stuck shed around eyes

yes he will climb on the screen to get even closer to the light but here is a picture of where i have the temperature probe and the temperature it’s reading at and his different perching options i know it’s not the best but i’m working on it i also plan to get him a taller cage as he’s a male and is in a 3ft tall cage rn and i just learned he was a male yesterday, the woman i got him from told me he was female, which i now know is not true
Is that a red light in the light dome? Also, could you post a picture of his back feet and fill out this form, please?
https://www.chameleonforums.com/how-ask-help-66/

Don’t take this to the bank, but I read somewhere (I forgot where) that red makes them stressed, so he might be trying to escape the cage to get away from those red walls. Could you fill out this form, please?
https://www.chameleonforums.com/how-ask-help-66/
that’s interesting, all of my walls are brightly colored and paint splattered (thanks 12 year old me)

i filled out the form, all of my answers are in parentheses

◦ Your Chameleon - The species (veiled), sex (male), and age of your chameleon(3 years). How long has it been in your care?(5 days)

◦ Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?(every day except for one so far for 3-10 minutes but don’t plan on handling every day or for long)

◦ Feeding - What are you feeding your cham?(crickets and superworms, used to eat a diet of just crickets with no supplements) What amount?(was eating 10 cricks a day now eats about 5-6 cricks(is offered 10 but isn’t interested in all of them, maybe bc of new environment? and 2 superworms)) What is the schedule?(every other day) How are you gut-loading your feeders? (flukers orange cube complete cricket diet (needs changed working on that as well, also getting wider variety of feeders))

◦ Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?(had no vitamins and no calcium until 5 days ago when i got him, he gets his food dusted every other day with calcium, i use exoterra calcium without d3)

◦ Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use?(spray bottle, spraying down leaves, previous owners had a small tupperware bowl of water at the bottom of the cage that they claim he drinks out of, i left it in just in case he does) How often and how long to you mist?(previous owners misted him 2x a day once in the morning once about 5 pm, i do at least 3x a day if not 5 i just mist his fake plants for a little bit i make sure they are dripping) Do you see yourchameleon drinking?(i have not yet seen him drink off of leaves or out of his bowl)

◦ Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. (egg white color/ consistency, harder black poops, harderbrown poops, and white poops that look like cheese curds, all in the same poop session lol) Has this chameleon ever been tested forparasites?(not that i know of and i highly doubt it)

◦ History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.(he was rescued by his previous owners, and now i am attempting to rescue him again lol, there is nothing out of the ordinary that i have been told that hasn’t already been mentioned, except he had a 2-3 inch portion ofthe spines on his back missing, previous owners said the owner before them was careless and probably had some sort of accident but he has healed fine (at least it seems like it) but there seems to be no scarring or anything (idk if/how chams scar) but it looks like it could’ve maybebeen some sort of birth defect bc i suspect an injury like that would’ve killed her)

Cage Info:

◦ Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen,Combo?) (screen) What are the dimensions? (2feet deep 2 feet wide 3 feet tall)

◦ Lighting - What brand, model, and types oflighting are you using? (all lighting came from previous owner. i believe it is zoomed i have aheat lamp which i believe is 100 watts, and a tropical uvb bulb which i believe is somewhere between 100-150 watts),What is your daily lighting schedule? (12 hrs on, twelve hrs off, 8:30am-8:30pm lights on)

◦ Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)?(the cage is a steady 75 degrees all around, basking spot reaches about 95 degrees) Lowest overnight temp?(id say 72, my room stay very warm) How do you measure these temps? cool side is measured with a simple stick on thermometer and hygrometer, basking spot is checked with a flir thermal camera and a digital thermometer)

◦ Humidity - What are your humidity levels? (50-70) How are you creating and maintaining these levels?(misting cage, naturally humid house) What do you use to measure humidity? (simple stick on hygrometer)

◦ Plants - Are you using live plants?(no but i’m working on locating some) If so, what kind?

