Still on the hunt for a new camera

Lol.. Dr. Zoidberg still can't stand my phone. I've been working with him quite a bit. I got a darker case and that seems to be helping a tad too. Today he only took about 5 minutes to simmer down. I'm finally starting to be able to get decent pics so I had to post. For just over 3 months he's showing amazing colors. Thanks again Sang @ Komeleons. This little boy is going to make daddy Noki proud. He has our hearts.
Comments and ideas on what camera you guys use would be great! Thanks guys! :)

image.jpg

wow...B. U. T. FULL. stunner for sure. as far as cameras...how much are you willing to spend?

Sang! Ikr?! He surprises me everyday with his colors. Eeek! He makes me wanna squeeze him he so blasted cute. Haha! This was after he decided to chill again. :p
image.jpg

Anywho, I was thinking limit of like $500-$750. I would like an option for a zoom attachment. I really just don't know much about cameras.

wow. he is gorgeous. if you're going to spend that much money, you should get a dslr camera. i know they're big but the difference in photo quality and the different types of pictures is amazing. i know this is a little over budget but this is what i got. the lens is very versatile and you can take a lot of different shots w/ it. i highly recommend it..

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16830120520

wow. he is gorgeous. if you're going to spend that much money, you should get a dslr camera. i know they're big but the difference in photo quality and the different types of pictures is amazing. i know this is a little over budget but this is what i got. the lens is very versatile and you can take a lot of different shots w/ it. i highly recommend it..

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16830120520

Awesome! It looks like it has other good reviews too. Thanks Sang! The phone just isn't cutting it anymore. Lol!

Great looking little guy you've got there! It's cool that he's giving you an interest in photography. I too was having problems taking pictures of my chameleon with my cell phone. I had been using it instead of my other bigger cameras because I thought the size would be less intimidating, but he looks at it like it's the devil! I'm actually able to get pretty close to him with my bigger DSLR and even our other point-and-shoot. I recently purchased a new camera and did lots of research so I have a few recommendations for you:

1. I agree with Rottsko, the Canon T3i is a great camera for the money. It will be a great camera to start with but will let you grow if you become more interested in photography.

2. I also somewhat agree with Michaelk20's recommendation. You can't really go wrong with a Nikon DSLR and you should look into the D3100, D3200, D5100, and D5200 as options. However, these cameras do not have a focus motor built into the body (allowing them to be lighter and cheaper). This means that if you want autofocus capability you must buy lenses that come with a focus motor. This limits your lens options, but is only an issue if you end up really getting into photography.

3. If a DSLR seems intimidating or you worry about the weight/size there is a new DSLR from Canon with similar specs to the T3i (although very slightly lesser in some regards). It is the Canon SL1/100D. It is billed as the smallest and lightest DSLR available today and I think it's a good bet for someone just getting into photography (I think it's a better option than a mirrorless camera). *To make it super small and light you could use Canon's 40mm pancake lens although this would be limiting if it were your only lens.

4. One non-DSLR option that is in your range is the Sony RX100 (and the newer RX100 II). Many reviewers praise this camera as the best point-and-shoot camera available because it offers many manual controls that allow the user to have greater control over their images, similar to a DSLR. It also has automatic options too. However, it's pricey for a point-and-shoot so if you don't have an interest in learning the manual features then I'd skip it.

Hopefully this helps you. I wish you luck and look forward to seeing some great chameleon pictures in the future!

I know its not as popular as a Nikon or canon I use a Panasonic Lumix GH1. I like it because I can shoot 1080p HD video and its what I shoot all my videos in.

The viewing screen also flips out so its convenient if you have to shoot at a weird angle.

I was also able to get an adapter for it to use canon lenses as well. With the stock lens it can be a point and shoot as it has an auto feature. If you want to play with the setting you can put it on manual. If you use the adapter for different lenes you will need to do everything manually

video example

http://vimeo.com/57242903

http://vimeo.com/36452498

Example of a photos

Sweet! Thank you guys SO much for all of the great information. I wish I knew more about cameras. I've used a phone camera for the longest. This is my first chameleon to hate it so much. It's never really seemed to bother any of the others too much. Awesome photos too Dez! Thanks again. :D

These links should get you up to speed on different cameras:
http://reviews.cnet.com/best-compact-cameras/
http://reviews.cnet.com/best-interchangeable-lens-cameras/

I personally use a Canon Rebel XTi for my DSLR - I actually got it from a forum member in the classifieds, when I just need something quick and easy that will shoot great pics (for super cheap - I think I paid $140 a couple years ago) I use my Olympus Stylus-7010, it's a point and shoot 12 megapixel that fits in my pocket & has plenty of features for any level user - it was so easy to use I got one for my 68 yr old mother & she LOVES it.

Good luck with your critters & getting your new camera!!

Looks like everyone has mentioned great options for you. I'd say do your homework and also think about what you really want in a camera: what features are important to you (image quality, manual options, size/weight, video quality, ease of use, etc), how much you will use it and what type of photos you will use it for, and if you want to learn manual features or just stick with automatic features. After you have an idea of what you want, go into a camera shop and try them out in person. Get a feel for the size, weight, how fast the camera auto focus is, the button placement, the menu navigation, the overall feel. This is important because a camera might look good on paper, but it just might not be right for you in person. If you don't like the way the camera feels or handles you will be less likely to use it. Lastly, make sure when you're at the camera shop not to let them up-sell you which they will inevitably want to do. All of the cameras mentioned in this thread are good cameras with great features. You really don't need to go over your budget to be happy with the next camera you buy.

I use a Nikon D7000, it was way more advanced of a camera than I needed but I figured I could grow into it as my photography skills progressed. My daughter has a Nikon D40 that we got off of CL and it has been a great little camera.

As a previous poster mentioned if you get a camera without AF built into the body that will make a difference.

What has been fun for me is finding random lenses on CL that are very affordable to experiment with. Even very old lenses that are compatible with the new bodies take amazing shots!

Great looking little guy you've got there! It's cool that he's giving you an interest in photography.

2. I also somewhat agree with Michaelk20's recommendation. You can't really go wrong with a Nikon DSLR and you should look into the D3100, D3200, D5100, and D5200 as options. However, these cameras do not have a focus motor built into the body (allowing them to be lighter and cheaper). This means that if you want autofocus capability you must buy lenses that come with a focus motor. This limits your lens options, but is only an issue if you end up really getting into photography.

Haha you say that but most of the time he just runs and hides, I'd love a shot of him looking square into the camera but he's not interested:

Sheldon by michael_yo, on Flickr

That's right the downside is the AF motor, I've been looking at new lenses recently for the motorsport i shoot and I'm very restricted on choice.
Saying that though non AF motor bodies are quite popular for the reason of them being so cheap and you can get decent lenses for them.

I currently have a 35mm f1.8, basic 55-200 and the 18-55 kit lens and i get away with that for most situations as i shoot in daytime anyway. Would love a 70-200 f4 but they are rediculous money!

get a used nikon D90 and 18-105mm lens off CL for about 5

it has the AF motor

I like this idea a lot, thats a great camera and you can find tremendous deals out there.

Check out B and H Photo online. You can compare several cameras there even older models. They also have returned and remanufactured cameras with full warranties at ver good prices.

Back
Top Bottom