Substrate

The bottom of cages should be clear , so the cham doesnt eat the substrate by mistake .

welcome to the forum. As said above it is recommended that you do not use substrate. It is so easy for the Cham to shoot for a feeder and swallow a bit which could cause impaction. It also attracts mould growth by continuous spraying. personally i use repti carpet and hoover it every week. Some use paper towel, some newspaper. You have a panther, we would love to see photos. you have come to the right place to ask questions.:)

Some of the senior members here use substrate. Some I would consider very knowledgable and experienced.

Coconut fiber should be pretty safe- it's pretty safe for other lizards.
It doesn't mold, but poop and dead crickets and other organic left on a slightly damp substrate will mold. Keep things picked up regularly.

The benefit of substrate like coconut fiber is humidity.

That said- I'm playing devils advocate with this advice. I don't use substrate myself, but I do use plants in pots that are 17" across full of soil, so I guess I'm basically doing the same thing...

I don't like anything on the bottom as I just cannot imagine after all the misting and/or dripping of water that the stuff would not get nasty after awhile, no matter what you are using. Coconut fiber is in bigger pieces so the cham probably would not be able to injest that while shooting for prey, but it might just take a chunk off off of it.They have been known to munch on stuff. Mulch or bark chips are totally out of the question. There was a member on here that had a chameleon with a big chunk of mulch sticking out of its vent that it could not pass. I don't remember what ever ended up happening to the chameleon. There have been other instances on here too with chameleons injesting the substrate and moss also in the bottom of the enclosures. I just go by rule of better safe than sorry..

Some of the senior members here use substrate. Some I would consider very knowledgable and experienced.

Coconut fiber should be pretty safe- it's pretty safe for other lizards.
It doesn't mold, but poop and dead crickets and other organic left on a slightly damp substrate will mold. Keep things picked up regularly.

The benefit of substrate like coconut fiber is humidity.

That said- I'm playing devils advocate with this advice. I don't use substrate myself, but I do use plants in pots that are 17" across full of soil, so I guess I'm basically doing the same thing...

Kind of backwards I'd say, not horribly saying that!
So really live plans are a no no when people say "no substrate"
I mean the chams I had never venture to the bottom as they are tree dwelling!
That's like saying fish walk on land lol!

I actually have a chameleon that loves walking and sitting on the bottom of the cage. He does it in every cage I have, indoor or outdoor including a free range area. I always find him on the floor. He is a real oddball!!

I actually have a chameleon that loves walking and sitting on the bottom of the cage. He does it in every cage I have, indoor or outdoor including a free range area. I always find him on the floor. He is a real oddball!!

Thanks for the replies!

Attachments

• photo.jpg
    photo.jpg
    250 KB · Views: 133
I've tried to add more pics for you to look at but it doesn't seem to want to let me add them to this thread. I have another thread that is titled "help Sexing" with more pics. If any one knows how to determine the sex would you please take a look and let me know what you think? I would really appreciate the help.

Back
Top Bottom