Stressful Force Feeding

Herocleasin

So, as some of you may know, I had to go to vet for problems relating to Archie's eating. Anyways, they prescribed medication for Archie's eating, which I have to force feed him. I understand he has to be fed like this, but I really hate it. I'm hear to ask, does feeding him like this have any long lasting effects on his trust for me? When I first force fed him, by placing my fingers behind his mandibles and lightly pressing, he did what he was supposed to, but I felt so terrible. It felt like all of his trust for me instantly drained away as I was doing this. I'm here to ask any of you that have experience with this, does he ever learn to cope with this method of force feeding, will he ever see me the same again?

All chameleons are different. I have had to give oral meds when my Cham was 3 months old. He did not like me before the meds and it was much worse after. BUT...I did not handle him after for a couple of weeks. I just fed him misted and checked up on him. I have only had him since April so we had a rough start. Now that he is a little older he has calmed down. But I do not force him to try to like me. I am ok with just looking at him. Don’t feel down just give him time and space. :)

So, as some of you may know, I had to go to vet for problems relating to Archie's eating. Anyways, they prescribed medication for Archie's eating, which I have to force feed him. I understand he has to be fed like this, but I really hate it. I'm hear to ask, does feeding him like this have any long lasting effects on his trust for me? When I first force fed him, by placing my fingers behind his mandibles and lightly pressing, he did what he was supposed to, but I felt so terrible. It felt like all of his trust for me instantly drained away as I was doing this. I'm here to ask any of you that have experience with this, does he ever learn to cope with this method of force feeding, will he ever see me the same again?

I have had to syringe feed, and it is definitely a challenge. The most important aspect of trust I have with Terry is I never press. I was gentle and I only had that control once I got the right syringe. If you get a syringe like the one at this link you can gently nudge it in beside the lip and jaw. I haven’t found any other ones that aren’t a struggle.
I noticed if I mix a liquid he really likes (repashy grub pie mostly water or carnivore care ), I could give him just a drop or two under the lip and he would let me move the syringe to his throat. Also if I gave him a few drops he would lick his chops and swallow. In that moment if I had a cricket ready I could slip it in while he was licking his chops. I never have to press or pull, I just wiggle the syringe under his lip, give him a tad, and he cooperates.
Terry has started catching and eating more on his own now, but when I do need to feed him he is way more at ease.
It just took time. As you’re more experienced and can be really in control and gentle it will make a difference. Also having food he likes more makes a difference. It’s comparable to the difference for us between getting blood drawn by an experienced vs. inexperienced nurse.

Really to be worried about him trusting you or not should not be your concern in the first place. It’s either you give him what was prescribed to him and he lives or you don’t and he will perish. If your looking for a for a animal that is trusting then by all means get a dog or something with feelings towards their care takers. Sorry if it harsh but it’s the reality so just do what you gotta do first. Then if he comes around afterwards then great but if not then that’s great too. Just know you did it for his well being.

So, as some have seen my daisy has been ill for a few days now and I’ve been syringe feeding and watering her...
What I have found works for us, is holding one of her worms in front of her, this has her opening her mouth with just a little hiss...and I get the syringe tip in...as she lets go, she gets the worm and her snack.
It’s not her favorite...but as someone above said, I’d rather that she be cranky than dead.
But the worm fake out has been working for us.
Good luck!

Im sorry you have to go through this. As long as every other part of its interactions are positive with you it shouldnt be a long term hatred lol. But regardless Id handle him as little as possible. But still make your presence known. Cleaning out his cage, being near him but not looking at him. Same basic taming down methods you should be doing anyway but just keep it up, eventually you wont have to force feed him and everything will work its way back into him trusting you. We as the "need to show compassion" species that we are, for some reason feel like we need to handle and touch our animals more to let them know we still love them. With Chams leaving them alone is better. Hope this gets becomes easier and less stressful for both you! :(

Back
Top Bottom