Success with ExoTerra Terrarium?

Sheldon

I got my Jackson Chameleon two days ago. The pet store owner told me that it didn't really matter which kind I got, terrarium or open enclosure. She recommended the terrarium and I got it (best deal, had all things I needed minus the lighting.) I plan to change him out of it as soon as possible, but at the moment, money spent to get him set up in this set up has cost me to the point that I can't just go out and buy an open enclosure.

So here is my question...has anyone had any success?

Right now, I can keep the temperature fairly good. Humidity seems to do well, just having to figure out the temps/humidity with our weird temperatures here in western North Carolina. My heat got stuck on the on position in my home last night (old system) so it got too warm...I about freaked, but I think either way it would have been too hot even with an open enclosure. The normal is this. He can stay around 75-80 during the day with only a UVB light, humidity is between 65-80%. If the temp drops, the humidity goes up, etc. etc.

I have two live plants and substrate (which is coming out Friday when I head over to PetSmart.) He hasn't gone to the bottom but once. I feed him crickets on the branches and leaves in his enclosure, which he prefers. (I am probably spoiling him a bit) I mist 2-4 times a day, usually between 2-5 minutes depending on if it was after over night or during the day. He has pooped once since I got him Saturday and that was Sunday. It was nice and white.

Any tips? And if you had success with the terrarium? I will post photos as soon as I get home from work.

bump!

I was wondering the exact same thing :) I have a large, heavily planted terrarium that I wanted to keep pygmy chameleons in, but it seems that finding them right now is damn near impossible! Would a Jackson's live well in a vented terrarium? Are there other species that are suited for this sort of enclosure? Thanks!!

I was just at the long island reptile expo yesterday and purchased the 12x12x18 glass habitat kit for my recently new born jacksons babies, 3 of them. I also have the same temps and humidity settings using a 75 watt house bulb and am going to buy a 5.0 uvb after work today. For the moment im keeping the plantation soil substrate that came with the kit until I buy a couple of smaller size live plants this weekend mainly because the babies have fallen a couple of times off the jungle vine or the mesh top and land softly onto the moist substrate. I plan on keeping them in this enclosure until they are about 5-6 months old then plan on selling them and keeping the kit available for any future babies if possible. The only negative about this kit that I have found out since yesterday is that the fruit flies and pinhead crix that I use as feeders are small enought to fit throught the spaces between the front air vents and along the top screen partition so I covered the edges with clear packing tape on top and on the front but punched a few needle size holes so as to let in air for better circulation and prevent any escapes. cant wait till they can start eating larger food that cant fit through the gaps and then I can remove the tape completely.

The classic thoughts on glass cages were a big no. The main reasons being stated against it were the lack of air flow, which could lead to respiratory infections, and the animals being able to see their reflections.

There have been some more recent studies conducted that show that it's not quite as bad as originally thought. They have noticed that with normal glass tanks, chameleons don't often notice their reflection, and it is causing less issues than previously thought.

Airflow is still a concern with most glass tanks. Exo-terras with a screen top and unblocked vents have better airflow than typical glass aquariums, and people have used them without many issues.

I have heard that glass tanks are also meant to be indoor only, as the sun on the glass can make it much too warm and stagnate the airflow, but don't quote me on that.

In the end, it's starting to be more personal preference, and what is better for the individual animal. If the chameleon is doing well and staying healthy, you must be doing something right.

There is a very well written post going into much better detail than this in the forums, I believe it was written by a PhD or masters student. I will look for it, then post it here.

Here is that link: https://www.chameleonforums.com/everyone-who-knows-you-cant-keep-chams-glass-31937/

Dan

Last edited:
My Jackson spent his first 6 months or so in an exo terra. He started off in a 12 x 12 x 18 then I moved him up to an 18 x 18 x 24. Jacksons need higher humidity so an Exo seems to suit them fine. Once he was in the bigger size I fixed some wire mesh over the open door so he could have plenty of ariflow, and closed the glass doors at night to keep humidity in whilst he slept.

I also successfully kept two separate Veiled girls in the larger size exo, and i believe that you can now buy even bigger versions than that - 90cm tall iirc.

i think the glass terraniums are fantastic i use one myself there easy to heat and are very stable humidity wise.the reflection thing is a myth and the only thing to watch for is good airflow which the exo terras are fine with they have the vent in the front the only other issue with them is the drainage most people have a drip area and put a bowl under it then that will have to be emptied and cleaned regularly.

heres a link for you https://www.chameleonforums.com/calling-glass-terranium-owners-100793/?highlight=glass+terranium

I would also suggest not attempting to drill the base for drainage. My experience is generally glass explosion:D

Drilling glass is actually quite easy if you take your time, and use the proper bit. For my dart frog cages, I take exo terras and put a custom glass top on them. I drill them for a mistking nozzle, and have never had any issues. This is using dirt cheap ebay bits from hong kong. Watch some youtube videos, follow directions, and it's easy.

Just wanna give my two cents,
Exo Terra's are perfect for chameleons if you use the CORRECT sized terrarium. I have 3 exo Terra's now and they have done me wonders this cold winter. I have had no problems drilling through the bottom glass panel for drainage. Buy a diamon bit and follow the instructions accordingly.

Back
Top Bottom