Sunken in Eye

My Panther Chameleon (Poseidon) has been having trouble with this right eye :( he started to keep it closed more then it started to sink into the socket now he barely opens it. His left eye is doing perfectly fine though. I have tried giving him more vitamins by offering him more dusted bugs (the bugs i use to give him his vitamins are Superworms) that didn't help, i have been putting him in the shower so the hot mist goes onto him and thats not helping, i read on here that it could be a vitamin A problem so i have been cracking open a jell capsule of Vitamin A and pouring it onto super worm and giving it to him (have been doing that for 4 days now) so far no change, I changed his UVB bulb incase it wasn't giving him the right amount of light (changed it yesterday) so far nothing is helping:( is there anything anyone can suggest to help out my little friend? he's my best friend in all the world and I hate to see him this way :(

Attachments

• IMG_3229.jpg
    IMG_3229.jpg
    63.7 KB · Views: 208
  • IMG_3230.jpg
    IMG_3230.jpg
    65.7 KB · Views: 191
You need to take Poseidon to the vet. He might have an infection in that eye. Do you already have a chameleon vet? If not if you tell m where you live I might be able to help you find one.

Last edited:
I live in Elkheart IN. I took my last chameleon to the vet and the vet gave me something for the chameleon and didn't help and he miss diagnosed him and he died shortly after so i don't know if i trust him very much. Sad part is he is like the only vet around for reptiles. :/

I live in Elkheart IN. I took my last chameleon to the vet and the vet gave me something for the chameleon and didn't help and he miss diagnosed him and he died shortly after so i don't know if i trust him very much. Sad part is he is like the only vet around for reptiles. :/

Here's a list of reptile vets in IN. You could research them (call) and see if the see chameleon. What big town are you close to? I'll see if we have any members that have a vet in that town.
http://www.arav.com/find-a-vet/#Indiana

Do you think a Saline for his eye would help kill the infection?

No, it will take an antibiotic ointment for the eye. Sometimes my vet have even gave an oral antibiotic along with the eye ointment.

You could try terramycin and it might help but I'm not sure if you can get it without going to the vet.

I don't know how much you know about antibiotics for Chams but last time i went the vet gave me Ophth Ointment, would that work for Poseidon?

I don't know how much you know about antibiotics for Chams but last time i went the vet gave me Ophth Ointment, would that work for Poseidon?

I've never heard of that one. You could try terramycin and it might help but I'm not sure if you can get it without going to the vet.

I was just looking it up and its a form of terramycin i think i will try it out and see if it helps him at all! i really hope it does

I think he was already sick for awhile before i got the medicine for him :( i got Tiberious from a pet store and he was asleep all the time so he probably passed away because i didn't act fast enough to help him :(

Be careful with the vitamin A. Any local drug store their vitamin A is from cod or fish liver oil. You want synthetic retinol palmitate. We get ours from Carlson labs 15,000mg/iu. It was a tip from Jim Flaherty and it has worked on my males that exhibited eye problems similar to this. But only a qualified exotics vet will know by doing blood work, fecal float and an x ray. Sometimes I have witnessed this also as a start to uri. One eye or both will get held in and looked puffy. Keep us updated with what the vet says. And good luck.

Unfortunately there is no test for vitamin A deficiency and it is treated imperically. Usually you begin to see improvement shortly after a vitamin A injection. MBD sometimes affects the eyes which is why an x-ray would be helpful. Infection can show up on bloodwork. You can try supplementing with vitamin A so long as it is pre-formed vitamin A. There are a few supplements which use beta carotene as a vitamin A source (herptivite) which does no good. Rapashy uses pre-formed vitamin A. I wouldn't let this go much longer without consulting a vet but a few days on vitamin supplements and the eye ointment should be OK. Make sure the eye ointment doesn't have an anesthetic.

Unfortunately there is no test for vitamin A deficiency and it is treated imperically. Usually you begin to see improvement shortly after a vitamin A injection. MBD sometimes affects the eyes which is why an x-ray would be helpful. Infection can show up on bloodwork. You can try supplementing with vitamin A so long as it is pre-formed vitamin A. There are a few supplements which use beta carotene as a vitamin A source (herptivite) which does no good. Rapashy uses pre-formed vitamin A. I wouldn't let this go much longer without consulting a vet but a few days on vitamin supplements and the eye ointment should be OK. Make sure the eye ointment doesn't have an anesthetic.

Joe, you might have missed that he has already gave 4 days of vit. A. Do you think he should continue to do that? I use Zoo Med Reptivite and it also has the A in it.

"i have been cracking open a jell capsule of Vitamin A and pouring it onto super worm and giving it to him (have been doing that for 4 days now) so far no change,"

Besides infection, MBD and vitamin A deficiency, its not uncommon to get a clogged nasolacrimal duct. This can be flushed out by an experienced vet. These clogged ducts may be related to vitamin A. I wouldn't continue using the human vitamin A product. Normally a one time injection is given or you can use an oral dose of 1000-2000 IU/ 100-200 gm BW and then add a regular reptile supplement to the normal diet. The shower and raised humidity often do help. Again if no improvement or if things worsen then see a vet for an exam and possible duct flush.

Back
Top Bottom