◦ Placement - Where is your cage located? (on top of my desk) Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas?(no, there is a fan in the middle of the room but it’s on low and pointed away from her, to circulate air) At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?(probablyabout 5 and a half feet or so)

◦ Location - Where are you geographicallylocated?(pennsylvania usa)

Current Problem - stuck shed

yes i went over lighting a day or so ago in my previous thread i remember you helping out, here it is if you wanted to check it out:
https://www.chameleonforums.com/threads/where-to-buy-veiled-safe-plants.166007/
Thank you, I knew your name looked familiar! So we went over cages, lighting, gutload, feeders, and supplement. Instead of repainting the walls, you can get a tarp or something and cover that side of the cage (it’ll help with humidity, too!). Adding live plants and investing in an automated mister should help with humidity in the future, along with shedding. I’m no expert on stuck shed, but putting the chameleon on some sort of branch/stand/enclosure in the shower (out of the way of the water stream) with warm water might help. As for the poop, check out the poop 101 thread in the health section of the forums. I don’t know much about veiled temps, so I can’t help you there. Did you read the veiled chameleon caresheet?

Thank you, I knew your name looked familiar! So we went over cages, lighting, gutload, feeders, and supplement. Instead of repainting the walls, you can get a tarp or something and cover that side of the cage (it’ll help with humidity, too!). Adding live plants and investing in an automated mister should help with humidity in the future, along with shedding. I’m no expert on stuck shed, but putting the chameleon on some sort of branch/stand/enclosure in the shower (out of the way of the water stream) with warm water might help. As for the poop, check out the poop 101 thread in the health section of the forums. I don’t know much about veiled temps, so I can’t help you there. Did you read the veiled chameleon caresheet?
For sheds, if you use the shower, point the shower head against the wall so that the chameleon gets the mist and water that splashes back. I just used a mister in the shower, I don't like wasting so much water that way, but it is an option.

yes we went over a looot of things haha
i was considering getting some plastic to cover the side facing the wall and my mini fridge to protect both from water but humidity stays really good always above or at 50%
i’ll def be getting love plants and will probably get a misting system once everything else is sorted, especially lights
i may have to try the shower method if it doesn’t come off soon
i’ve looked at the poop 101 thread, all seems well
i’ve also read the caresheet and many many others

yes he will climb on the screen to get even closer to the light but here is a picture of where i have the temperature probe and the temperature it’s reading at and his different perching options i know it’s not the best but i’m working on it i also plan to get him a taller cage as he’s a male and is in a 3ft tall cage rn and i just learned he was a male yesterday, the woman i got him from told me he was female, which i now know is not true.

It doesn't appear to be too close but kinda tough to tell from the pics. Just keep an eye on his back ridge and his crest. If it starts looking like it should shed but it doesn't, it could be the heat light. Since you just got him the wound would be from when the prior owner had him. The temp looks good if thats the area where he gets the most heat exposure. Mine has about 3 options to pick how close he wants to get. Definitely work on getting more hiding and climbing places in his cage. If he has a leafy place he can hide and be 100% out of view, he'll probably grow and heal better since he'll be under less stress. Cages are always a work in progress (for me anyway). Here is a pic of mine. I need to at least double the amount of vegetation to have an ideal cham environment.

Attachments

• 20180324_083624.jpg
    20180324_083624.jpg
    470.3 KB · Views: 171
Three things: I would recommend getting a linear uvb bulb, getting more plant cover, and what is that bin in the bottom of the cage? Good job on the branches, though!

