Strawberry Ensure shakes?

robbh3

My 8 month old veiled has gone on a hunger strike for the past month. i took him to the vet and nothing seems to be wrong. my vet recommended to feed him strawberry Ensure shakes. at first he didn't really take to the syringe but after only a week he seems ready to guzzle down the fluid. i was just curious if anyone else has ever heard of doing this. thanks

^ ^ ^

The better question is why the hunger strike, and do not use ensure shakes, thats actual insanity.

What do you feed him? When he was eating?

That's new to me. I have heard of carnivore care and "bug Juice"
Ingredients:
Water, Corn Maltodextrin, Sugar, Blend of Vegetable Oils (Canola, Corn), Milk Protein Concentrate, Soy Protein Isolate, Cocoa Powder (Processed with Alkali). Less than 0.5% of: Vitamins & Minerals (Potassium Citrate, Sodium Citrate, Calcium Carbonate, Magnesium Phosphate, Choline Chloride, Potassium Chloride, Ascorbic Acid, Ferrous Sulfate, dl-Alpha-Tocopheryl Acetate, Zinc Sulfate, Niacinamide, Calcium Pantothenate, Manganese Sulfate, Calcium Phosphate, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Thiamine Hydrochloride, Copper Sulfate, Riboflavin, Vitamin A Palmitate, Folic Acid, Chromium Chloride, Potassium Iodide, Sodium Selenate, Sodium Molybdate, Phylloquinone, Biotin, Vitamin D3, Vitamin B12), Nonfat Milk, Soy Lecithin, Natural & Artificial Flavor, Cellulose Gel, Cellulose Gum, Carrageenan, and Salt.
Contains milk and soy ingredients.
I would get a second opinion.

thank you all for your replies. he is a reptile vet, and i did bring in a fecal, which was negative for anything. No blood work yet. He has a veiled that has an amputated tongue and eats ensure several times a week. i had never heard of this either. it does sound a bit insane now that i really think of it. i think i will get a second opinion and maybe switch vets. i will look into the "bug juice" and like food supplements. thanks again

thank you all for your replies. he is a reptile vet, and i did bring in a fecal, which was negative for anything. No blood work yet. He has a veiled that has an amputated tongue and eats ensure several times a week. i had never heard of this either. it does sound a bit insane now that i really think of it. i think i will get a second opinion and maybe switch vets. i will look into the "bug juice" and like food supplements. thanks again
Getting a second opinion is always a good idea. Personally i have never heard of this and Ensure is packed full of vitmains and minerals in a ratio that is healthy for humans not chameleons. Blended insects sounds far more natural and safe IMO.

^ ^ ^

The better question is why the hunger strike, and do not use ensure shakes, thats actual insanity.

What do you feed him? When he was eating?
thanks for responding. he has been eating crickets, super worms, and the occasional wax worm(s). I noticed he stopped eating basically when i put him into his new and much larger enclosure. do you think this has something to do with this strike?

thanks for responding. he has been eating crickets, super worms, and the occasional wax worm(s). I noticed he stopped eating basically when i put him into his new and much larger enclosure. do you think this has something to do with this strike?

Thats very possible, they will refuse to eat for a few days, a week when in a new enclosure.

Try suckering him into eating with different feeders, than normal.

I have been using a roasted ground cricket product for body builders mixed with a little calcium (to correct the calcium phosphorus ratio) and bee pollen (couldn't hurt) for about a month now on a female that stopped eating in December. It has no other ingredients. I started her on Carnivore Care but didn't want all the D3 & A vitamins since she is montane. She is having reproductive problems and I'm trying to keep her going while her ovaries sort themselves out. She is too small to spay so this is her best hope. She seems to be improving and is holding her weight. We'll see if it works.

thanks for the advice. someone else recommended Carnivore Care, but it good to know a much more simple recipe. I hope your girl gets better soon! im sure she's lovely!

Back
Top Bottom