Substrate

Kazza

After realising that the guy who sold Shiver to me told me a load of bull with regards to keeping chameleons i'm now unsure about using a substrate at the bottom of the cage.

I'm using some white stuff he said was ideal - i think it's coconut bark??

I was a bit unsure as surely she could end up eating some of it if she catches a bug on it?

Should i get rid of it and put a retile carpet down instead?

Well yea that is bull to she doesnt need that cuz yea she can eat some of it and it can hurt her. now the best thing to use is paper towels. but reptile carpet is also good just not as easy to clean as a paper towels..lol..i use some fake grass i dont mind the extra work on cleanin to me it is worth it. hope this helps

That helps loads, thanx :)

I'll get rid of it and get some reptile carpet - i don't mind the extra work either.
If i buy 2 or 3 lots i can have some fresh stuff in while the other is drying.

You'd think the people in these shops would have the basic knowledge to guide us novices in the right direction instead of trying to get as much money out of us as possible.

I would've gladly spent triple the amount on the correct equipment.

Usually some of the larger Pet store chains will accept returns on barely used products. Consider it for some of the crud that you were conned into.

It is really better to have nothing at all. Some keepers lay down newspapers or paper towels to help soak up water but that is about it. With the amount of water that has to be delivered to a fair size chameleon substrate just cause more problems then it worth. There is at least one keeper on here that I know of that uses natural ground in his cages (Will). He is very experienced and educated in regards to the possibilities. For a first timer you have enough to figure out and do with out the extra work (and concern) of substrate.

yea that wounds good to have extra. as for me i just remove the grass from the bottom and wash it nice and clean and then replace it. i got pics in my gallery.thats true but i guess thats why its better to do our own research and this forum helps alot.

Yeah, i think i'll be taking a lot of stuff back to them!

I need to go today anyway to stock up on more bugs - they have a fantastic selection. :p

I'm now considering a whole new enclosure, should i get a mesh one and just have a tray underneath?

Cost is of no importance, i want to get it right for her.

I was sold a glass cage that was way too small for her - it was one of these starter packs. It'd be ok for a spider or scorpions but not much else.
I realised as soon as i put her in it that it wasn't suitable so i went and bought another ( glass again ), this one is not as long but a heck of a lot taller so she can climb.
She's seems happy and settled and has a voracious appetite lol, i'm just not convinced that it's right for her now.

I will need to get another cage anyway as this one will be a bit cramped when she's adult so i'll get her a huge suitable one hopefully today.
I'll post some piccies of the cage she's in now when i get home from work ( been in since 3.30am :( )

she needs one her size because a big cage can be bad for her because she can fall. in my opinion u should get one like mine. it works great for me. its 20''tall18wide12deep. and its a "fresh air havitat" its a screan enclosure. yea the tank isnt good for her becuase she need alot of ventalation

I agree with Blood3eva69. Over the next couple of months it will be easier for you to get the hang of owning a chameleon with a smaller cage. It will also be easier for her to find her food and provide a stabilized enviroment. This will buy you some time to plan out the big cage too.

I know you have a veiled but do you know the sex?

I gave my female veiled a way smaller cage then my male. She is happy with it. My male on the other hand is about to get a real big cage. He is getting really large.

My veiled is female, she has plenty of room at the mo so i'll wait a few months to up-grade to a bigger cage.
I think i'll still buy a mesh cage though - just buy similar size to what i've got now, i keep the doors of this cage open when i'm around - not had any bugs escape yet lol

i agree a screen cage would be better and one of a proper size not to big and not to small. im sure ur chameleon will be happy in your hands:)

Usually some of the larger Pet store chains will accept returns on barely used products. Consider it for some of the crud that you were conned into.

lol...I know what you mean. This week I bought my first veild and also purchased a bunch of stuff that the store owner told me I needed. Then after doing more research in books and the internet, I must have made about 10 trips back to exchange and return things. Most pet stores are in the business to make a quick buck, rather than caring for the pets they sell. That's why you can never fully trust a salesman!!

I agree with Blood3eva69. Over the next couple of months it will be easier for you to get the hang of owning a chameleon with a smaller cage. It will also be easier for her to find her food and provide a stabilized enviroment. This will buy you some time to plan out the big cage too.

Yep...I'll also be planning out my big cage while my Cham grows over the next couple of months. She is about 5-6 months old now. So I figure I got about 3-4 months to finish a new cage from scratch. What is a good size for a female Veiled?

I think i'll buy a mesh one now and design my own larger one for when she's adult.

Ok, piccies.

This is the substrate i'm just about to remove.........

nags142.jpg

I've got some reptile carpet for now, i've got a lot of it so i can just keep re-newing it if it's hard work to clean.

This is her cage.......

nags141.jpg

nags140.jpg

nags139.jpg

nags138.jpg

nags137.jpg

She'd just climbed down and ate a cricket while i was taking the pictures lol

Her bowl of veggies is emptied and cleaned every morning, they're misted every time i mist Shiver.

I was told she was about 4 - 5 weeks old when i got her which would make her 8 weeks now, what do you think........

I've only just taken these pics.........

nags143.jpg

nags144.jpg

I personally think she's older???

she seems right for her age..in my opinion. she is a beautiful girl. the cage looks nice and everythinng but yea the screen one would be better and loger lasting since she wont grow out of it quick. yea that substrate is junk just stay with the carpet and put some paper towels in the bottom. it works for me so try it. lol.. she looks healthy keep up the good work.

Back
Top Bottom