Summer Temps Inside Without A/C

Hello, I have a pretty simple general question. I have no A/C in my apartment so On super super hot days sometimes it gets up to 80 degrees inside my home. This weekend we are having a heat wave with temps in the 105+ area. Which Is crazy cause I’m in the Pacific Northwest. But I’m wondering if his overall temps stay around 80-90 all over in his cage for a couple hours in the day is that fine? should I turn his basking light off when it gets super hot? Also what are good ways to cool him down that he won’t hate? Could I use a fan that lightly blows towards his enclosure? Just looking for some suggestions I’m mostly just worried that he won’t be able to cool himself off efficiently. If I need to I can run him into my car a couple times throughout the day to cool him off.

Hello, I have a pretty simple general question. I have no A/C in my apartment so On super super hot days sometimes it gets up to 80 degrees inside my home. This weekend we are having a heat wave with temps in the 105+ area. Which Is crazy cause I’m in the Pacific Northwest. But I’m wondering if his overall temps stay around 80-90 all over in his cage for a couple hours in the day is that fine? should I turn his basking light off when it gets super hot? Also what are good ways to cool him down that he won’t hate? Could I use a fan that lightly blows towards his enclosure? Just looking for some suggestions I’m mostly just worried that he won’t be able to cool himself off efficiently. If I need to I can run him into my car a couple times throughout the day to cool him off.
He is a 7 month older Ambanja panther.

You didn't mention the species of chameleon. That is a big factor.

For Panthers and veileds, I personally wouldn't worry, just turn the basking off. Temporarily 80s-90 are natural temps that they would experience at some point in the wild. The key is to not have it like this all the time and/or supply plenty of shade(if outside) and water. Some people have parsons, a montane, outside nearly all year in socal with no problems so there's no reason veiled/panther people should be super worried over a little shift. I like my chams to experience changes within reason, a stagnant environment doesn't seem natural IMO. On the other end of the country, veileds are thriving outside all year in FL, which is much more intense(heat+humidity) for longer periods than what most of the west coast gets. Just putting your mind at ease!

To answer your question, I think I've seen people use bags of ice with fans to cool things down. Could get a small portable AC. Lately, I've either been blowing night air into my cham room(which is still 70s, but the room is hot from our days). You could have a fan going in the room, but I'd have it circulate the air and not blow directly on him/her.

You should be good for a couple/few days in the 80sF up to 90F, but I'd double check climate data for his specific locale as best you can. Something like this, but substitute his locale in the search criteria.
https://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-b-1-d&q=maximum+temperature+madagascar+locales

It's fine to turn the basking light off any time the ambient temperature meets or exceeds his target basking temperature. Leave the UVB on as per regular.

If you have a mister, you might add a couple of sessions manually during the hottest part of the day. I wouldn't spray him directly (might be annoying—depends on the individual cham) but over him so the mist settles out like gentle rain.

A fan could help—especially after misting. Again, it should be gentle like a zephyr—not forceful. Something like a muffin fan or oscillating fan, but far enough away that it won't (metaphorically) blow him out of his tree. ;)

I would not run him to the car; that could be stressful.

Back
Top Bottom