suddenly lethargic

My female veiled chameleon suddenly became weak and not very active yesterday afternoon. She has been trying to climb up to the branches in her enclosure but can’t seem to get a good grip and falls. Her eyes look dark and sunken in and she hasn’t been eating. I feel so shocked because she has been so good and active these past 5 months that I have had her. She looks pretty normal and healthy besides her eyes looking sad and dark. I don’t know what i’ve been doing wrong for her to get like this so suddenly.

Last edited:
D176C0F3-878B-42E6-8177-D659578B776E.jpeg
3EBEB0CC-1AFB-441C-8351-70AF765EFC28.jpeg

Welcome to the forum.

Please post some recent photos of her.
this was taken today.

Do you have an experienced chameleon vet or emergency exotic animal hospital you can take her to ASAP?

Do you have a lay bin in her cage?

How much does she normally eat in a week?
She does not have a lay bin but I will definitely be putting one in there.
She usually eats about 8 worms a day. Usually a few mealworms and super worms and occasionally wax worms. I spray liquid calcium on the worms everyday and dust them in calcium with d3 once or twice a month.

The amount you are feeding her will likely cause her to have a big clutch and she could develop MBD and follicular stasis or eggbinding....not positive.
She should only be fed two or three times a week and by the time she's a month or so older only 3 or 4 crickets a feeding....or equal calories of other insects.

I think you have no option but to take her to a good chameleon vet ASAP.

Last edited:
You’ll also want to use powdered supplements instead of liquid ones. A great brand and schedule is Zoo Med ReptiCalcium Without D3 every feeding except for one day per week. Then use Zoo Med ReptiCalcium With D3 on that day every other week. On those alternate weeks, use Zoo Med Reptivite Without D3 on that one day per week. Would you also be willing to fill out this form in as much detail as possible please, including pics of her entire enclosure and lights?

Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
  • Location - Where are you geographically located?

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.

--------------

Please Note:
  1. The more details you provide the better and more accurate help you will receive.
  2. Photos can be very helpful.

Also, superworms, waxworms, and mealworms should only be used as treats, not staples. Use these two charts to get good types of feeders and gutload ingredients! Remember that variety is best, so get as many different types/species of feeders and as many fresh gutload ingredients as possible! Let us know if you have any questions, need more clarification, or anything else, too! Here’s a lay bin chart, as well!

Attachments

• chameleon-gutload 2.jpg
    chameleon-gutload 2.jpg
    188 KB · Views: 68
  • chameleon-food.jpg
    chameleon-food.jpg
    192.3 KB · Views: 74
  • 42F4F72A-AE9E-4D6D-AD10-82D1097BF5BE.jpeg
    42F4F72A-AE9E-4D6D-AD10-82D1097BF5BE.jpeg
    145.7 KB · Views: 72
Back
Top Bottom