Sunshine

Ramrod

Chameleon Enthusiast
Just got equipped for Drake to be outside in the sunshine. First time for him. Should there be a time limit on exposure to start?
Any special pointers on outside basking other than water?
Thanks for your thoughts

Just got equipped for Drake to be outside in the sunshine. First time for him. Should there be a time limit on exposure to start?
Any special pointers on outside basking other than water?
Thanks for your thoughts
What kind of uvi levels? I don’t think that any chameleon, provided it has access to shade, is ill equipped to handle any levels of natural sun. That being said, it doesn’t make a lot of sense to me to take a Cham that sees uvi levels of 2-4, and put him/her in unfiltered uvi 11. Solar meter?

I house my Cham outside so he is use to the natural sunlight. Just watch him with direct sunlight. He will get hotter faster, can’t regulate the sun lol. Is he in a screened cage or just a free range setup? As far as time I would start out maybe 30 mins, if you see him gaping bring him in or under some shade.

What kind of uvi levels? I don’t think that any chameleon, provided it has access to shade, is ill equipped to handle any levels of natural sun. That being said, it doesn’t make a lot of sense to me to take a Cham that sees uvi levels of 2-4, and put him/her in unfiltered uvi 11. Solar meter?
I was thinking of this as well, I have a solar meter and I do measure UVI. My Cham is housed in a screen enclosure in a screened in enclosure lol. The screens definitely cut the UVI down quite a bit.

I house my Cham outside so he is use to the natural sunlight. Just watch him with direct sunlight. He will get hotter faster, can’t regulate the sun lol. Is he in a screened cage or just a free range setup? As far as time I would start out maybe 30 mins, if you see him gaping bring him in or under some shade.
He is in a screened cage and has access to shade. Had him out for 1 hr. And he seemed to enjoy. No gaping and was not real enthusiastic about returning to his enclosure. I have an outside cage that I wheel up next to his big enclosure and he walks from there into the portable, then goes outside.

Its great to have indoor and outdoor cages.
And getting your cham outside for some sunlight can be a great health benefit.
It also doesn't need to be expensive.
I got these 6 foot tall bird aviaries on Walmart.com for $77 each.
I'll be setting them up with plants and branches tomorrow

Attachments

• 20191215_223807.jpg
    20191215_223807.jpg
    161.7 KB · Views: 36
Back
Top Bottom