Strange chameleon species (chamaeleo unicornis)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Right right, i was just saying that because it doesnt sound right to say "the one horned form of the owen's chameleon" ;)

so there is not different names for the two? Seems like they differ enough to warrant separate names.(more distinguished than 3 horned version and 1 horened version) Are they all found in the same type of enviroment?(I think someone said that the first two pics are of a kind that lives much higher in the trees) Is there anymore pictures of the 3-horned animal?

Technically, no, there is no true name difference between the one-horned vs three-horned version of this species. The truth of the matter is, 1 vs. 3 horns is not enough to warrant separate names. There are many species, not just in chameleons, that have similar variations within the same species. As a couple examples, Ch. (T.) quadricornis can have 2, 4 or 6 horns (Ch. (T.) q. quadricornis have 2 or 4 and Ch. (T.) q. gracilior can have up to 6); female Ch. (T.) jacksonii of each subspecies can have different numbers of horns (0, 1 or 3 horns) and there are other examples. Panther chameleons can have incredible color variations and look quite different but they are all panther chameleons. It may not seem logical to you but these are currently considered the same species, Chamaeleo (Trioceros) oweni.

Both the one-horned and three-horned Owen's Chameleon have very long tails and to the best of my knowledge do not live in different habitat types. You can see more pics of the typical three-horned Owen's Chameleons here:

http://adcham.com/html/taxonomy/species/choweni.html
https://www.chameleonforums.com/att...479561-pics-trip-arusha-tanzania-dscf1192.jpg

Chris

I appreciate having Chris on the forum, although I have to re-read everything he says to understand it! Helps keep me humble!:eek:

They get imported very rarely...in a survey from the 1980's (or 90's) only like 7 have been imported, and apparently they dont do well in captivity...the 3 horned owenii though gets imported rarely, and are like quads or sailfins (they had some at Glades Herp), and the one horned variety actually has a different location then the 3 horned, the one i posted was found in the Congo

I've heard from people that had owen's. Nervous, mean little suckers, supposedly. NEat looking, but you never see them - they hate you.

Get deremensis instead. Cooler looking (my opinion), bigger, and - usually - as friendly as a melleri.

Yes, deremensis are gorgeous ! Very nice chams and as calm as parsonii, they are very cool and chilled and they would never bite you

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom