Stupid mouth rot

pssh

Avid Member
So she had mouth rot previously an it seemed to clear up with baytril. It came back and I'm not entirely sure if its a temporal infection or not, but it is up by her nostrils. I cleaned it out with some ball tipped picks and chlorhexidine solution.

Any suggestions (other than going to the vet?) We will be going soon, but I just thought I'd check here in the mean time.

Chameleon Info:
Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care? F. pardalis “sambava,” female, approx. 15-16 months old. I’ve had her for about 2.5 months
Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon? Almost never. Every couple weeks I check her for eggs and look at her mouth
Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders? Crickets, silkies, hornworms, superworms, mealworms, dubia, discoids, flies, whatever else I have at the time. She was small when I got her and still is somewhat so I feed her quite a bit. She pretty much was free fed, but her casque is starting to fill out more and she has stopped shedding so frequently so I think I will slow it down. Dry gutload: Brewers yeast, alfalfa, bee pollen, yellow split peas, millet, black eyed peas, dried fruits and veggies, grape nuts, oats, wheat bran, wheat germ, spirulina, other seaweeds/kelps, pearled barley, sesame seeds, rice, raw sunflower seeds, white beans, pink beans, black beans, granola, soy flour, milk. Wet gutload: kale, mustard greens, collard greens, dandelion, endive, escarole, sweet peppers, sweet potato, summer and winter squash, raspberries, blueberries, strawberries, apples, citrus, etc.
Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule? repcal, zoomed (?) and minerall. Mineral outdoors most feedings, repcal with d3 once every 4-6 weeks (or zoomed with d3 3-4 times a month) and a multi once every 4-6 weeks.
Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking? She gets misted several times a day. Usually for 3+ minutes at a time. She’s a good drinker
Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites? Normal, white urate, haven’t had her checked yet.
History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you. She had been passed between breeders a few times (in a rather short period.) She was being treated for mouth rot previously just before I got her. It cleared up and I took her home. She was rather small and ended up shedding 3 times in about a month and has gained a lot of (normal) weight. She had a very small clutch of her first eggs (I can’t remember if it was 8 or 13…) when I first got her. Hasn’t shown signs of cycling since.

Cage Info:
Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions? Free range in my bathroom mostly. 2.5 ish X 4 ish X 7 ish
Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule? Westrons 100 watt Mercury vapor bulb. L:D 13:11
Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps? she has two basking spots, one is 80 degrees and the other is 85 or so. She prefers the warmer one right now. Ambient is about 70, night is around 65. Temp gun.
Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity? 50% ish ambient, 90+% after misting
Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind? Ficus, dwarf umbrella, and pothos.
Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor? No fans, vents, and no traffic except me
Location - Where are you geographically located? Central California

Did you take her to the vet? Maybe a longer antibiotics treatment will the job for good.

Pseudomonas it the normal bacteria involved with mouth infections and its not the easiest bacteria to get rid of.

Yeah. Since yesterday it has gotten a lot better looking. I want to see what happens for a day or two before I take her in.

Kara since she seems to be already favoring the warmer heat source I suggest warming the room a few degrees overnight as well. The sooner you can get treatment started the better.
best wishes :)

Back
Top Bottom