Still A Brown Colour

I have a ambilobe I am holding back to see how he turns out! He is still all brown, black and white lateral line. He is the same size as his siblings with stunning color for age. Late bloomers are often sooooo incredible that I could not let him go! I will try to remember to post a picture of him tomorrow.
Here he is. He is starting to shed. Can't wait to see if he shows more color once he is done!
20181211_083922.jpg

This is one of his male siblings.
20181202_071414.jpg

And yet another male sibling.
20181210_143400.jpg

What "blue light"? The zoomed one? If so I wouldn't stress changing that out right away. There are several people using them with no issues. I don't want to clog your thread with a bunch of stuff unrelated but, for s.n.g's, we all recommend 6500k bulbs for plant bulbs right? Guess what color spectrum they are typically heavy in? Blue ;). The UV spectrum is also on the blue end.

Screenshot_2018-12-11-12-09-36.png

What "blue light"? The zoomed one? If so I wouldn't stress changing that out right away. There are several people using them with no issues. I don't want to clog your thread with a bunch of stuff unrelated but, for s.n.g's, we all recommend 6500k bulbs for plant bulbs right? Guess what color spectrum they are typically heavy in? Blue ;). The UV spectrum is also on the blue end.

View attachment 219246
The red ones are the one to stay away from - right @dshuld !

The red ones are the one to stay away from - right @dshuld !

Yes, those are the ones you want to steer clear of. But, there really is more to the equation then just saying blue bulbs or red bulbs are bad. Here is the spd of natural sun light. The largest natural spikes are on the blue end.

Screenshot_2018-12-11-15-14-49-1.png

Here is the spd of an incandescent bulb.
Screenshot_2018-12-11-15-19-03-1.png

Unfortunately zoo med doesn't publish spd for the daylight basking bulbs. The blue glass is obviously going to add in blue spectrum to the incandescents natural steep climb into the red if their claim of uva is correct. I'm asking the admin of one of my groups if I can share a thread elsewhere but, I can tell you that you may be surprised who is actually using the zoo med blue daylight bulbs and swears by them.

Here he is. He is starting to shed. Can't wait to see if he shows more color once he is done!
View attachment 219243
View attachment 219244
View attachment 219245
View attachment 219243
View attachment 219244
View attachment 219245

Is there a chance we won’t change colour that much or he will at some point. He’s about 8 or 9 months currently ?

You can have some chameleons from the same clutch take longer to grow up. And stay small longer despite for being kept the same way. Size therefore is not a perfect measurement of age.

Okay good to know, well hopefully once the new 24x24x48 screen cage comes in, he’ll love it more and maybe hopefully try to get him to change his colour sooner but probably not ahaha.
Thank you so much though for all your help and info!

I haven't read through ALL the replies... But I can definitely atest to late bloomers. My nosey looked just like yours at 7 months old, and I too doubted his gender, lol. I also think it depends on how accurate the initial age estimate is. My boy started with color on his cheeks around 8 months, but had noticable color for sure by 9 months and didn't get his full gorgeous "plumage" until almost 1 year old :)

I haven't read through ALL the replies... But I can definitely atest to late bloomers. My nosey looked just like yours at 7 months old, and I too doubted his gender, lol. I also think it depends on how accurate the initial age estimate is. My boy started with color on his cheeks around 8 months, but had noticable color for sure by 9 months and didn't get his full gorgeous "plumage" until almost 1 year old :)

Okay good to know! Today after work around his eyes he started to be a dark greenish colour hopefully it’s the start to a beautiful thing! Aha

Just a little update, hes actually starting to change colour finally! It makes me so happy to see him slowly turning colours and I got my 24x24x48 tank with some more live plants!

Thank you all for your amazing help!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    265.1 KB · Views: 94
I need to get more branches and vines and such but here it is! Anyone have any suggestions for branches? (Note I am in Canada and it is middle of winter so going out side and picking up branches isn’t really an option)

Attachments

• 7DC4CAFB-C317-49D9-8C94-C07FA34181A4.jpeg
    7DC4CAFB-C317-49D9-8C94-C07FA34181A4.jpeg
    334.2 KB · Views: 58
I was pretty sure it was a nosy be by his face

Hi, I can send you a photo of the incloser after work. I ordered a 2x2x4 full screen terrium for him this morning which will be arriving later this week.
I use repti Calcium Without D3 currently, gut loader - Repashy Superload Supplement. I have a 50w basking bulb I will be putting in after work. I have a zoo med 5.0 currently. I turned the mister to 2 minutes and just have to find the best time for it to go off, my humility doesn’t drop as much since I do use live plants!
Get Zoo Med Reptivite with D3 and use it every two weeks. Use your calcium without D3 every feeding, as well. Is your uvb linear (long and skinny) or a compact coil (swirly normal looking light bulb)? Cage looks great, definitely add more branches and vines. You’ll probably just have to order ones from a pet store (online or in person) until summer comes back around

Craft stores too sometimes have them in the floral area. A little cheaper then petshops but still higher priced then online most of the time :rolleyes:.

Back
Top Bottom