stuey has MBD

lol i dont want to look like "omg stueys gonna be a freak im just gonna let him die" cause im not gonna let him die. ty guys im lookin int o liquid calcium at the vet...dunno were else to find.

You should be able to get calcium gluconate liquid or calcium Sandoz at the pharmacy. Just be careful when you give it to your chameleon because its syrupy and harder for chameleons to swallow, so give it to him a little at a time and slowly. You don't want to get any of it in his lungs.

Hope he will soon have strong bones again!

stuey
understand one thing, cham's take a very long time to recover, it is not like me or you who show signs daily. if you cannot get him to open his mouth, get a syringe with no needle, you can make your own sauce or buy baby food, put his supplements in the sauce and pry his lips with the end of the syringe, even if he doesn't open his mouth you will force some food thru his jaws, back up and you will notice he will start to swallow and chew and you may get another shot in then, if not just shot some more between his lips. it may be slow going but it works and they get used to it. i even have a big grumpy jackson who got a foot infection from a pulled toe nail which infected his whole body, now he will open his mouth when he sees me giving his antibiotics to him. i think he understands, he felt lousey, forced feedings, feels better, ok maybe he is helping.
it seems it takes forever to see signs of improvement but after a few weeks just like overnight they got sick, they will seem better.
good luck
drew

i know that.

know wut i hate about this?

i KNEW he was getting MBD. i knew it but my parents didnt belive me until it was 2 late.

NO1 belives a KID.

Hey Stuey,

I noticed that it says that you're in Detroit? I'm from MI too ... if you need the names of some vets that I know personally who have good experience with MBD let me know. THey might be a bit of a drive for you though, depending on exactly where you're located.

Good luck!

Jamie

ok cool, i found this one place...vey nice, forgot name ill post it when i go to my moms house.

yea hes doin better. he still wont eat tho, he just spits the cricket right out.

since we didnt have the liquid calcium on hand, i came up with the idea of disolving the calcium powder in some hot water and giving that to him. good or bad idea?

also adding the calcium powder to bug juice, my moms gonna go get the stuff for the bug juice today, because obviously i cant drive and hav no credit card. :D

PS. this guy, my sisters friends dad wants to wrap up the fractured arms in like a splint, just above the elbows cause those are were the fractures are. i think its a good idea cause then his leg will be more straitend and he canmove around better. again, good or bad idea?

You splint in order to supply support and to ease pain. A splint doesn't much straighten out the bone unless you pull and set it, which might not be something that either you or your sisters friends dad can do, unless he knows how to properly set bones in such little guys. (I've had training on how to do this for people. It's tricky. And it hurts like hell to have it done.) Any vet can easily splint his leg. They usually have to practice setting bones on birds while in training. If it was my baby, I'd splint it but I've done tons of splinting on people, and I wouldn't ever set the bones. If I hadn't done lots of splinting before, I'd leave it. Even if he does heal with it in a weird angle, he's a bit more self-confident in his appearance than you or I and you're protecting him from anything that's going to eat him. He'll be okay with an extra elbow, he'll just look a little weird. And he will NOT like the splinting process. He'll fight like the dickens and you've got a decent chance of making the break worse. You had already taken him to the vet though; what did the vet do about his arm?

I would have to say that splinting an chameleon's bones is NOT easy even for vets, though it can be done. THe vet that I use is known for being one of the most creative and talented osteopathic vets in the area and it was a challenge -- chameleon's don't exactly understand "stand still" and because they are so weak you have to be very careful restraining them so that more bones don't break.

IMHO the best chance that you hvae to get the cham healed right is to contact one of these vets in Michigan --

Dr. Susan Lewis from All Creatures Animal Clinic in Ypsilanti/Ann Arbor area.

Dr. Beasley or Dr. Nolan at Cedar Creek Veterinary Clinic in Williamston.

I have had personal experiences with ALL of them with my Chameleon Hermie and his MBD and cannot speak highly enough of them. They know what they're doing, they're dedicated and they'll get the job done right.

I agree-it's not easy at all. The only reason I'd do it myself is that I'm certified in a stack of backcountry and wilderness medical procedures. If I didn't have the experience already doing such things in children I wouldn't touch the little guy. I also wouldn't if a vet had already checked him out and said to leave it. But it can be hard to tell an adult no when you're a kid and even harder to get 'em to listen to you. Hearing someone say that it's okay to leave the thing alone might help. The end of it is if the vet said it's okay to leave it alone, it's best to leave it alone. A broken arm is survivable, even if just left be. A broken set of ribs isn't so much.

ok ill tell him, he was a vet or somthing at the zoo so he knows wut hes doin, i think he wont mind it to much, he was very calm for the shot :confused:

ill think on it but i think it will let him move easyer cause u dont moev your arm above your elbow, i think it will help him walk and such, and the broken bone wont like rip at his muscels or wutever.

To effectively splint it -- because what you really want to do is immobilize it so that the bones can knit -- the joint before and after need to be immobilized.

Hermie still managed to get around with four splints and immobilized joints, but I did not give him anything to climb on while he was healing, execpt for the ruffles in his blanket.

how would you splint a chameleons broken bones?
im curoius i mean would u use some kind of tape? etc

im thinking maybe theres something high-tech that could be used. maybe im wrong though.

It slowly shows, if you know what to look for, but unfortunately many new keepers don't know what to be on the lookout for and by the time that they realize that something is wrong, the MBD is pretty far advanced.

Back
Top Bottom