struggling with lighting

xxaprilrose

Established Member
I have tried every possible way of lifting the lights (plant light and basking light) off the cage but it just will not work with the type of ceiling I have (drop tile, doesnt hold anything).. My question is, can I buy those lighting crates from home depot and put that under the lights to raise it off or will the plastic obstruct too much, or possibly melt? This is the only thing I can come up with. Ive bought so many lights at this point and it just will not work and no clamps will fit. I attached a pic of what im talking about
Pic-W_EGG.375X2X4_media-1.jpg

B3DA5CD0-C7FE-4CD2-8D6B-A63133A0A135.jpeg

Here’s the light setup I have for my Chams. A light clip you can get at a petstore or online for my UVA, my UVB is raised up by two pieces of styrofoam. Hope this helps!

View attachment 308024
Here’s the light setup I have for my Chams. A light clip you can get at a petstore or online for my UVA, my UVB is raised up by two pieces of styrofoam. Hope this helps!
unfortunately the clip idea isnt working for me. i went out and bought shelves to try it but no luck. My issue is theres only about 10 inches from the top of my enclosure to the ceiling. The smallest lights i could find were about 7 inches and then i tried to put the clamp on it and have it got off the shelf but there was no way it would work with it tilted and only have 3 inches of room. The only way a light will fit is directly above and flat :( The UVB bulb is easier because its the length of the cage so i am just going to put some insulation strips on both sides and it will be raised about 2 inches off the cage without any issues

unfortunately the clip idea isnt working for me. i went out and bought shelves to try it but no luck. My issue is theres only about 10 inches from the top of my enclosure to the ceiling. The smallest lights i could find were about 7 inches and then i tried to put the clamp on it and have it got off the shelf but there was no way it would work with it tilted and only have 3 inches of room. The only way a light will fit is directly above and flat :( The UVB bulb is easier because its the length of the cage so i am just going to put some insulation strips on both sides and it will be raised about 2 inches off the cage without any issues
Ah darn. Maybe the plastic would work. Just make sure it’s heat resistant and won’t melt.

Ah darn. Maybe the plastic would work. Just make sure it’s heat resistant and won’t melt.
Ok I’ll def check that! This is my setup for reference. He’s sleeping so I had to be super
8F631F00-42DE-4D3D-88DD-039FDF72AAF9.jpeg
54371EDD-2183-480E-A223-74BA3C298ADA.jpeg
66EE268B-ADBD-4214-9EB1-5214F6F987D9.jpeg
quick. And don’t mind the mess I’m still trying to figure out where to store my bugs 😂

This may sound dumb and it certainly isn’t a pretty solution, but I used disposable metal pie or cake pans when I needed to raise my basking lights. I cut a whole just smaller than the dome and sat it on top. The aluminum of the pan didn’t transfer heat very well. If you try a larger square or rectangular pan, you could bend it to raise it even higher. I’d be cautious about the flammability of your ceiling tiles too. Again, not pretty but aluminum foil on the tiles directly above the lights will help dissipate excess heat.

Here is your solution 🤞🏼
100 Pack Zip Tie Mount With Cable Ties,Self Adhesive-backed Mounts For Wire Holder, Black Cable Management Clips Wall Anchors https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07Z79LHJ...abc_RVRE15PAB1VZMYG15K9N?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1
Maybe more then you need but it’s what you need 😆 attach it to the ceiling wrap the zip tie around the wire and through the mount and done ✅
It does say not to use for heavy objects or in high temperatures, so probably not this, but great idea! Something like this will probably work!

It does say not to use for heavy objects or in high temperatures, so probably not this, but great idea! Something like this will probably work!
Lamps are at most 1 pound with light did not see anything of the sort about do not use in high temperatures. Also most of the heat is being projected downwards into the cage. Also it dose say that they can be used outside to mount lights. And there is a review video that shows over 20 pounds of pull force is being applied and still holding strong.

I'd be concerned that the egg crate might block the light and/or get too hot.
My lights are supported by 1x2s that run the width of the enclosure. This transfers the weight to the frame instead of on the mesh, and is only 3/4" above the mesh.

For a basking light, have you tied a clamp light clamped onto one of those shelves?
1629355771592.png

Can you get one of these type lamp hangers, they use self tapping screws to attach to the frame of cage?
Is it a suspended ceiling? If so hom much room is above the tiles.
Screenshot_20210819-100009.png

Lamps are at most 1 pound with light did not see anything of the sort about do not use in high temperatures. Also most of the heat is being projected downwards into the cage. Also it dose say that they can be used outside to mount lights. And there is a review video that shows over 20 pounds of pull force is being applied and still holding strong.
It said indoor use only and keep away from high temps in the description and on the specs, and with the ceiling so close to the lights, it can get pretty hot there depending on the wattage.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210819-113154.png
    Screenshot_20210819-113154.png
    313.3 KB · Views: 60
  • Screenshot_20210819-113202.png
    Screenshot_20210819-113202.png
    207.2 KB · Views: 65
Back
Top Bottom