Stumped the vet -- anyone ever seen this?

They look similar but have a different distribution. AnamCara's appear to be on the spinous processes and ActionJackson's are more randomly distributed. Did you find more that ran along the spine?
I’ll ad to similar cases- my female came to me with a similar lump on her casque. Only one, hasn’t grown or shrunk at all, even with taking her off synthetic supplements (sunlight and calcium only, treating gular edema).
18256D7E-CC59-435F-A7E8-123D2DBF153C.jpeg

I’ve looked, and she has no other lumps, no other issues, just a little bump. I’ll be curious to see if we find a reason for these here.

They look similar but have a different distribution. AnamCara's appear to be on the spinous processes and ActionJackson's are more randomly distributed. Did you find more that ran along the spine?
@AnamCara are you using Repashy LoD daily? I know a major panther breeder recommends that on their care sheet but I find it causes problems if used more than once a week for indoors or twice a month for those kept outdoors. My indoor Jackson's only get it twice a month on one or two feeders dusted lightly, outdoors get it once a month. I use plain calcium the rest of the time, varies by species and lighting.
I use it ever time I feed but I dust it VERY lightly. I feed 2-3 times a week. I also occasionally fast my girl in attempts to get a more varied diet (she will only eat crickets and silworms and flies, not larvae) . So far that regiment has prevented egg laying as well. She's 2 1/2.

Before I start, Coza is still doing great!

Ive known about this for a long time as she's always had them, but I just got some pictures that finally actually show the bumps. She's been all checked out by the vet multiple times and they have been aspirated with a tiny puncture. They're hard feeling, like bone. Vet (very experienced with chameleons) said she'd never seen anything like it. We did x rays and everything. They're along her spine, tail and on her lower jaw -- they all align perfectly with her bone structure. They don't bother her, arnt absesses or infection, nothing to be treated. I'm wondering if any long time keepers have ever seen anything like this?
View attachment 315772View attachment 315773
Not exactly like this. BUT you can see below what was discovered in some diagnostic rads of my monkey frogs (one had a bladder stone, so we radiographed all of them). You can see the frog at the bottom has-bilateral, calcified bumps-along the spine. They did not show through the skin but a frog carries more fat on their back than a cham. This is a completely asymptomatic, healthy frog and 2 of the 12 had this. I suspect it is something that happens developmentally in the egg, or in the frog case, tadpole stage. In general, the more a problem is bilateral the less likely it is to be something problematic.

Attachments

• Frog Rads0001.jpg
    Frog Rads0001.jpg
    86.9 KB · Views: 56
Not exactly like this. BUT you can see below what was discovered in some diagnostic rads of my monkey frogs (one had a bladder stone, so we radiographed all of them). You can see the frog at the bottom has-bilateral, calcified bumps-along the spine. They did not show through the skin but a frog carries more fat on their back than a cham. This is a completely asymptomatic, healthy frog and 2 of the 12 had this. I suspect it is something that happens developmentally in the egg, or in the frog case, tadpole stage. In general, the more a problem is bilateral the less likely it is to be something problematic.
Oooo very interesting. Thank you for sharing!

I've been doing a little research into the supplement switch. Thinking between using reptivite with D3 every two weeks versus the LoD every two weeks. The reptivite has 22,907 IUs of D3, while the plus LoD has 8,000. That's a huge difference and I've seen people use both as their d3 / multivitamin. What do people on this thread use? I'm a little concerned about the high levels in reptivite all at one feeding, and I don't think the levels in LoD are enough for every two weeks...

Repticalcium with D3 has 10,390 IUs. So different still. With this maybe reptivite without D3 every alternating two weeks (the old go to?) I was hoping to keep this simple but there is nothing simple with chameleons really (other than automated lights and misting...) I think I'll call my vet and get her opinion as well.

I've been doing a little research into the supplement switch. Thinking between using reptivite with D3 every two weeks versus the LoD every two weeks. The reptivite has 22,907 IUs of D3, while the plus LoD has 8,000. That's a huge difference and I've seen people use both as their d3 / multivitamin. What do people on this thread use? I'm a little concerned about the high levels in reptivite all at one feeding, and I don't think the levels in LoD are enough for every two weeks...

Repticalcium with D3 has 10,390 IUs. So different still. With this maybe reptivite without D3 every alternating two weeks (the old go to?) I was hoping to keep this simple but there is nothing simple with chameleons really (other than automated lights and misting...) I think I'll call my vet and get her opinion as well.
I am using the repashy Supercal noD at all feedings and then I use repashy calcium plus LoD at 2 feedings a month.

I do minor all indoor 2 times a month and reptivite 2 times a month with all other feedings calcium. I dont know how the repashy lod works because from what I've read is vit A & vit D is antagonists to each other so cancel out somewhat. Which is why i believe in the separate offerings of the vit A & vit D

Could the lumps be like bone spurs?

Back
Top Bottom