stressed chameleon?

oddball_

hi!!! i’m new here and i’m worried about my chameleon. i realized that his color has been staying a darker shade ever sense i moved him into his new cage. i put some photos of my cage and his colors. one you can see he is sleeping and the other light green ones is when i took him out of his cage and let him roam around and when i first put him in his cage. the cage is a 4x2x2 foot, has 50-60% in humidity. basking spot is 90-100 while the normal temperature in the cage is 80-70. he always hangs out at the top so i don’t think he could be cold. he’s almost 2 years old and these color changes have happened in less than a day. can anyone please help? i would love to give more information if needed <3

Attachments

• 4BC6FF91-3B8F-48DA-BFA1-803E181E6FAC.jpeg
    4BC6FF91-3B8F-48DA-BFA1-803E181E6FAC.jpeg
    213.9 KB · Views: 149
  • BD59FB29-730F-46E0-984F-D827AA2E9ACA.jpeg
    BD59FB29-730F-46E0-984F-D827AA2E9ACA.jpeg
    233.4 KB · Views: 137
  • 045B7D8F-408E-4BE4-B48C-5A1F98F69AD9.jpeg
    045B7D8F-408E-4BE4-B48C-5A1F98F69AD9.jpeg
    319.9 KB · Views: 147
  • 77F8A61F-0788-447A-A96A-E52F0E70718A.jpeg
    77F8A61F-0788-447A-A96A-E52F0E70718A.jpeg
    269.1 KB · Views: 154
  • 82447A0A-76B4-4783-812D-AD137BD22348.jpeg
    82447A0A-76B4-4783-812D-AD137BD22348.jpeg
    253.7 KB · Views: 139
  • D553BE1D-16FE-437B-9B50-3CBA3727DE59.jpeg
    D553BE1D-16FE-437B-9B50-3CBA3727DE59.jpeg
    244.8 KB · Views: 158
  • 72C2F38A-4D55-4904-B493-C478833676DA.png
    72C2F38A-4D55-4904-B493-C478833676DA.png
    897.9 KB · Views: 140
  • 48983D93-553D-48EC-A637-69BE40997F3C.png
    48983D93-553D-48EC-A637-69BE40997F3C.png
    582.1 KB · Views: 136
  • 3DDB53DC-10F3-4186-AE31-951160CE6CA5.jpeg
    3DDB53DC-10F3-4186-AE31-951160CE6CA5.jpeg
    213.3 KB · Views: 133
Could you please fill out this forms so the great people on here could better assist you in finding what's wrong with your chameleon.

Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
  • Location - Where are you geographically located?

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.

--------------

Please Note:
  1. The more details you provide the better and more accurate help you will receive.
  2. Photos can be very helpful

I'm sorry, but he looks emaciated and unhealthy to me—possibly but not sure—dehydrated.

Right off, I can see some husbandry issues.
  • The enclosure is too close to the floor. Chameleons feel most secure when their basking site is at/above our eye-level.
  • He should have a linear UVB—preferably T5HO—either Reptisun 5.0 or Arcadia 6%—running full width of the enclosure.
  • Those artificial plants should be replaced by live plants, particularly since he's a veiled chameleon.
  • The basking temperatures are too high; current thinking is around 85F-ish.
  • In the last pic his eye is closed. Eyes should not be closed unless sleeping, which shouldn't be during daytime. Could be another indication of a health issue.

There is more, but should probably wait until you've had a chance to fill out the questionnaire.

JMO, but I would also take this guy to a herp vet ASAP.
https://arav.site-ym.com/search/custom.asp?id=3661

