Sunlight and aggression

rnara002

I have some hatchlings that are kept indoors most of the time. A few times a week I let them outside to soak up some sunlight. They are kept in groups of 8 indoors but when I put them outside they in a larger group because the cage is much larger.

As soon as they are put outside they start puffing up and gaping at each other. They seem threatened when outside. Does the sunlight reflect another color that they dont recognize? Why would they act this way. Its almost like they dont recognize the same sibling that was next to them indoors.

Either of two things probly both. Normal interaction when encountering others, juvenile/territorial learning. Natural behavious induced by new surroundings, more alert to danger/predators etc.
Many placid and lazy lizards will perk up in the sun, exhibit natural behaviours not bothered with indoors. They will also be warm and more active ofcourse. puffing up and flattening themselves laterally (chams) is also natural behaviour related to UV absorbtion and thermoregulation.

Hatchling what anyway? :)

Yea its like ... whoa im going to eat you ... get out of my face. When two seconds before indoors they act cool.

Increased "aggression" has been well documented in both iguanids and varanids after extended exposure to natural sunlight. This may not be the cause in your case as the change is immediate, but it's something to keep in mind.

As jojackson mentioned, the drastic change in environment will often prompt a defensive response, especially since these animals have naturally evolved to avoid predators from above such as birds. On the other hand, there are certain wavelengths in sunlight that are absent or greatly reduced in artificial lighting-- wavelengths that may be "seen" more easily by animals with a parietal eye, and not by humans-- which may also play a part in this behavioral change.

Parietal eye:

3772826609_14b6c3d91b.jpg

Cheers,

Fabián

Back
Top Bottom