Substrate and coil UVB lights

Fidget321

Hi all,

Sorry if I am reposting and asking what has been said hundreds of times. But I simply cannot find anything using the search (I don't think the search button likes me)

Okay, first question:

1. When I was a beginner chameleon pet keeper, I learnt that substrate in a chameleon cage is a no go. As in never.ever.ever. put it in a chameleon cage. The problem is, I was asked "why" the other day and by the life of me I can't remember. Please can someone just give me a short explanation as to why you can't keep substrate in a cage?

2. UVB coil light bulbs, we all love to hate them. I sent someone to go buy me a UVB light the other day, this friend does not know a lot about housing chameleons and he phoned me, "There are these nice coil ones, don't you want one of those?" So I said "hell, no". I can remember seeing what it does to your pets eyes, but I cannot find anything over the internet anymore, again can someone please help me with this?

Thanks a mil guys!!

The substrate collects the moisture from the mistings and will mold. That increases the chance of respiratory infections.

I'm not sure the UVB coils, but I think it has something to do with the brightness hurting their eyes.

Hi all,

Sorry if I am reposting and asking what has been said hundreds of times. But I simply cannot find anything using the search (I don't think the search button likes me)

Okay, first question:

1. When I was a beginner chameleon pet keeper, I learnt that substrate in a chameleon cage is a no go. As in never.ever.ever. put it in a chameleon cage. The problem is, I was asked "why" the other day and by the life of me I can't remember. Please can someone just give me a short explanation as to why you can't keep substrate in a cage?

Because substrate provides ample places for the lizards food to hide for a start. Moreover, depending on type, may pose a hazard of ingestion which could impact your lizard. If you dont poo you die! :)

2. UVB coil light bulbs, we all love to hate them. I sent someone to go buy me a UVB light the other day, this friend does not know a lot about housing chameleons and he phoned me, "There are these nice coil ones, don't you want one of those?" So I said "hell, no". I can remember seeing what it does to your pets eyes, but I cannot find anything over the internet anymore, again can someone please help me with this?

Some were dodgy and caused eye issues Photokeratinitis (corneal damage)
however most brands that were were later improved. People still use them and its likely that if you buy one now (reptile specific uvb emmitting) it will probably fine. However, folk recommend linear (long tube) types for a number of reasons, a broader area of UVB exposure for one. Zoomed reptisun is often
recommended.

Thanks a mil guys!!

Really?

That is actually great news, I still have the standard tubes, I just had to rebuy mine because it was past it's six month period.

If I now go back to the pet shops, how do I know that they are the new (safe) ones. My pet shop only stocks exo terra and Repti sun.

Thanks

Well as far as the substrate, impacting is the main problem. If he tries to eat and gets a piece of substrate instead he can't digest it and he is now impacted. The coil light I'm my opinion besides the eye issue they don't give you a broad enough exposure. The coil light put off light in a downward cone. A linear bulb give you a broader range of light. Making it easier for your chameleon to absorb UVB.

Well as far as the substrate, impacting is the main problem. If he tries to eat and gets a piece of substrate instead he can't digest it and he is now impacted. The coil light I'm my opinion besides the eye issue they don't give you a broad enough exposure. The coil light put off light in a downward cone. A linear bulb give you a broader range of light. Making it easier for your chameleon to absorb UVB.

This is great replies guys, short question, I have a ficus Benjamin in the cage with potting soil, and another pot (That I need to take out, because I had it in there for her to lay her annual eggs) Both containing potting soil. Same scenario, what happens if she ingests the potting soil?

If you sift/seive the soil finely to remove any non digestable bits, bark/twigs/tiny rocks etc, and the soil is organic (no fertilisers or water absorbtion chemicals etc) then it shouldnt be an issue.
That said, if it worries you, you could pile up some large smooth river stones over the soil to prevent it. (the plant pot)

If you sift/seive the soil finely to remove any non digestable bits, bark/twigs/tiny rocks etc, and the soil is organic (no fertilisers or water absorbtion chemicals etc) then it shouldnt be an issue.
That said, if it worries you, you could pile up some large smooth river stones over the soil to prevent it.

Great stuff. I haven't done this (But betting on me, it will be done after 15 minutes from getting home)
I use a feeder cup so I don't think I'm in danger of this, but better to be safe than sorry.

Thanks guys.

Yes and the river stones will also look pretty. I normally boil big stones I pick up from the beach in water and put them in (After they have cooled off - obviously)

Last edited:
Great stuff. I haven't done this (But betting on me, it will be done after 15 minutes from getting home)
I use a feeder cup so I don't think I'm in danger of this, but better to be safe than sorry.

Thanks guys.

Definitely use the bigger stones they can injest smaller stones (gravel) and will become impacted that way.

Back
Top Bottom