Still won’t eat ? HELP

Hyperian

Ok my 14 month old panther chameleon male , has not eat anything in 8 days now. :( he’s been vet for a check up she was all happy with him , checked his weight all good checked his mouth all good and also took a stool sample which cane back all clear :-

He’s always been such a goof eater but he’s just not interested in any feeder
Crickets no
Dubai’s no
Loctus no
Waxworms no
Mealworms no
Beetle grub. No

Literally driving me insane :(

He’s very active drinking great and is very strong he wants out his enclosure all the time but we have not. Changed anything within his enclosure

Basking between 80-90 degrees
Humidity between 60-70
He has a 3 in one 100 watt light and also a tube UV 10% light to
Calcuim dust every feed
D3 twice monthly
Vitamin A in his water outake ( BSP drops )

He’s in a tall enclosure plenty to climb and hide

I just don’t get him at the minute :(

Time to break out the big guns. Flies, green banana roaches or hornworms. Flies are my favorite. If they won't eat flies, they probably won't eat. You can get some black soldier fly larvae but they will take time to pupate. Look around for some pollinating flies outside. Typically slower than houseflies.

Time to break out the big guns. Flies, green banana roaches or hornworms. Flies are my favorite. If they won't eat flies, they probably won't eat. You can get some black soldier fly larvae but they will take time to pupate. Look around for some pollinating flies outside. Typically slower than houseflies.
Where can I get some hornworms ? Here in the uk ? And green bannah roaches etc?

Are flies from outside ok?

Here in the US you can find hornworms in some pet stores. Roaches normally have to be ordered online. If you cant find hornworms in pet stores over there I'd check online for websites that sell and ship feeders to your area :)

When my cham went through a hunger strike, the only thing he did eat were the hornworms.

Not sure where to get either in the UK. Here in the US green banana roaches are something you usually order then culture. Horn worms can be found online or in some pet shops. I used flies from outside when I needed to but usually have calciworrms pulsating.

Thanks for your replies , I’ve done some research - & apparently hornworms are illegal in the UK...which is a nightmare for me :( GUTTED!!!!!!!

So hard to find silkworms over here too ,

Thanks for your replies , I’ve done some research - & apparently hornworms are illegal in the UK...which is a nightmare for me :( GUTTED!!!!!!!

So hard to find silkworms over here too ,

What about the roaches? I still haven't ventured down the roach path lol (I don't trust anything that can fly directly to my face without warning :ROFLMAO:) but I hear most chams really love them!

I'm not sure what the veterans will think of this and by all means please correct me if I'm wrong so I can learn too! But my chameleon also LOVES wax worms. He'd eat those too when everything else failed. They are very fatty, of little nutritional value and not recommended for a cham's regular diet. People recommend them more as an occasional "treat". But I used them to dust in his calcium and vitamin powders when he was barely eating. It concerned me that he was going so many days without getting his supplements so at least I got him to take some of that in with a couple of wax worms.

What about the roaches? I still haven't ventured down the roach path lol (I don't trust anything that can fly directly to my face without warning :ROFLMAO:) but I hear most chams really love them!

Yeah I’ve lookec up the bannah roaches which seem to be sold in the UK ( thank god ) lol so may try them but I agree with you they don’t look nice do they? And they have wings and can fly crickets are bad enough :/ :-(

Yea I feed my Cham wax worms occasionally he loves them but can’t even get him to eat them at the minute :(
Which is like you said I put the calcium in with wax worms in his dish but there still there each day when I put fresh ones in I just don’t understand him at the minute vet seems to think he’s all healthy ? I check his mouth every other day to just to check there’s no mucus or anything in his mouth it’s all clear and his stool sample is clear too I really don’t know what else to try when it seems horn worms and silkworms are what breaks there hunger strikes but can’t get them here :(

Xx

Last time my guy went on hunger strike, it was morio worms that did the trick. After that I reduced the size of the locusts which helped get him back onto those. You can definately get morios in the UK and even (dare I say it), Pets at Home usually have them. Gutload and dust as normal.

When chameleons are not well hydrated they can loose their appetite too. Also, try praying mantis! Chameleons find them very attractive. You can also try the larvae form of whasps, pull them out of the wasp nest and let them wiggle in front of the chameleon. And yes being out in the sunshine often helps!

Yeah I’ve lookec up the bannah roaches which seem to be sold in the UK ( thank god ) lol so may try them but I agree with you they don’t look nice do they? And they have wings and can fly crickets are bad enough :/ :-(

Yea I feed my Cham wax worms occasionally he loves them but can’t even get him to eat them at the minute :(
Which is like you said I put the calcium in with wax worms in his dish but there still there each day when I put fresh ones in I just don’t understand him at the minute vet seems to think he’s all healthy ? I check his mouth every other day to just to check there’s no mucus or anything in his mouth it’s all clear and his stool sample is clear too I really don’t know what else to try when it seems horn worms and silkworms are what breaks there hunger strikes but can’t get them here :(

Xx

I’d make sure to give your cham a lot of space just in case. Mine just happened to be stressed when he went on a hunger strike because guests were staying in the house but as soon as they left and the house was more quiet again he started eating.

And about what Jill said, just a few days ago I put my cham in his outside cage for the first time ever and I couldn’t stop talking about how much more active he was. Saw him drinking for the first time in 4 months that I’ve had im and he ate without hessitation from my hand. He literally never hand feeds. Some outside time might do the trick like she said :)

Back
Top Bottom