Still A Brown Colour

Colinz

Hi guys! I recently bought a nosy be chameleon from one of my local exotic breeders. The male is still a brown with a bright white strip down the side of him and I was wondering if this is normal for him, I believe he is around 8 months or so. Sub-adult age. pictures provide, sorry if they are a bit shitty.

Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - Nosy be, Male, around 8 months (sub adult) and around 2 weeks.
  • Handling - Very minimal, only recently tried to get him comfortable with me
  • Feeding - Crickets, dusted 2 times a week and gutloaded, and between 6-10 every other day.
  • Supplements - Calcium without D3
  • Watering - Mister from I believe zoomed. It goes off every 6 hours for 15seconds, also hand mist once a day. I haven’t seen him drink any water.
  • Fecal Description - Not tested, the poop looks normal size
  • History - He was bought from a local breeder who had a female as well as a pair but only picked up the male.

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Screen 18x18x36
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule? 5. UVB and a new 100w bluelight
  • Temperature -Basking area ranges between 87-91F bottom of the tank is around 78-83. Over night it goes to a low of 75F measured with 3 digital and one dial
  • Humidity - Stays around 60-80%. Hand mister and watering live plants.
  • Plants - Can not remember of the top of my head. Starts with an F
  • Placement - no fans or vents close by and is on top of a table. Some people may go past some days other days bare minimum traffic from people.
  • Location - Ontario, Canada

Current Problem - The current problem is he is staying a brown and at night time he goes almost beige with some red dots while he is sleeping. Not all nights but he does get some little red spots on him.

Attachments

• 2C26E535-001E-41BE-B515-9D4315B1AF2F.jpeg
    2C26E535-001E-41BE-B515-9D4315B1AF2F.jpeg
    230.7 KB · Views: 111
  • D835CDD5-33BC-4565-8A02-235161D179AD.jpeg
    D835CDD5-33BC-4565-8A02-235161D179AD.jpeg
    296.4 KB · Views: 120
  • E635C245-D3A4-4213-9B63-0250BE111371.jpeg
    E635C245-D3A4-4213-9B63-0250BE111371.jpeg
    223.6 KB · Views: 112
  • 68C2CF8B-DB16-49C1-B9E9-CE398804DDE6.jpeg
    68C2CF8B-DB16-49C1-B9E9-CE398804DDE6.jpeg
    277.2 KB · Views: 133
  • 30EAD715-75D2-4269-9919-7AF03C65EFBB.jpeg
    30EAD715-75D2-4269-9919-7AF03C65EFBB.jpeg
    350.1 KB · Views: 131
there are some changes that need to be made to your husbandry

mist minimum of 2 mins preferably 5 maybe put a drainage system in there

calcium with d3 and multivitamin are needed every other week

he needs a bigger cage

use a white basking light, blue can hurt their eyes

is the uvb compact or linear

are you using ficus??? that's great!!

the coloration your describing is that of a girls color, are you sure that it is a nosy be male? or even a male at all??? I think I see the hump at the base of the tail but I'm not to sure.

So would you recommend a 24x24x48 tank then?
The uvb is a reptisun 5.0 mini compact fluorescent
Yes a ficus! I do have a hibiscus plant currently growing will be putting it in once it gets bigger!
I have read without D3 is what is needed why is D3 needed? If you know.
I’ll see if I can get a photo of his tail area, the matching female pair was beside him in a different tank. Unless it could be a female then I guess I’ll have to change the name ahah.

there are some changes that need to be made to your husbandry

mist minimum of 2 mins preferably 5 maybe put a drainage system in there

calcium with d3 and multivitamin are needed every other week

he needs a bigger cage

use a white basking light, blue can hurt their eyes

is the uvb compact or linear

are you using ficus??? that's great!!

the coloration your describing is that of a girls color, are you sure that it is a nosy be male? or even a male at all??? I think I see the hump at the base of the tail but I'm not to sure.

Attachments

• 3AFA073E-B405-4C1E-B830-4BD8CBACE26C.png
    3AFA073E-B405-4C1E-B830-4BD8CBACE26C.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 104
  • AB42C9C2-4E1E-4064-8AC9-A67704913024.png
    AB42C9C2-4E1E-4064-8AC9-A67704913024.png
    1.7 MB · Views: 108
More photos of back sode

Attachments

• D3ECC930-1E97-48CF-AFE4-E7D65BDCB11E.jpeg
    D3ECC930-1E97-48CF-AFE4-E7D65BDCB11E.jpeg
    320.1 KB · Views: 82
  • 89B566C0-1B0E-4CEE-A748-98884BC9E997.jpeg
    89B566C0-1B0E-4CEE-A748-98884BC9E997.jpeg
    296.8 KB · Views: 104
Calcium with D3 is absolutely essential (unless you keep him outside). Without it, he will get MBD and die. You should use it once every other week, but continue using calcium without D3 daily otherwise.

He is 100% definitely male. Just young and hasn't colored up yet. His colors are nothing to worry about

Calcium with D3 is absolutely essential (unless you keep him outside). Without it, he will get MBD and die. You should use it once every other week, but continue using calcium without D3 daily otherwise.

He is 100% definitely male. Just young and hasn't colored up yet. His colors are nothing to worry about
I think my eye sight is just bad but I cannot see the hump lol coloration looks pretty male but I just cant see it, can you!?

