Substrate

maya2

For a naturalistic vivarium, what do you use for substrate and how do you layer it for proper drainage?

Thanks for reading :D

I use ecoearth, just a small layer in a mesh screen, i replace it every 3 weeks, i dont have any drainage since it soaks up all the water from the mister

Sana

Thank you guys so much for responding! :)

When I say naturalistic I mean that it'll look natural, and that hopefully I would be able to add live plants to it. The added plants aren't the highest priority because obviously there are other ways to have live plants, the appearance is of more importance in this case.

I haven't bought the enclosure yet, but I was planning on using the Dragon Strand Compact Cage System, with substrate trays.
http://dragonstrand.com/product/compact-cage-system/

These would be for carpet chameleons.

I use ecoearth, just a small layer in a mesh screen, i replace it every 3 weeks, i dont have any drainage since it soaks up all the water from the mister

Sana

:eek: This is going to sound stupid, but... mesh screen underneath, or on top so your cham can't get to it?
Mesh screen from home depot or somewhere like that?

If you haven't already, you'll want to check out Kevin Stanford's work. He is the foremost breeder of carpet chameleons and uses naturalistic vivariums exclusively.
Here is his Facebook page where you can see some of his set ups. (Forgive me if you have already seen all of this!)

http://www.facebook.com/kevinstanfordchameleons

Substrates are created by using a bottom layer of leca or hydroballs for drainage. These are clay balls that will let the water pass. On top of the clay balls is a mesh to keep the soil from getting into the clay balls and creating mud. This mesh can be sunshade or screen or some sort of cloth. On top of the mesh is your soil layer.

Although the drainage tray for a compact cage is relatively shallow (2.5" of depth) it has the advantage that you do not need a deep drainage area. A number of holes drilled into the substrate trays allow the water to drain into the included drainage tray. Glass terrariums (without drainage) must have a much deeper layer of clay balls because the water cannot escape and the clay balls must act as a reservoir.

If appearance is important, consider going up in size to the Medium Wide Breeder Cage. The added space will allow much more in the way of planting and naturalistic decoration. You still have the option of the substate tray and drainage tray water management system.

MedWideVivarium640_zps3eae12c4.jpg

If you are going for carpet chameleons in a naturalistic setting, Kevin is your #1 contact.

Bill

If you haven't already, you'll want to check out Kevin Stanford's work. He is the foremost breeder of carpet chameleons and uses naturalistic vivariums exclusively.
Here is his Facebook page where you can see some of his set ups. (Forgive me if you have already seen all of this!)

http://www.facebook.com/kevinstanfordchameleons

Substrates are created by using a bottom layer of leca or hydroballs for drainage. These are clay balls that will let the water pass. On top of the clay balls is a mesh to keep the soil from getting into the clay balls and creating mud. This mesh can be sunshade or screen or some sort of cloth. On top of the mesh is your soil layer.

Although the drainage tray for a compact cage is relatively shallow (2.5" of depth) it has the advantage that you do not need a deep drainage area. A number of holes drilled into the substrate trays allow the water to drain into the included drainage tray. Glass terrariums (without drainage) must have a much deeper layer of clay balls because the water cannot escape and the clay balls must act as a reservoir.

If appearance is important, consider going up in size to the Medium Wide Breeder Cage. The added space will allow much more in the way of planting and naturalistic decoration. You still have the option of the substate tray and drainage tray water management system.

MedWideVivarium640_zps3eae12c4.jpg

If you are going for carpet chameleons in a naturalistic setting, Kevin is your #1 contact.

Bill

Thank you so much!
I actually got my last carpet from Kevin and am getting my next one from him as well :D I had seen his set up but not asked him how yet.

This is EXACTLY what I wanted to know. :D

Screen front is better for this situation on the medium wide, I'm assuming?

Back
Top Bottom