Substrate

Miranda

Ok so I just got rid of all the substrate I had in her cage. (After hearing the bit about them getting compacted and dieing).

My question now is,..what do you put in the bottom...? anything? because when I mist I get water all over the bottom..is it okay to have some water standing on the bottom?

I tried the lemon juice thing for hardwater stains too, it works ..very well!!

I attached a picture of lil cahmille vanillie does she look healthy?

Attachments

• stretch.jpg
    stretch.jpg
    18.7 KB · Views: 142
just use reptile carpeting, its easy to clean.

and yes, she looks healthy to me, but i'm not an expert.

Ok so I just got rid of all the substrate I had in her cage... My question now is,..what do you put in the bottom...? anything? because when I mist I get water all over the bottom..is it okay to have some water standing on the bottom?..
Howdy Miranda,

Many of us drill the plastic bottom with many small holes to allow the water to drain though to a drain pan that then drains to a bucket. The idea is to let the bottom dry out at least once every day to help control bacteria.

Here's an old photo of one of my enclosures. Everything sits on a Lazy Susan for easy rotation.
2-BackView.jpg

In this somehwat more recent photo, you can see that I now put my plants on plant stands so the they can better drain and things can dry out below them.
LatestSetup.jpg

Nice cages Dave,
Where did you buy them? I'm currently looking to buy a cage like that or build my own. Please let me know where you got them.

Great set-ups Dave :)

She's a little cutie and looks ok to me.
I've just taken all of my substrate out too, i've bought a load of reptile carpet and i'm putting paper towels underneath to soak up the excess water.
I'm changing the paper towels every day :)

Back
Top Bottom