazy/ Anyways, Other members on this forum said he's between 3 months and 5 months. I don't know his hatch date.
View attachment 216174
Could you post a pic of the back of his back feet to see if there’s a tarsal spur, which means he’s definitely a male

I agree with the 3-5month estimate. But I host don’t think those hormones are kicking in yet, you may just be one of the lucky few who have a friendly veiled.

He looks awesome, does he like crawling on you?

I have a veiled a bit older than yours, and I have yet to hold him. He used to hiss pretty good at me, but he no longer does that.

He looks awesome, does he like crawling on you?

I have a veiled a bit older than yours, and I have yet to hold him. He used to hiss pretty good at me, but he no longer does that.
He LOVES climbing on me. He will climb for 3 days in a row and then take 3-4 days off just resting and basking and then go right back to climbing

Back
Top Bottom