Stunted Growth?

YoshiTheVeiled

* Cage Type - 4 x 3 x 2 cage, with screen on 3 sides on the top, wood on the back.
* Lighting - im using a reptisun 10. long tube,Regular 75w house bulb
* Temperature - 90 in basking depending where he perches. about 76-80 at bottom of plants Lowest overnight temp is about 70. Measure the temps with a therm gun.
* Humidity - My humidity levels are about 50% normally and spike to 70-80 when misting.
* Plants - Jasmine and Schefflera
* Location - Corner of my bedroom I .the vents not close to him. About 7 feet off the floor.. Not much traffic besides me.

Chameleon Info:

* Your Chameleon - Veiled, male, not sure of exact age, I want to say 7-8 months but unsure. He is 6-7 inches from head to tail if that helps.
* Handling - I don't handle him, he likes to hiss at me.
* Feeding - I feed him crickets, supers and occasional dubia. The crickets are gut loaded with premade food plus carrots and assorted greens. . He has no problems with his tongue.
* Supplements - I've been using repti-cal with d3 2-3 times reptical without 2-3 and mix in herpivite with the cals about once a month
* Watering - I mist twice a day with a dripper running all day.
* Fecal Description - White with solid black/brown. Never been tested for parasites.

Problem- About two months back I got this little guy and made the mistake of using a powersun. He kept his eyes closed for about a week until I took it out. During this time he ate very little, maybe 1-3 crickets a day if I was lucky. A week after, his eyes were perfect and his appetite came back to about 10-15 crix a day. Now fast forward two months to the present. He has not grown a bit. I got my cham (male) probably a few weeks before my roommate. When he got his she was probably 3-4 inches smaller then him. Now she is almost double his size. He has no problems eating. He is 10x faster then my roommates and he has no signs of mbd. He cruises the cage with no difficulty. I am currently saving up for a vet visit because I know its going to cost a pretty penny, but until then has anyone heard of anything like this happening? Thanks in advance.

Based on what you have listed you should be using a Reptisun 5.0., 10 is for desert reptiles. This is the only thing I can think of, other, more experienced people will be able to give you more info.

maybe hes a late bloomer, or a "runt" it sounds like everythiing your doing is right. if hes healthy and happy theres not much for you can ask for :)

I'm not sure about your lights.....10 might be too much. You should be using plain calcium at just about every feeding, calcium with d3 twice a month
Reptivite once a month. Lightly dust feeders.

There's a wonderful chameleon vet in Orlando (well worth the drive) and he's not very expensive either. You could ask when you make your appt how much a visit will be. His name is Dr. Alfonso.......check out his website:
www.kirkmanareavet.com.

"I can't say there seems to be anything wrong with the chameleon. If he is eating, drinking and active then maybe he is simply a small specimen. Not all Veileds will grow to their standard adult length so yours could be a dwarf. It is very hard to determine if anything is wrong when he is acting as normal as can be."

Email from Dr. Alfonso

I probably will still get him tested, just gotta save up some extra cash.

Back
Top Bottom