Stunted Growth?

We rescued a female veiled not quite a week ago. She was malnourished and didn't look good. The photos we shared with some "in the know" said she looked like she was 5-6 months, but unfortunately she is actually around 2 years old.

We have been doing TONS of research since this is our first chameleon and when we saw photos and videos of what full grown female veiled chameleons look like, we were bummed for her.

I read somewhere that if they don't receive proper nutrition in their first six months, their growth can be stunted and she just won't grow any bigger.

Anyone have any info/experience with this?

I'm attaching a photo we took last Friday of her. Her original name was Tammy, but my wife renamed her Beyoncé because "she's a survivor"...LOL

She's filled out a bit in a week, but she's not eating at the moment.

Thanks for any info!

Rick and Karrie

We rescued a female veiled not quite a week ago. She was malnourished and didn't look good. The photos we shared with some "in the know" said she looked like she was 5-6 months, but unfortunately she is actually around 2 years old.

We have been doing TONS of research since this is our first chameleon and when we saw photos and videos of what full grown female veiled chameleons look like, we were bummed for her.

I read somewhere that if they don't receive proper nutrition in their first six months, their growth can be stunted and she just won't grow any bigger.

Anyone have any info/experience with this?

I'm attaching a photo we took last Friday of her. Her original name was Tammy, but my wife renamed her Beyoncé because "she's a survivor"...LOL

She's filled out a bit in a week, but she's not eating at the moment.

Thanks for any info!

Rick and Karrie

I didn't see your photo. If she wasn't cared for properly when she was actively growing she could be stunted, but you can still get her into better condition regardless of her overall size. What you should focus on more would be active MBD, vitamin deficiencies, and chronic dehydration that could have damaged her kidneys, but improving her care should take care of most of that.

Sorry, apparently I uploaded the same photo in a different post and it wouldn't let me. Here's a different photo.

Obviously we are fine with her size as long as she's healthy. I was just curious if that was a possibility or if she would still grow.

Thanks!

Attachments

• Beyonce-Arm.jpg
    Beyonce-Arm.jpg
    52 KB · Views: 222
Sorry, apparently I uploaded the same photo in a different post and it wouldn't let me. Here's a different photo.

Obviously we are fine with her size as long as she's healthy. I was just curious if that was a possibility or if she would still grow.

Thanks!

Really hard to predict, sorry. She might grow a little, as herps don't completely stop growing throughout their lives. The growth rate just slows down significantly. It may have more to do with her hormonal age.

Back
Top Bottom