Still no recovery and getting worse

Ladynyce

Cage Info:

* Cage Type - Screen, Height 32" x 2' x 2'
* Lighting - UBV 150
* Temperature - Day 110 F at baskin spot 85 F in shade, Night 70-75 F
* Humidity - 60-80% heavy misting 3-4 times daily about 5 minutes of misting
* Plants - Mandevilla vine, some plastic plants
* Placement - Where is your cage located? Indoors next to window where he can get natural sunlight as well, the room that he is in is very warm. The sunlight shining on him I thought would just be a bonus (including his UBV light)
* Location -Toronto (Canada)

Chameleon Info:

* Your Chameleon - Veiled Chameleon male. Got him at P.J.s Pet store, unknown age but looks about 4 months (MAYBE)
* Handling - Not to often, but I do take him out abit to put him on the sticks in my livingroom which he seems he loves.
* Feeding - 3-4 crickets a day 3 in the morning and 1 in the evening. I tried silk worms but he was unable to chew it.
* Supplements - Calcium no phosphorous with D3
* Watering - Misting 5-10 minutes at time 3 - 4 times a day.
* Fecal Description - brown, dark green in cage, bright green while in hands.
* History - My cat has knocked the cage over, the second day I bought him trying to get to him. Had a broken tail but has recovered. Vet said he had marks on his skin from being to close to the light (apparently)

Now my cham is falling off branches and not eating at all!!!! I believe there is something wrong wiith his tongue!!!

https://www.chameleonforums.com/care/caresheets/veiled/

Sorry to hear your cham isn't feeling well. First thing I noticed is that his temps. are too high. Above is a link to the Veiled chameleon care sheet. It give really good information on heating, lighting, feeding etc. If he is only around 4 months old he should be eating way more than 4 crickets a day. How often are you dusting his feeders? What are you feeding his feeders? The care sheet has great information on all of these things. Please post pictures if you can and keep us all updated on his progress. Keep asking questions. I am sure someone here with more experience will respond too.

Last edited:
Cage Info:

* Cage Type - Screen, Height 32" x 2' x 2'
* Lighting - UBV 150
* Temperature - Day 110 F at baskin spot 85 F in shade, Night 70-75 F
Temperature:
Baby/juvenile (<9 months): ambient 72-80F (22-26C), basking 85F (29C)
Adult males: ambient 75-80F (23-26C), basking 90-95F (32-35C)
Adult females: ambient 75-80F (23-26C), basking 85F (29C)

* Humidity - 60-80% heavy misting 3-4 times daily about 5 minutes of misting
* Plants - Mandevilla vine, some plastic plants
* Placement - Where is your cage located? Indoors next to window where he can get natural sunlight as well, the room that he is in is very warm. The sunlight shining on him I thought would just be a bonus (including his UBV light)Sunlight coming through a window creates a lot of heat. Glass blocks UVB and turns the light into heat.
* Location -Toronto (Canada)

Chameleon Info:

* Your Chameleon - Veiled Chameleon male. Got him at P.J.s Pet store, unknown age but looks about 4 months (MAYBE)
* Handling - Not to often, but I do take him out abit to put him on the sticks in my livingroom which he seems he loves.
* Feeding - 3-4 crickets a day 3 in the morning and 1 in the evening. I tried silk worms but he was unable to chew it.
Neonates: as many small crickets as they can eat several times a day
Juveniles 3-6 months of age: 10-12 small crickets daily
Juveniles 6-12 months of age: 10-12 medium crickets every other day
Adults over 12 months of age: 7-10 medium-large crickets every other day
Great feeder insects include crickets, silkworms, hornworms, butterworms, dubia roaches and superworms. Waxworms and mealworms are high in fat content and harder to digest so should only be used on occasion. The rule of thumb is to not feed insects that are longer than the width of your chameleon's head.

* Supplements - Calcium no phosphorous with D3
Supplementation:
Calcium and other vitamins are very important to your chameleon's health. Feeder insects should be lightly dusted with powdered supplement before being fed to your chameleon. Many keepers successfully use calcium (without D3 or phosphorus) at nearly every feeding, multivitamin once every 2 weeks, and calcium with D3 once every 2 weeks.

* Watering - Misting 5-10 minutes at time 3 - 4 times a day.
* Fecal Description - brown, dark green in cage, bright green while in hands.
* History - My cat has knocked the cage over, the second day I bought him trying to get to him. Had a broken tail but has recovered. Vet said he had marks on his skin from being to close to the light (apparently)

Now my cham is falling off branches and not eating at all!!!! I believe there is something wrong wiith his tongue!!!

Here is just a few things I copied directly off of the care sheet. (in red)
I hope this helps.

In addition to your temps being high for such a young age, there is also a problem with your supplements. Using calcium with D3 daily will overdose your Cham w D3. You need a plain calcium without D3 for daily use. Most people only use D3 twice a month or less depending on how much natural sun the chameleon gets. You should also be using a multivitamin twice a month as well as gut loading your feeders with greens and veggies.

temps are high
how are you providing water? be specific
sun through windows provides no UVB, just heat
what BRAND of UVB lighting?
what BRAND of supplements? most brands with D3 shouldn't be used daily.
what are you gutloading the crickets with? what other prey choices are you offering? Does he not want to eat more than that?
What do you mean something is wrong with his tongue?

Mandvillas are poisonous. Could he have eaten one or eaten an insect that nibbled on it or somehow licked some sap off it??

https://www.chameleonforums.com/care/caresheets/veiled/

Sorry to hear your cham isn't feeling well. First thing I noticed is that his temps. are too high. Above is a link to the Veiled chameleon care sheet. It give really good information on heating, lighting, feeding etc. If he is only around 4 months old he should be eating way more than 4 crickets a day. How often are you dusting his feeders? What are you feeding his feeders? The care sheet has great information on all of these things. Please post pictures if you can and keep us all updated on his progress. Keep asking questions. I am sure someone here with more experience will respond too.
sorry I shouldve updated my info form, my cham hasnt had no light in 4 weeks due to the fact of the light that damaged his left eye. I was dusting his crickets every other feeling and i just started using multi vit as well.

Here is just a few things I copied directly off of the care sheet. (in red)
I hope this helps.
thank you so much! he is still doing so bad he hasnt ate in 2 weeks how can i get something into him he is all skin and bones and he threw up his water last week...

Mandvillas are poisonous. Could he have eaten one or eaten an insect that nibbled on it or somehow licked some sap off it??
the plants in my cage are not real ... they are all plastic for some reason the real plants die everytime i put them in the cage so i gave up!!! bad news, my cham has stop eating all together he hasnt ate for 2 weeks now, and he has fallen off a branch once that i have witnessed, i have seen him throw up once all the water that he had drank, he has thick saliva around his mouth and he acts as if he cant flick his tougne out to eat anything ... when he sees something move he is interested in it and walks to it and when he is right in front of it he just lies down and closes his eyes ... is there anyway i can get something in to him and can a lack of UVB light cause him to be like this???

Falling off branches and loss of use of tongue are early signs of MBD.

But i guess he didn't make it since there were no updates? RIP little one.:(

Back
Top Bottom