Stress from seeing another reptile? Or something more?

Galaxy

Chameleon Info:
  • Blue Bar Ambilobe Panther
  • Male
  • 9-10 Months old
  • Owned for 7 months
Handling
  • Only when necessary (medications)
Feeding
  • 3-5 large Silkworms or sometimes 12-15 crickets w/ 1-2 silkworms daily.
  • Using Repashy Bug Burger and a mixture of arugula, butternut squash, carrots, and apple for cricket gutload.
  • Free-range feeding.
Supplements
  • Daily- ExoTerra Calcium
  • Once a week rotation of ReptoCal Calcium+D3 and Reptivite.
Watering
  • Mistking: Every two hours 5-10 minute variations throughout day, 8am-6pm.
Fecal Description
  • Large brown-green, soft from all the silkworms.
  • White urates.
  • Never tested for parasites.
History
  • Purchased from Panther Company (Jupiter clutch).
Cage Type
  • ReptiBreeze Open Air Screen Cage, Large, 24 x 24 x 48-Inches
Lighting
  • UVB- 24" HO T5 Double Bulb fixture with Arcadia 6% and 6.5k Day-light Bulbs
  • Basking- Philips 53-watt EcoVantage Flood Light Light Bulb
  • Lighting from 8am-8pm
Temperature
  • Basking spot (8"below light) is at 91 with a gradient into 70 (ambient room temp).
Humidity
  • Humidity without misting is at about 40% or more. Misting kicks it anywhere from 60-80 or up to 100% depending on the day. Using a crappy dial hygrometer though, so accuracy is questionable.
Plants
  • Schefflera Arbicola and three passion vines. Fake vines winding around treated apple branches and bendy vines for pathways to different elevations and hiding spots.
Placement
  • Cage is located in living room (low traffic minus every other weekend or so).
  • Closest air vent is about 25 ft away. Cage sits on 32" high table. He gets upset when my husband is near since he's about 6'2" and taller than the cage.
Current Problem
So, today our blue tongue skink decided to chill out in a potted plant near the windows for about an hour. This was at ground level about five or six feet from Osiris' cage.
I noticed Osiris was extremely focused on the intruder, colors bright (but not flared up completely) while he kept his nose pointed towards the skink a majority of the time.

After playtime was over for the skink, I collected him to put away, and then noticed that Osiris' colors seemed "off". Lighter than normal, not his pj colors, just sort of faded looking.
Then he seemed almost 'shrunken' a bit later, and was sitting in his basking spot with his eyes closed.
Alarmed, I opened the cage to inspect him, he opened his eyes to look at me, wobbled on his branch, but otherwise didn't move nor really respond (outside of watching me) to my touching him gently (which is HIGHLY irregular for this grump).
I gave him a good hand misting and covered his cage to give him some privacy, but just wondering if it's just a case of too much stress or if there's anything else that might be amiss.

He's recently been treated for a URI, but is in great health otherwise.

I can see why that would be alarming. However, I think it is probably just stress. Staying fired up that long probably wore him down, and closing his eyes under his basking lamp is not a completely uncommon thing to do. Keep a close eye on him, and if problems continue, make another post or reply to this one. The wobbling was probably not unsteadiness, it was more likely him leaf-walking. Chameleons will shake like that to seem like a leaf. My boy does it when hunting, and whenever he feels like I'm being annoying. He may have been going for a camouflage defense, hoping you would think he was a leaf, and that's why he didn't react. Again, just keep an eye on things.

Thanks for the reply.
After giving him a few hours to just kind of chill out in private he seems to have returned to his feisty self.
Since he never seemed to react to the skink before, I wasn't so concerned about their long-distance 'interactions'. But I think now I'm going to have to cover that side of the enclosure when his lizard-neighbor wants some window time for himself. :rolleyes:

Back
Top Bottom