Successfully hand fed today!

extrajordinary

Established Member
So I've been trying to hand feed Leo when possible to build trust between us and I rarely succeed. Yesterday I tried to hand feed him a cricket and I waited patiently, as still as possible, for probably 10-15 minutes and he moved closer but didn't attempt to take the cricket. :( I had tried to crouch down so he could see the cricket and me behind it but he didn't fall for it. I've read that if you're trying to hand feed and they don't take it to be sure not to leave the cricket in the cage as they'll learn that they don't have to eat it from your hands to get it...so I took the cricket and put it back with the other crickets. This morning I misted his cage and dusted his crickets and I held one out to him. He lunged at me so I moved my face behind some of the ficus leaves and I stayed still...and then after a couple minutes I saw his mouth open and his tongue came out and took the cricket! I got super excited so I grabbed another cricket and put my hand back where it had been. He took that one too! So I got another cricket, and another. He ate FOUR crickets from my hand this morning!!! :love: I put the rest in his bowl though because my boyfriend and I had to start packing up our apartment. But I'm so proud of my little guy!

So I've been trying to hand feed Leo when possible to build trust between us and I rarely succeed. Yesterday I tried to hand feed him a cricket and I waited patiently, as still as possible, for probably 10-15 minutes and he moved closer but didn't attempt to take the cricket. :( I had tried to crouch down so he could see the cricket and me behind it but he didn't fall for it. I've read that if you're trying to hand feed and they don't take it to be sure not to leave the cricket in the cage as they'll learn that they don't have to eat it from your hands to get it...so I took the cricket and put it back with the other crickets. This morning I misted his cage and dusted his crickets and I held one out to him. He lunged at me so I moved my face behind some of the ficus leaves and I stayed still...and then after a couple minutes I saw his mouth open and his tongue came out and took the cricket! I got super excited so I grabbed another cricket and put my hand back where it had been. He took that one too! So I got another cricket, and another. He ate FOUR crickets from my hand this morning!!! :love: I put the rest in his bowl though because my boyfriend and I had to start packing up our apartment. But I'm so proud of my little guy!
Sounds like he is just shy when he can see your face. Is he higher then your head when you try to hand feed? If not this might be a good way to seem less intimidating to him. Crouch down so your hand is held near his height but so your head is lower. So cool that he ate from your hand! Making progress!

Sounds like he is just shy when he can see your face. Is he higher then your head when you try to hand feed? If not this might be a good way to seem less intimidating to him. Crouch down so your hand is held near his height but so your head is lower. So cool that he ate from your hand! Making progress!
He’s in a smaller cage right now so it’s very hard to get below him, but when he’s in his normal cage he’s always higher than my head. Yes! Slowly but surely! I also was fortunate enough to see him drink from leaves today after I sprayed his cage for the second time. He could see me clearly but didn’t seem to mind!

I hand fed ALL (about 15) of his crickets today! And the time between hissing/lunging and taking them from my fingers has already drastically decreased! Trying to to be too excited because maybe he's just having a really good day...but I'm really excited!

Back
Top Bottom