hi!!! i’m new here and i’m worried about my chameleon. i realized that his color has been staying a darker shade ever sense i moved him into his new cage. i put some photos of my cage and his colors. one you can see he is sleeping and the other light green ones is when i took him out of his cage and let him roam around and when i first put him in his cage. the cage is a 4x2x2 foot, has 50-60% in humidity. basking spot is 90-100 while the normal temperature in the cage is 80-70. he always hangs out at the top so i don’t think he could be cold. he’s almost 2 years old and these color changes have happened in less than a day. can anyone please help? i would love to give more information if needed <3
Welcome on here! He could be getting used to the cage. Sadly, there are a few changes that need to be made, though. Since he is a veiled chameleon, he needs live veiled-tested plants only in his cage (properly cleaned off beforehand, repotted in organic soil without chemical fertilizers, and have rocks too big for him to eat covering the soil in the pots), no fake plants or fake vines with leaves on them at all, as it’s an impaction risk. The reptile hammocks and Exo Terra vines also need to be taken out ASAP (and the Exo Terra vines replaced with safe ones), as they can cause health issues. If the substrate isn’t bioactive, it needs to be taken out, as well. He does need more branches (of multiple species and diameters, just none from toxic or sap-producing trees) and vines (preferably all live or dead live ones, but Fluker’s fake ones can work, just no moss, Exo Terra, or fake vines with leaves on them), too. Is the skull in the bottom one of those reptile foggers, and is that his feeding cup in the bottom, as well? Sorry for all of the commentating and questions, just a few more things! He needs a different type of UVB bulb ASAP, too. It needs to be a T5 High Output linear light fixture (at least as long as the length of his cage, so 2’ long minimum) with either an Arcadia 6% (replace yearly) or Zoo Med ReptiSun 5.0 (replace every 6-9 months/1 year) linear T5 HO UVB bulb of the same size. It should be placed to where the bulb is 8-9” away from the basking branch. His humidity levels are too high, as well. They should be 30-50% during the day, preferably on the lower end of that range, and can go up to 100% at night if the night temps are at or below 65*F. His basking temp (which should be measured with a digital thermometer with a probe, with the probe placed where the top of his back is when he’s on his basking branch) should be between 80-85*F, most keep their males 80-82/83*F. Sorry, I know that’s a lot of info, let us know if you need more explanations or help or anything!

Last edited:
That’s a little to hot try to keep it between 70-80 and take that hamack/ rope out their claws can get stuck and pull out and the claws don’t grow back

That’s a little to hot try to keep it between 70-80 and take that hamack/ rope out their claws can get stuck and pull out and the claws don’t grow back
70 is too cold for a basking spot. 80-85 max for a Male Veiled. 78-80max for a female Veiled.

70 is too cold for a basking spot. 80-85 max for a Male Veiled. 78-80max for a female Veiled.
Do you mean the whole area or the basking bc I thought (may be wrong) the whole area not the basking should be 70-80 or atleast that’s what Neptune the chameleon said.

Do you mean the whole area or the basking bc I thought (may be wrong) the whole area not the basking should be 70-80 or atleast that’s what Neptune the chameleon said.
80 is still high for an ambient temp. Looking for 70-78max for an ambient. They need to be able to get out of the heat if they want to. If you keep a cage at 80 and basking at 85 that is not much of a cool down for them. I would read through everything on this site to learn correct husbandry https://chameleonacademy.com/

• Your Chameleon - he is a veild chameleon and has been with me for almost 2 years
  • Handling - at least once a week
  • Feeding - i feed him crickets every other day (12) and i feed the crickets the orange cubes
  • Supplements - i use Zoo Med Reptivite Reptile Vitamins with d3 every sunday and Zoo Med Repti Calcium without D3 Reptile Supplement,
  • Watering - i use a 12 hour self mister
  • Fecal Description - he has not been tested for parasites but is poop is yellow and white with it being a long brown for the other
  • History - nothing

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Zoo Med ReptiBreeze Open Air Screen Cage, Extra Large, 24 x 24 x 48-Inches screen cage
  • Lighting - Zoo Med ReptiSun 10.0 Mini Compact Fluorescent Bulb, 13 Watt, Zoo Med Repti Basking Spot Lamp - 100 Watt, Zilla Incandescent Day White Light Bulb For Reptiles 100 Watt
  • Temperature - 70-100 (100 is the basking place but it is mostly 80-90)
  • Humidity - 50-60
  • Plants - two Clematis
  • Placement -the left side of my room in a corner right beside my closet and dresser
  • Location - Yemen and Saudi Arabia

Current Problem - seems stressed and not his usual color

Last edited:
Could you please fill out this forms so the great people on here could better assist you in finding what's wrong with your chameleon.

Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
  • Location - Where are you geographically located?

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.

