Stores shame shoplifters

jojackson

SUSPECTED shoplifters are being outed by stores posting their mug shots on "walls of shame".
Shop owners who find they have been robbed are sifting back through CCTV footage to identify the thieves and then hanging their images in their windows.

Read more
http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/ne...on-their-windows/story-e6freuy9-1226036824447

077863-shoplifters.jpg

078340-shoppers.jpg

Great Idea!

In the US even if you have them on tape if they leave the store with the merchandise you can't prosecute them. But I wonder if putting up pictures would be legal. What a great idea!!!

They do this at the petstore near us. Its pretty crazy what people get away with. They have a picture of lady cradling a parrot in her arms and just walking out the door! Seems strange that no one caught her but I guess if they were super crowded maybe she could slip by. There was another one with a guy they caught shoplifting fish. He would bring in a huge Big Gulp sized cup and scoop fish into it and then put the lid and straw back on and walk away. I'm always entertained by the wall of shame. lol.

In the US even if you have them on tape if they leave the store with the merchandise you can't prosecute them. But I wonder if putting up pictures would be legal. What a great idea!!!

Its a bit more complicated than that, the laws differ from state to state. Here in PA in order to prosecute you need to physically see or have video of them:
  • looking at the item
  • picking it up
  • hiding it
  • and leaving the store with it (if you catch them before they leave you can't prosecute but you get your merchandise back).
I worked as a retail manager for about 10 years, in those years the company I worked for only prosecuted a few people, we usually stopped the customer before they left the store.

Back
Top Bottom