suggestions for removing cham from enclosure

Beppo

Chameleon Enthusiast
Good evening all,
I am working on building trust with my new chameleon but as of now (which it has only been close to 3 weeks that i have had him) he is still very timid
and turns around and walks away if i put my flat hand up in the enclosure with a feeder. I need to make some adjustments to his enclosure this weekend and im looking for any tips of tricks to get him out , i was planning on putting him in a box with a branch in it and closing it while i make the changes, is that ok? Thanks again for any help

A box with a few branches will work. Try holding a branch in front of him and slowly move the other hand behind him. Some chameleon will never trust us while others will walk to us. Time, food and slow movements is key.

A box with a few branches will work. Try holding a branch in front of him and slowly move the other hand behind him. Some chameleon will never trust us while others will walk to us. Time, food and slow movements is key.
Thank you

Steve's method is what I would suggest as well for a timid cham. Make sure the box is right at your feet so when you get him out on the stick you can slowly drop down and go straight into the box. That way if he spooks he wont be jumping off the branch.

Thank you! He seemed more calm this morning, he came right over and ate from his food cup while my hand was still in his enclosure, maybe im making a bit of progress. I appreciate you guys!

Thank you! He seemed more calm this morning, he came right over and ate from his food cup while my hand was still in his enclosure, maybe im making a bit of progress. I appreciate you guys!
This is also where using the stick can be more of a benefit while your building trust. If you try to use hands to remove him it may set your progress back. Right now he sees hands and associates it with food.

Back
Top Bottom