Sunburnt cask

My chameleon has a sunburnt cask. Is there anything other than adjusting the distance of the lamp that I need to consider? He has a misting system that sprays for 30 seconds every 3 hours. His enclosure is a planted vivarium. Should I post some pictures of his cask?

Please post pictures. Of both the chameleon and his enclosure.

For future reference, that is called a thermal burn, not a sunburn. I know that's semantic, but the distinction is important. Raising the bulb is definitely a good option. Alternatively, you can get a lower wattage bulb or a dimmer so you can control its heat output.

Also, 30 seconds is much too short of a misting session. 2 minutes or more, each time.

I have since added more plants and vines. I will have to take a picture of Basil when I get home from work. All the images I have of him are from before this happened to his cask. I included a pic of him anyways. I will also post an updated picture of his enclosure. I have since added "legs" to the lamp to lift it further away from the screened hole in the top of the cage because Basil will climb up the back wall and smoosh his head up there. Along with the two misting nozzels I also mist Basil directly. I'll have the updated pics up by 5pm.
1558027928591.png

I apologize for this taking so long to upload. This weekend was supernaturally busy. So, He is currently shedding. He is still active and friendly and eating normally. I upped his mister to 1 minute every three hours but i may up it to 1 minute every hour. I also added two bromeliads that i got a t the Nashville Repticon which I do not have a picture of. I am thinking with regular misting by hand and careful monitoring that this will heal itself but i just wanted to make extra sure. He goes into the vet for his check up soon so I could inquire about it then as well to be DOUBLE sure.

Chameleon Info: Sweet Basil

• Your Chameleon - Veiled Chameleon, Male, Estimated about a year, I have had him since June of 2018
  • Handling - Almost daily if not every other day. He has a vine above the living-room window to get some sunlight.
  • Feeding - Crickets/dusted with reptivite and reptical. Dubias and Mealworms dusted. I also gut load with fresh greens. He also gets horn worms for added moisture. Horn worms once daily, 15-20 crickets every other day, meal worms about 6 every other day. and honestly i cannot control those dubias. they roam his cage and he eats them when he finds them.
  • Supplements - Repticalcium, Herpivite, Reptivite
  • Watering - Plenty of plants for the misted water to land on and create droplets that he can drink from. mister is set to 1minute(the longest duration) to go off every 3 hours. I work 8am to 430pm so I dont really see him drinking.
  • Fecal Description - his poops look good. urate is white and his droppings are soft/moist. They look normal. He has been tested for parasites when he had a waxy build up in his eye.
  • History - He has been to the vet to remove a waxy build up in his eye. Which was not completely removed and then came back so we have to go back to the vet to have it removed.

Cage Info: Vivarium(Bioactive)

• Cage Type - Vivarium Bioactive. 2x2x4 plexiglass door. wood exterior. insulated with foam(1.5 inch) and silicon covered in coconut fiber. there is a vent at the back in the upper right hand corner and at the bottom of the door to allow airflow to keep the enclosures air from becoming stagnant.
  • Lighting - Zilla Heat and UVB Basking fixture + Zilla Slimline Tropical 25 UVB T8 Fluorescent Fixture
  • Temperature -85-87 at the hottest basking temp and 72-74 at the low end( i have two dual temperature and humidity gauges)
  • Humidity - 50%-55%. Reptirain misting system. Set to go off every 3 hrs for 1 minute
  • Plants - two vine/ivy plants. pothos. two bromeliads. one croton. white nerve plant and pink nerve plant.
  • Placement - living room. it is near a fan but the fan only gets turned on in the evening when i cook to keep the air semi cool in the apartment. the enclosure is about 3.5 feet from the ceiling maybe.
  • Location - Tennessee

So my concern is his veil/ cask/ casque however you wanna say it. It looks like maybe some shed is constricting it or maybe it got burnt or damaged and i just don't know what to do.

Could be a very minor thermal burn. I personally dont see anything out of the ordinary besides the dry looking part at the very top.

Keep an eye on it. If its a burn, it will peel off. If it does peel and there is exposed flesh, I would apply a small amount of silvadene cream to help prevent infection.

Could be a very minor thermal burn. I personally dont see anything out of the ordinary besides the dry looking part at the very top.

Keep an eye on it. If its a burn, it will peel off. If it does peel and there is exposed flesh, I would apply a small amount of silvadene cream to help prevent infection.
This morning when I got up for work I saw that it was shedding. So once the shed falls off I'll have a good look at it but I think you're right it'll take care of itself. I will of course keep monitoring it. Where could I get silvadene cream in case I need it?

Back
Top Bottom