Definitely see the hemipenal bulge at the base of the tail. Are you positive on the age? You have a lot of great people on here who would be able to say if they have seen a male at that age still with brown color but honestly he looks healthy which is great in itself. Obviously the colors are amazing but to me keeping such an amazing animal alive and healthy is more important. @Matt Vanilla Gorilla knows I love red but love my healthy babies more.

Last edited:
I have a ambilobe I am holding back to see how he turns out! He is still all brown, black and white lateral line. He is the same size as his siblings with stunning color for age. Late bloomers are often sooooo incredible that I could not let him go! I will try to remember to post a picture of him tomorrow.

Thank you all for all the help! I seriously appreciate it! I didn’t know they could be late bloomers!! I do have a larger tank ordered and on the way. The age I can’t be too certain about but just what the breeder told me!

Hi guys! I recently bought a nosy be chameleon from one of my local exotic breeders. The male is still a brown with a bright white strip down the side of him and I was wondering if this is normal for him, I believe he is around 8 months or so. Sub-adult age. pictures provide, sorry if they are a bit shitty.

Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - Nosy be, Male, around 8 months (sub adult) and around 2 weeks.
  • Handling - Very minimal, only recently tried to get him comfortable with me
  • Feeding - Crickets, dusted 2 times a week and gutloaded, and between 6-10 every other day.
  • Supplements - Calcium without D3
  • Watering - Mister from I believe zoomed. It goes off every 6 hours for 15seconds, also hand mist once a day. I haven’t seen him drink any water.
  • Fecal Description - Not tested, the poop looks normal size
  • History - He was bought from a local breeder who had a female as well as a pair but only picked up the male.

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Screen 18x18x36
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule? 5. UVB and a new 100w bluelight
  • Temperature -Basking area ranges between 87-91F bottom of the tank is around 78-83. Over night it goes to a low of 75F measured with 3 digital and one dial
  • Humidity - Stays around 60-80%. Hand mister and watering live plants.
  • Plants - Can not remember of the top of my head. Starts with an F
  • Placement - no fans or vents close by and is on top of a table. Some people may go past some days other days bare minimum traffic from people.
  • Location - Ontario, Canada

Current Problem - The current problem is he is staying a brown and at night time he goes almost beige with some red dots while he is sleeping. Not all nights but he does get some little red spots on him.
I have a few suggestions and questions for your husbandry, if that’s alright? What do you gutload with? What brand is your calcium? There are many ways to supplement, but to make it easy, I’d just add in Zoo Med Reptivite with D3 every two weeks to your supplement schedule. I’d recommend using the calcium without D3 every feeding or almost every feeding. Make the mistings 1 minute long for now, but I’d upgrade to a better mister and mist for a minimum of 2, but preferably 5, minutes long each time. Make sure to space out the mistings longer for correct humidity. Make sure to have a working drainage system, as well! He also needs to be upgraded to a preferably screen cage a minimum of 2’ by 2’ by 4’ tall or bigger. He needs a linear fixture (t5HO or T8) and linear uvb bulb (Zoo Med 5.0 or Arcadia 6%). Make sure it’s the length of or longer than the cage’s length/width. Could you post a pic of of his cage, please? Get a white light basking bulb (a white light heat incandescent bulb from the hardware store is cheaper and lasts longer than a white light reptile basking bulb). I’d try to knock that overnight temp down lower to 70*F, though preferably colder, and keep the basking at 87*F.

Looks male to me. Features other than color makes me think that it is a Nosy Be. Late bloomers are often absolutely amazing once they reach their full potential!

I was pretty sure it was a nosy be by his face
I have a few suggestions and questions for your husbandry, if that’s alright? What do you gutload with? What brand is your calcium? There are many ways to supplement, but to make it easy, I’d just add in Zoo Med Reptivite with D3 every two weeks to your supplement schedule. I’d recommend using the calcium without D3 every feeding or almost every feeding. Make the mistings 1 minute long for now, but I’d upgrade to a better mister and mist for a minimum of 2, but preferably 5, minutes long each time. Make sure to space out the mistings longer for correct humidity. Make sure to have a working drainage system, as well! He also needs to be upgraded to a preferably screen cage a minimum of 2’ by 2’ by 4’ tall or bigger. He needs a linear fixture (t5HO or T8) and linear uvb bulb (Zoo Med 5.0 or Arcadia 6%). Make sure it’s the length of or longer than the cage’s length/width. Could you post a pic of of his cage, please? Get a white light basking bulb (a white light heat incandescent bulb from the hardware store is cheaper and lasts longer than a white light reptile basking bulb). I’d try to knock that overnight temp down lower to 70*F, though preferably colder, and keep the basking at 87*F.

Hi, I can send you a photo of the incloser after work. I ordered a 2x2x4 full screen terrium for him this morning which will be arriving later this week.
I use repti Calcium Without D3 currently, gut loader - Repashy Superload Supplement. I have a 50w basking bulb I will be putting in after work. I have a zoo med 5.0 currently. I turned the mister to 2 minutes and just have to find the best time for it to go off, my humility doesn’t drop as much since I do use live plants!

I found this photo the tank is a bit different now but this was a before I changed it up a slight bit

Attachments

• E5436E73-1659-4A39-9DEE-ACC28A0C8BD7.jpeg
    E5436E73-1659-4A39-9DEE-ACC28A0C8BD7.jpeg
    260.3 KB · Views: 77
Back
Top Bottom