--------------

Please Note:
  1. The more details you provide the better and more accurate help you will receive.
  2. Photos can be very helpful
  • Your Chameleon - he is a veild chameleon and has been with me for almost 2 years
  • Handling - at least once a week
  • Feeding - i feed him crickets every other day (12) and i feed the crickets the orange cubes
  • Supplements - i use Zoo Med Reptivite Reptile Vitamins with d3 every sunday and Zoo Med Repti Calcium without D3 Reptile Supplement,
  • Watering - i use a 12 hour self mister
  • Fecal Description - he has not been tested for parasites but is poop is yellow and white with it being a long brown for the other
  • History - nothing

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Zoo Med ReptiBreeze Open Air Screen Cage, Extra Large, 24 x 24 x 48-Inches screen cage
  • Lighting - Zoo Med ReptiSun 10.0 Mini Compact Fluorescent Bulb, 13 Watt, Zoo Med Repti Basking Spot Lamp - 100 Watt, Zilla Incandescent Day White Light Bulb For Reptiles 100 Watt
  • Temperature - 70-100 (100 is the basking place but it is mostly 80-90)
  • Humidity - 50-60
  • Plants - two Clematis
  • Placement -the left side of my room in a corner right beside my closet and dresser
  • Location - Yemen and Saudi Arabia

I'm sorry, but he looks emaciated and unhealthy to me—possibly but not sure—dehydrated.

Right off, I can see some husbandry issues.
  • The enclosure is too close to the floor. Chameleons feel most secure when their basking site is at/above our eye-level.
  • He should have a linear UVB—preferably T5HO—either Reptisun 5.0 or Arcadia 6%—running full width of the enclosure.
  • Those artificial plants should be replaced by live plants, particularly since he's a veiled chameleon.
  • The basking temperatures are too high; current thinking is around 85F-ish.
  • In the last pic his eye is closed. Eyes should not be closed unless sleeping, which shouldn't be during daytime. Could be another indication of a health issue.

There is more, but should probably wait until you've had a chance to fill out the questionnaire.

JMO, but I would also take this guy to a herp vet ASAP.
https://arav.site-ym.com/search/custom.asp?id=3661
in the last photo he is sleeping

Try gut loading your crickets with greens and maybe some carrots and apple instead of the orange cubes. They aren’t good for feeding to your crickets. You also need to get a T5HO high output either reptisun 5.0 or Arcadia 6 % linear uvb bulb at least the width of your enclosure to give him proper uvb light. I made the same mistake with the compact uvb bulbs and found out from the friendly people here that these bulbs don’t give enough uvb and it only penetrated about 2 inches into the enclosure! Make sure your basking temp is only 80 to 85 degrees. hotter than that can burn your Cham. The humidity needs to be higher at night but I’ll let someone more knowledgeable than I talk about that. You may want to get a fecal done to see if he has parasites since he’s so thin. Good luck with him. I think he will be beautiful if you can make these changes for him.

Hello, again! My feedback and any questions will be in red. I've attached great links and charts at the end, too:
  • Handling - at least once a week When you do this, does he go outside, get a treat, or go to a free-range set-up or something?
  • Feeding - i feed him crickets every other day (12) and i feed the crickets the orange cubes That is too much food for his age, he should be getting around 3 crickets three times a week, 2 if he starts to get chunky. The Fluker's Orange Cubes aren't a great gutload, like said above. I've attached a great gutload chart below, use as many ingredients as possible! The more variety, the better, in different types of feeders, too! I also posted a feeder chart if you want to expand his feeder variety, as well!
  • Supplements - i use Zoo Med Reptivite Reptile Vitamins with d3 every sunday and Zoo Med Repti Calcium without D3 Reptile Supplement, You should be using the Zoo Med ReptiCalcium Without D3 on every feeding, except for once every two weeks, when you'll use the Zoo Med Reptivite With D3.
  • Watering - i use a 12 hour self mister How long is each misting session and when does the mister go off?
  • Fecal Description - he has not been tested for parasites but is poop is yellow and white with it being a long brown for the other Having an experienced chameleon vet check his fecal is recommended for peace of mind to make sure there aren't any parasites or anything.
  • History - nothing

