Sunken Eye

Little Hat

Hi Everyone,

I have a 2 year old, Male Panter Chameleon and as I was feeding hime today I noticed his one eye was sunken in. As I moved my hand closer to him on the sunken eye side he didn't even notice my hand, like he is blind in this eye. The eye looks glazed over. His other eye is fine and he is eating. As this happened to anyone chameleon? Looking for help.

-Joe

Chameleon Info:
Your Chameleon - 2 year old male panther; had him his whole life.
Handling - Never, he doesn't like to be held.
Feeding - I feed hime crickets, meal worms, super worms and wax worms (for a treat). I feed hime every other day or every two days.
Watering - I have a dripper going throughout the day and I do see him drink from it as well as take water off the plants. I have a mista-king that comes on five times a day for about a minute for each interval. I only use distill water. Fecal Description - My chameleon hasn't been tested for parasites and his fecal looks the same.
History - He has been healthy up to this point.

Cage Info:
Cage Type - Cage is 48 inches high; 3 feet wide and 3 feet deep made from wood with screen sides.
Lighting - I have all the required lighting
Temperature and Humidity are kept at the recommended limits.
Plants - I have live plants and I made sure to check the plant databases before putting anything in my cage.
Placement - The cage is near a heat vent. It's not in a high traffic area and is roughly 6.5 feet from floor to top of the cage.
Location - The cage surrounded by windows and receives natural sunlight throughout the day.

Do you use supplements?
What is the required lighting you say you have?
can you post a pic of the affected eye please?

Do you use supplements?

I have to agree. You may need some more vitamins in the supplementation as he may be developing an eye infection. Sure fire way to find out is to get to a vet but if you can get reptaid ordered from chameleonsnorthwest.com that works well if it is an infection.

i see ppl advise reptaid often for problems should i have some on hand incase i ever have problems? that works for everything dont it?

My male panther had a similar problem - I simply noticed that he was keeping an eye closed and, when he would open it he appeared blind on that side. I took him to the vet, who found blood in the anterior chamber of the eye and suggested this may have been the consequence of a fall. We gave him antibiotics (both topical and systemic) to prevent infections. In spite of the treatment his right eye kept shrinking (according to the vet it became "phthisical") to be point that he rarely opens it anymore. Besides that, he is healthy and doing well.

Do you use supplements?

The supplements that I use are Herptivite, Repcal with D3 and Miner-All-O. I have a 75 whatt basking light and 2, 24 inch ReptiSun 5.0 bulbs.

I give the Repcal with D3 and Miner-All-O twice a month. I give Herptivite every feeding which is every other day during the week. I don't give a lot of the Repcal with D3 becuase of the amount of sunlight he gets throughout the day.

I attached a pic, the best one I could take. This is what his sunken eye looks like.

Attachments

• photo.jpg
    photo.jpg
    188.9 KB · Views: 162
I have to agree. You may need some more vitamins in the supplementation as he may be developing an eye infection. Sure fire way to find out is to get to a vet but if you can get reptaid ordered from chameleonsnorthwest.com that works well if it is an infection.

I would have a hard time getting him to the vet becuase he doesn't like to be held. Should I try rinsing his eye with saline? Would it hurt him if I try the reptaid?

The supplements that I use are Herptivite, Repcal with D3 and Miner-All-O. I have a 75 whatt basking light and 2, 24 inch ReptiSun 5.0 bulbs.

I give the Repcal with D3 and Miner-All-O twice a month. I give Herptivite every feeding which is every other day during the week. I tend not to give alot of the Repcal with D3 becuae of the amount of sunlight he gets throughout the day.

I attached a pic, the best one I could take. This is what his sunken eye looks like.

His cage is in the corner of our study with windows on both sides.

Where do you live?
Sunlight passing through glass or plastic does not provide UVB...but the light would still be good as long as the cage doesn't overheat and he has a place to go to get out of the light to cool off if needed.

Where do you live?
Sunlight passing through glass or plastic does not provide UVB...but the light would still be good as long as the cage doesn't overheat and he has a place to go to get out of the light to cool off if needed.

I live in Buffalo, NY. He's been in this spot for almost a year and is doing great accept for his sunken eye. There is plenty of palces to hide out in the cage. Sorry I don't have a pic to show you. Please check this past post for photos of his cage.
https://www.chameleonforums.com/charlies-new-enclosure-54945/#post515858

Hi Everyone,
I have a 2 year old, Male Panter Chameleon and as I was feeding hime today I noticed his one eye was sunken in. As I moved my hand closer to him on the sunken eye side he didn't even notice my hand, like he is blind in this eye. The eye looks glazed over. His other eye is fine and he is eating. As this happened to anyone chameleon? Looking for help.

He appears to have an infection. you can try terramycin but i suggest you going to a qualified herp vet for help.

Questions not directly related to issue but on the care listed.

Feeding - I feed hime crickets, meal worms, super worms and wax worms (for a treat). I feed hime every other day or every two days.

Are you gut loading your feeders? If so, with what?

Description - My chameleon hasn't been tested for parasites and his fecal looks the same.

what does it look like?

Cage Type - Cage is 48 inches high; 3 feet wide and 3 feet deep made from wood with screen sides.

Very nice cage..

Lighting - I have all the required lighting

What brands and type? I see you do have both from the picture provided..Also how old is your uvb?

Temperature and Humidity are kept at the recommended limits.

What are they?

I also dont see what you use for supplements and frequencies.

He appears to have an infection. you can try terramycin but i suggest you going to a qualified herp vet for help.

Questions not directly related to issue but on the care listed.

Are you gut loading your feeders? If so, with what?

what does it look like?

Very nice cage..

What brands and type? I see you do have both from the picture provided..Also how old is your uvb?

What are they?

I also dont see what you use for supplements and frequencies.

He listed the suppliments on the first page, but from what I see it is incorrect. Miner-all O he uses twice a month when it's the everyday, and the herpvitive he uses every other day, when it's the twice a month.

Back
Top Bottom