Suitable soil

Pi11ow

Established Member
Would this be a suitable for a base for bio active set up?

Attachments

• 6576E23D-B4E9-4982-8817-6CEF6E4F253F.png
    6576E23D-B4E9-4982-8817-6CEF6E4F253F.png
    305.1 KB · Views: 108
Thanks. The labels only talk about aged compost. And organic and natural sources. No fertilizers that I can see.

I'm not a huge fan or Miracle-Gro, but it would probably work in a pinch. If you go for it, you'll want to add some drainage amendments to it - I'd be worried about it retaining too much water and drowning/suffocating plants.

I used HP High Porosity for both of my builds with some orchid mix blended in, and it has excellent drainage. Seems to be doing well overall! 3 months in and I've scratched in a little osmocote fertilizer to help my Meyer's lemon. Everyone else is doing great! Sunshine Mix #4 has also recieved good reviews, and is more readily available in the states (and has about the same breakdown).

Thanks! I’ll see if I can find the things you used. Ive been researching bio active builds and am interested in bio dudes product line but don’t want to blindly throw hundreds of dollars at a “kit” without fully understanding how much I’m paying for the convenience. Plus explaining to my wife I’m dropping 2 bills on a bag of dirt is daunting.

Thanks! I’ll see if I can find the things you used. Ive been researching bio active builds and am interested in bio dudes product line but don’t want to blindly throw hundreds of dollars at a “kit” without fully understanding how much I’m paying for the convenience. Plus explaining to my wife I’m dropping 2 bills on a bag of dirt is daunting.

No problem! I wouldn't bother with the BioDude stuff - you can get all of the components yourself so much cheaper!

Thanks for the responses! I’ve dug in deeper and found some old threads I think I can piece together what I need.

Would this be a suitable for a base for bio active set up?
I personally use this with a mix of spag moss and a slight bit of cleaned out play sand. I add some river rock if I need more drainage. It does compact very easily and it does hold moisture REALLY well.

Edit: I also mix in bark

Back
Top Bottom