Stumped the vet -- anyone ever seen this?

AnamCara

Chameleon Enthusiast
Before I start, Coza is still doing great!

Ive known about this for a long time as she's always had them, but I just got some pictures that finally actually show the bumps. She's been all checked out by the vet multiple times and they have been aspirated with a tiny puncture. They're hard feeling, like bone. Vet (very experienced with chameleons) said she'd never seen anything like it. We did x rays and everything. They're along her spine, tail and on her lower jaw -- they all align perfectly with her bone structure. They don't bother her, arnt absesses or infection, nothing to be treated. I'm wondering if any long time keepers have ever seen anything like this?
20211129_160732.jpg
20211129_160718.jpg

What supplements are you using?
She has been on repashy calcium plus LoD her whole life. Vet said that was fine and she never had signs of oversupplementation (unless this is one?) Blood work all looked good too.

I should note -- when I first started keeping chameleons this supplementation regiment was suggested. I came back to the forums recently and see that some people were experiencing edema so they went back to recommendation phos free calcium with the twice a month vitamin and D3.

She has been on repashy calcium plus LoD her whole life. Vet said that was fine and she never had signs of oversupplementation (unless this is one?) Blood work all looked good too.

I should note -- when I first started keeping chameleons this supplementation regiment was suggested. I came back to the forums recently and see that some people were experiencing edema so they went back to recommendation phos free calcium with the twice a month vitamin and D3.
I kind of knew you would say this. I keep Parson’s and I was using Repashy LoD for a while. I started noticing bumps and skin lesions. It got pretty bad and was showing up on multiple chameleons. I had skin biopsies done. It came back as calcium deposits. I stopped using the LoD and things slowly went back to normal.

I kind of knew you would say this. I keep Parson’s and I was using Repashy LoD for a while. I started noticing bumps and skin lesions. It got pretty bad and was showing up on multiple chameleons. I had skin biopsies done. It came back as calcium deposits. I stopped using the LoD and things slowly went back to normal.
Very interesting. I'm so glad I asked this question. Would the calcium deposits show up on x-ray? It's weird bc they're so symmetrical in placement and size. Skin lesions, yikes. Looks like I'll be switching up my supplemtation and discussing with my vet. Thanks so much, I really appreciate it!

Very interesting. I'm so glad I asked this question. Would the calcium deposits show up on x-ray? It's weird bc they're so symmetrical in placement and size. Skin lesions, yikes. Looks like I'll be switching up my supplemtation and discussing with my vet. Thanks so much, I really appreciate it!
I didn’t have X-Rays done so I don’t know. I said it got pretty bad but it actually got very bad with one of my Parson’s. She had blood oozing from her skin at one point. I stopped using that supplement and kinda did my own treatment on her skin and she made a full recovery. I have quite a few pictures of the bumps and skin issues I saw.

I didn’t have X-Rays done so I don’t know. I said it got pretty bad but it actually got very bad with one of my Parson’s. She had blood oozing from her skin at one point. I stopped using that supplement and kinda did my own treatment on her skin and she made a full recovery. I have quite a few pictures of the bumps and skin issues I saw.
If you wouldn't mind, I'd love to see pictures of the bumps.

They look similar but have a different distribution. AnamCara's appear to be on the spinous processes and ActionJackson's are more randomly distributed. Did you find more that ran along the spine?
@AnamCara are you using Repashy LoD daily? I know a major panther breeder recommends that on their care sheet but I find it causes problems if used more than once a week for indoors or twice a month for those kept outdoors. My indoor Jackson's only get it twice a month on one or two feeders dusted lightly, outdoors get it once a month. I use plain calcium the rest of the time, varies by species and lighting.

Back
Top Bottom