Three things: I would recommend getting a linear uvb bulb, getting more plant cover, and what is that bin in the bottom of the cage? Good job on the branches, though!
Thanks. I was actually looking for an old china cabinet to convert rather then spend much more time trying to build up this flimsy screen cage--and definitely going with the linear UB bulb. I have one i just need to set up a fixture for it. The bin catches the water that drips from a humidifier i have at the top of the cage. The water drips down the leaves to the bin... and its also the spot where he has his bathroom (most of the time). So its a quick and easy clean up. i have a plastic plant in there so the crickets don't get trapped in the bin and drown.

i’m also trying to find a place to find linear uvb i think i’m going to be taking a pet store, hardware store, plant store trip tomorrow after work
i’m trying to find somewhere to get plants but most places no longer have any left and it’s getting cold here
the little gray bowl is a food dish i dump his food in there he hurries down to get his superworms and the crickets hop out and climb the walls and he gets them, he also has a water dish i’ve never seen him use but his previous owner said he drank out of it so i just left it just in case

i’m also trying to find a place to find linear uvb i think i’m going to be taking a pet store, hardware store, plant store trip tomorrow after work
i’m trying to find somewhere to get plants but most places no longer have any left and it’s getting cold here
the little gray bowl is a food dish i dump his food in there he hurries down to get his mealworms and the crickets hop out and climb the walls and he gets them, he also has a water dish i’ve never seen him use but his previous owner said he drank out of it so i just left it just in case
Try online for both linear uvb and plants, thebiodude.com or joshsfrogs.com is good for plants. The bio dude or lightyourreptiles.com is good for uvb

I know you said you have read “many, many” care sheets but it’s obvious that you either read sheets with bad info in it or you did not comprehend what you were reading.

Now I see why he looks so rough... loose the water bowl now, especially if it is near his bathroom and you have loose feeders in the viv. Water bowls are biological time bombs. They gather dead feeders and fecal matter, this is a perfect breeding ground for lethal bacteria. We see a Cham killed by water bowls once every month or two here. I know you said you have a way for the feeders to escape the water bowl but there will inevitably still be some deaths.

I also know know what happened to his spine, it was burned off. Can you post pics of each different way you are taking temp readings?

Chams do not sense/feel heat the same way we do. Adult male veilds should have a basking spot of no more than 95f. Yours appears to be 100f several inches below the screen, and I’m sure it is several degrees higher at the very top. You have to fix this now. Either put in a lower wattage bulb or rails the one you have up off of the screen until you get into the proper range.

Study this sheet until you understand it, your chams life depends on it. https://www.chameleonforums.com/care/caresheets/veiled/

I know you said you have read “many, many” care sheets but it’s obvious that you either read sheets with bad info in it or you did not comprehend what you were reading.

Now I see why he looks so rough... loose the water bowl now, especially if it is near his bathroom and you have loose feeders in the viv. Water bowls are biological time bombs. They gather dead feeders and fecal matter, this is a perfect breeding ground for lethal bacteria. We see a Cham killed by water bowls once every month or two here. I know you said you have a way for the feeders to escape the water bowl but there will inevitably still be some deaths.

I also know know what happened to his spine, it was burned off. Can you post pics of each different way you are taking temp readings?

Chams do not sense/feel heat the same way we do. Adult male veilds should have a basking spot of no more than 95f. Yours appears to be 100f several inches below the screen, and I’m sure it is several degrees higher at the very top. You have to fix this now. Either put in a lower wattage bulb or rails the one you have up off of the screen until you get into the proper range.

Study this sheet until you understand it, your chams life depends on it. https://www.chameleonforums.com/care/caresheets/veiled/
i was given this chameleon less than a week ago and his situation was worse than it is now, i’m working on fixing it, i will post pics of what i use to read temperature when i get home, as well as taking out the water bowl
i’m currently looking online to get him a linear uvb bulb and a better heating light with lower wattage, as both of the ones i was given are not sufficient

No need to spend extra money on special “basking” bulbs. A 75w home incandescent bulb will do just fine. Put that extra money towards your UVB!
sounds good hopefully i’ll be able to make it to the stores today to grab that bulb, still have to find a good uvb setup though

Back
Top Bottom