Suggestions??

Pablothecow

Please help!

My ~3 year old veiled is blind in one eye, and is having problems with her other one now too. She keeps it closed all the time and only opens it for about two seconds sometimes if I agitate her enough. The vet gave me vitamin supplements for her eye, so that's good. My biggest problem here is that she won't open her eye, even to eat. There are about 4 crickets in her cage that she hasn't eaten, and she hasn't eaten anything besides the vitamin supplement i syringe feed to her in the past 3 days.

My question is: is there any food that I could feed to her through the syringe so she keeps up her strength until I see if her eye improves? I don't know what all foods would be nutritional for her and stuff.

Vitamin supplements for her eye??? What is it? Is there any discharge from the eye itself? If so, there is some sort of infection going on and will need an optical antibiotic to treat it.

There is a recipe for what we call "bug juice" you can make to syringe feed her. Mix some Ensure and Pedialyte with the soft body parts of insects you have (squeeze the bodies for the gut contents but remove the legs/shells), and use a wide tipped syringe to get it on her lips or into her mouth.

Please post some recent photos of her and answer the questions in the how to ask for help thread at the top of the health forum so we can help you better.
How do you know she's blind in the one eye?

The vet says she doesn't have an infection in her eye, and gave me Vitamin A supplements.

She was real feisty today when I gave her her meds which gave me some reassurance that she was getting better, because a couple days ago she was lethargic and didn't fight me at all.

I'm going to try and get some mealworms to try and get her to eat before I have to resort to crushing bugs at 5:30 every morning haha. Thanks for your concern and suggestions!

And I know she's blind in her left eye because she doesn't flinch or hiss or anything when I move on that side and I can get really close, almost touching her eye and she does nothing. Also she had a bit more trouble getting the crickets, but could eat them all just fine until she just completely stopped due to her other eye.

Back
Top Bottom