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Zoo Med ReptiBreeze Open Air Screen Cage, Extra Large, 24 x 24 x 48-Inches screen cage As I said above, the cage does need work, with real plants and more branches and vines, along with stuff needing to be removed and/or replaced, as well. Is the substrate bioactive? I've attached two great cage set-up links below for some inspiration!
  • Lighting - Zoo Med ReptiSun 10.0 Mini Compact Fluorescent Bulb, 13 Watt, Zoo Med Repti Basking Spot Lamp - 100 Watt, Zilla Incandescent Day White Light Bulb For Reptiles 100 Watt He does need a T5HO linear fixture with either an Arcadia 6% or Zoo Med ReptiSun 5.0 linear UVB bulb of the matching size as I said above, too. How far away is his basking bulb from his basking branch?
  • Temperature - 70-100 (100 is the basking place but it is mostly 80-90) How do you measure your temps? His basking spot needs to be measured with a digital thermometer with a probe, with the probe placed where the top of his back is when he's on his basking branch. It should measure between 80-85*F there, preferably 80-82/83*F. What are your night temps?
  • Humidity - 50-60 How do you measure the humidity levels? They should be 30-50% during the day. At night, if the temps are at or below 65*F, the humidity levels can go up to 100%.
  • Plants - two Clematis He does need all veiled-tested live plants only. I already posted a link for the top plant list above, but I attached an image of part of that list below, too.
  • Placement -the left side of my room in a corner right beside my closet and dresser Is his cage on the ground?
  • Location - Yemen and Saudi Arabia Wow, so you live right in their natural range, awesome!
Here's the links and images!

Attachments

• chameleon-food.jpg
    chameleon-food.jpg
    192.3 KB · Views: 79
  • chameleon-gutload 2.jpg
    chameleon-gutload 2.jpg
    188 KB · Views: 79
  • Cham. Academy Plant List.jpeg
    Cham. Academy Plant List.jpeg
    254.8 KB · Views: 80
Hello, again! My feedback and any questions will be in red. I've attached great links and charts at the end, too:
  • Handling - at least once a week When you do this, does he go outside, get a treat, or go to a free-range set-up or something?
  • Feeding - i feed him crickets every other day (12) and i feed the crickets the orange cubes That is too much food for his age, he should be getting around 3 crickets three times a week, 2 if he starts to get chunky. The Fluker's Orange Cubes aren't a great gutload, like said above. I've attached a great gutload chart below, use as many ingredients as possible! The more variety, the better, in different types of feeders, too! I also posted a feeder chart if you want to expand his feeder variety, as well!
  • Supplements - i use Zoo Med Reptivite Reptile Vitamins with d3 every sunday and Zoo Med Repti Calcium without D3 Reptile Supplement, You should be using the Zoo Med ReptiCalcium Without D3 on every feeding, except for once every two weeks, when you'll use the Zoo Med Reptivite With D3.
  • Watering - i use a 12 hour self mister How long is each misting session and when does the mister go off?
  • Fecal Description - he has not been tested for parasites but is poop is yellow and white with it being a long brown for the other Having an experienced chameleon vet check his fecal is recommended for peace of mind to make sure there aren't any parasites or anything.
  • History - nothing

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Zoo Med ReptiBreeze Open Air Screen Cage, Extra Large, 24 x 24 x 48-Inches screen cage As I said above, the cage does need work, with real plants and more branches and vines, along with stuff needing to be removed and/or replaced, as well. Is the substrate bioactive? I've attached two great cage set-up links below for some inspiration!
  • Lighting - Zoo Med ReptiSun 10.0 Mini Compact Fluorescent Bulb, 13 Watt, Zoo Med Repti Basking Spot Lamp - 100 Watt, Zilla Incandescent Day White Light Bulb For Reptiles 100 Watt He does need a T5HO linear fixture with either an Arcadia 6% or Zoo Med ReptiSun 5.0 linear UVB bulb of the matching size as I said above, too. How far away is his basking bulb from his basking branch?
  • Temperature - 70-100 (100 is the basking place but it is mostly 80-90) How do you measure your temps? His basking spot needs to be measured with a digital thermometer with a probe, with the probe placed where the top of his back is when he's on his basking branch. It should measure between 80-85*F there, preferably 80-82/83*F. What are your night temps?
  • Humidity - 50-60 How do you measure the humidity levels? They should be 30-50% during the day. At night, if the temps are at or below 65*F, the humidity levels can go up to 100%.
  • Plants - two Clematis He does need all veiled-tested live plants only. I already posted a link for the top plant list above, but I attached an image of part of that list below, too.
  • Placement -the left side of my room in a corner right beside my closet and dresser Is his cage on the ground?
  • Location - Yemen and Saudi Arabia Wow, so you live right in their natural range, awesome!
Here's the links and images!
oh sorry i thought you meant where he was from!! sorry! i’m in Virginia roanoke.

Back
Top Bottom